Happy Spring - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Happy Spring

I was so happy to get my lawn mower running today--my neighbor replaced the battery. My goal was to mow the lawn and check out all the areas I had to replace stone and mulch. I knew I had a big area in the back by the gate--the stone was kicked back leaving an opening under it. I kept it high to keep wildlife out. As I'm cutting the grass I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I already know what it is so I continue on trying to think of a plan. Well mom had different ideas and came to check on her babies. She didn't care Misty(my oldest was out there. Of course Misty chased her, but Misty is old and can't run fast. She was very proud of herself. I finished the grass and called a wildlife center. Oh no you can't move them they say. So I make a shelter for them. Apollo can reach so now I have to make it wider. This is going to be a long 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure how safe they are but I'll try my best....

RZZNSTR likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 PM

you are so nice. I'd have moved the bunnies from my yard. I adore how cute they are but they are not allowed inside my fence to eat my gardens. Besides, if they are inside the fence, what will the fox family eat?
I know it seems mean but I really don't want rabbits thinking my yard is a safe place. We have a nice thicket of woods right next door.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Knighted Member

Ahh, what cuties! Good luck to you and them. I'm a softie, I would try to help them also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I will remove them at 3-4 weeks, hopefully I have good timing. I don't want them in my yard either. I don't care about what they eat, I just don't want the dogs to chase them. Once I remove them I will replace the stone where mama got in. If I move them now she won't find them and they will die, can't do that either.

I would like to know why they would put a nest where there is a ton of dogs?

Tannor knows they are there, but I'm not worried about him

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Master Member

Mom may move them now if she feels her nest has been discovered. A couple of years ago I found a nest in a pile of weeds that I hadn't cleaned up the previous fall. The babies were about the size and development of yours. Within a few days they were gone. It wasn't my dog and there is no way for a big predator to get in. Anyway there would have been signs if they had been eaten by something. Your barrier looks pretty secure!

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnsmom View Post
Mom may move them now if she feels her nest has been discovered. A couple of years ago I found a nest in a pile of weeds that I hadn't cleaned up the previous fall. The babies were about the size and development of yours. Within a few days they were gone. It wasn't my dog and there is no way for a big predator to get in. Anyway there would have been signs if they had been eaten by something. Your barrier looks pretty secure!
I think its secure and you think it's secure but Brennan, Batman and Apollo don't even see the barrier. Looks like one dog at a time for the next couple weeks and a long line on Apollo.

Mom knows they have been discovered and she knows there is a dog that will chase her. You would think she would move them. We will see.

Last edited by llombardo; 04-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:52 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I think its secure and you think it's secure but Brennan, Batman and Apollo don't even see the barrier. Looks like one dog at a time for the next couple weeks and a long line on Apollo.

Mom knows they have been discovered and she knows there is a dog that will chase her. You would think she would move them. We will see.
Quinn was young and a demon sniffer back when we had the nest. Baby bunnies have little to no odour and he never twigged to where they were. He was not allowed to mosey around loose when they were there but he was close the day I uncovered them. Check this resource for the time line in baby bunny development - scroll down. What should you do if you find a baby rabbit? | Den Herder Vet

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

The first Spring we had Ziva I discovered a bunny nest in the middle of my front lawn during my first mow. I almost mowed right over it and them. I didn't do anything but mow around the nest that time and a week later. After that they were gone. I can't even imagine why momma bunny made her nest in the middle of my front lawn. It was a very unprotected place but she seemed to not mind the foot traffic on the lawn, near by street and the neighborhood wandering cats. You'll probably go out one day soon and discover they have moved on.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Happy spring! The momma rabbit must of known they would be in good hands.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We are on day one and I'm stressed out. Apollo is super fast and focused on them and he is giving me a hard time going to the bathroom on a long line. Brennan and Batman have no access to the yard, they are only allowed in the dog run. Misty, Tannor, Robyn and Midnite are doing well. Tannor gets excited when he sees them moving. I'm considering taking them in during the day and putting them back out at 5. The mother comes once maybe twice to feed them and they like 12am-5 am to do so. Or I have to find better fencing because Apollo does not even see it.

Today I let Tannor and Misty sniff them or the butts because I don't trust them trying to grab a head. Tannor gave them kisses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page