• 1 Post By Die Fledermaus
  • 4 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 4 Post By gsdsar
  • 1 Post By Die Fledermaus
  • 2 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 3 Post By ksotto333

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

1st Time Camping - What were your experiences?

I'm going camping in a couple weeks.

I've not brought my Shepherd camping with me yet. I have brought my older dog dozens of times and he's a breeze. (now anyways)
One thing I've learned about taking a dog camping is they will surprise you sometimes with behaviors you didnt expect. My Kelpie I took camping several years ago (one of his first times). We were in the desert and there were hardly any people there. It wasnt campground camping, but open camping in BLM land so it was very empty of people and very quiet. We hiked to the top of a hill at night with flashlights (no trees so you could see far if there was light) and he could see people down below walking with flashlights through the wash (about 1/2 mile away). He just started barking furiously like never before. He was beside himself. He thought for sure these were beings out to kill us all. Normally I could stop him from barking with a word, but nothing I did could stop him! I even closed his mouth with my hand and he wriggled free and kept barking. It was as frustrating as it was funny. It was embarrassing because I didnt want to piss off anyone.
After that trip I realized he needs to be inside a tent or a vehicle at night. He is on full alert at night while camping. He turns into this sentry or Golum. Still as stone until he sees something moving in the dark, then he's ready to kill. yikes! Something he doesnt do EVER at home.
The picture is of him at home, but he hears coyotes out behind our back fence. Thats how he looks at night when we are camping. Ready to go. LOL

So I'm a little hesitant to bring my shepherd camping. Not because I dont think I can control him from running off and killing something, but because of the unkown. I dont know what he'll be like.

Do any of you have some good camping stories about behaviors your dogs had camping that you didnt expect?
Attached Images

semcat66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Fledermaus View Post
I'm going camping in a couple weeks.

I've not brought my Shepherd camping with me yet. I have brought my older dog dozens of times and he's a breeze. (now anyways)
One thing I've learned about taking a dog camping is they will surprise you sometimes with behaviors you didnt expect. My Kelpie I took camping several years ago (one of his first times). We were in the desert and there were hardly any people there. It wasnt campground camping, but open camping in BLM land so it was very empty of people and very quiet. We hiked to the top of a hill at night with flashlights (no trees so you could see far if there was light) and he could see people down below walking with flashlights through the wash (about 1/2 mile away). He just started barking furiously like never before. He was beside himself. He thought for sure these were beings out to kill us all. Normally I could stop him from barking with a word, but nothing I did could stop him! I even closed his mouth with my hand and he wriggled free and kept barking. It was as frustrating as it was funny. It was embarrassing because I didnt want to piss off anyone.
After that trip I realized he needs to be inside a tent or a vehicle at night. He is on full alert at night while camping. He turns into this sentry or Golum. Still as stone until he sees something moving in the dark, then he's ready to kill. yikes! Something he doesnt do EVER at home.
The picture is of him at home, but he hears coyotes out behind our back fence. Thats how he looks at night when we are camping. Ready to go. LOL

So I'm a little hesitant to bring my shepherd camping. Not because I dont think I can control him from running off and killing something, but because of the unkown. I dont know what he'll be like.

Do any of you have some good camping stories about behaviors your dogs had camping that you didnt expect?
Nesting. I think my first GSD picked up the habit from a friend's husky, and years later my second GSD learned from the older one. Both of them have a method of swirling my extra clothing and rain gear into a tight little ball around themselves when it's cold. Neither of them ever do anything like this at home - only when we're camping.

My older GSD can unzip tents with ease, inside/outside, both directions. We went on a trip last year that required a ton of gear, so we brought two tents for three humans and two GSDs. I put Tica in a tent with my husband. I had a second tent set up for myself, a friend, and Ayla (who was a puppy at the time). As soon as my husband fell asleep, Tica let herself out of his tent, crossed the clearing, unzipped the tent door and let herself into my tent, where she curled into a ball and went to sleep. Apparently I'm the favored one.

Soooo.... it might be a good idea to bring small carabiners and clip your tent zippers shut. I'm a light sleeper, but my husband slept right through the stealthy dog relocation.

Before you leave, you might set up your tent in your backyard and enforce Tent Time = Settle/Nap Time.

Have a great trip, take pictures!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I used to do more camping, but it's been years now. Last time was what is called "survival night" in SAR. Pretty much have to go out into the woods and survive with only what's in your 24 hour pack. And it's always in cold weather. Mine was in Feb.

I had my boy Ike with me. And I quickly learned that he had zero understanding of "fire danger". Zero. Lol

Twice during the night a person comes to check on everyone to make sure they are safe. For me it was guy named Heath. He would call out as he was walking through the woods so as not to surprise any of the dogs(we were all separated out of view and hearing of each other). The first time he came through Ike was alert but did nothing. The second time, Ike grabbed a BURNING LOG OFF THE FIRE" and went running to greet him. Smoke pouring out of his mouth.

Never expected that.

Also, he did NOT want to be cuddled with me. He wanted to curl into his own ball away from me outside of my cruddy homemade tarp tent. I was freezing, he was warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Nesting. I think my first GSD picked up the habit from a friend's husky, and years later my second GSD learned from the older one. Both of them have a method of swirling my extra clothing and rain gear into a tight little ball around themselves when it's cold. Neither of them ever do anything like this at home - only when we're camping.

My older GSD can unzip tents with ease, inside/outside, both directions. We went on a trip last year that required a ton of gear, so we brought two tents for three humans and two GSDs. I put Tica in a tent with my husband. I had a second tent set up for myself, a friend, and Ayla (who was a puppy at the time). As soon as my husband fell asleep, Tica let herself out of his tent, crossed the clearing, unzipped the tent door and let herself into my tent, where she curled into a ball and went to sleep. Apparently I'm the favored one.

Soooo.... it might be a good idea to bring small carabiners and clip your tent zippers shut. I'm a light sleeper, but my husband slept right through the stealthy dog relocation.

Before you leave, you might set up your tent in your backyard and enforce Tent Time = Settle/Nap Time.

Have a great trip, take pictures!
LOL. that is so funny! And cute! good ideas on tent time and caribiners! "stealthy dog relocation" lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Ike grabbed a BURNING LOG OFF THE FIRE" and went running to greet him. Smoke pouring out of his mouth.

Never expected that.

Also, he did NOT want to be cuddled with me. He wanted to curl into his own ball away from me outside of my cruddy homemade tarp tent. I was freezing, he was warm.
OMG LOLOLOL

i did laugh out loud at this one.
gsdsar likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I used to do more camping, but it's been years now. Last time was what is called "survival night" in SAR. Pretty much have to go out into the woods and survive with only what's in your 24 hour pack. And it's always in cold weather. Mine was in Feb.

I had my boy Ike with me. And I quickly learned that he had zero understanding of "fire danger". Zero. Lol

Twice during the night a person comes to check on everyone to make sure they are safe. For me it was guy named Heath. He would call out as he was walking through the woods so as not to surprise any of the dogs(we were all separated out of view and hearing of each other). The first time he came through Ike was alert but did nothing. The second time, Ike grabbed a BURNING LOG OFF THE FIRE" and went running to greet him. Smoke pouring out of his mouth.

Never expected that.

I couldn't help myself.... I laughed.
gsdsar and Daisy&Lucky's Mom like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Knighted Member

What we've discovered is that they are more on edge, and bark quicker than at home. Things they ignore at home, they alert to at campsite. so we have to be more on guard and alert. We love taking them, and they have a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_3174-IMAG2658-1335628134.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	418601  
gsdsar, Die Fledermaus and car2ner like this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page