• 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

They should string this guy up

From the FDA website:

Update of CVM's What's New - Printing and Packaging CEO Pleads Guilty to Trafficking in Counterfeit Labels and Packaging
04/13/2017
Printing and Packaging CEO Pleads Guilty to Trafficking in Counterfeit Labels and Packaging

A 48-year-old California resident has entered a guilty plea to trafficking in counterfeit labels and packaging, announced Acting U.S. Attorney Abe Martinez.

Paul S. Rodriguez Jr. was the CEO of Action Packing and Design Inc. in Santa Ana, California. Between July 2015 and December 2016, Rodriguez intentionally trafficked in counterfeit labels and packaging by manufacturing, and then shipping to Houston, counterfeit and trademarked Frontline, Frontline Plus and Merial veterinary product labels and packaging. The labels and packaging were originally marketed by Merial - an animal health company located in Duluth, Georgia

During this same period, Rodriguez also intentionally trafficked in counterfeit trademarked Rimadyl labels, a veterinary product that Zoetis marketed. Zoetis is a health company located in Florham Park, New Jersey.

Sentencing is currently set for Oct. 2, 2017, before U.S. District Judge Nancy F. Atlas, at which time Rodriguez faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a possible $2 million fine. He was permitted to remain on bond pending that hearing.

The Food and Drug Administration-Office of Criminal Investigations and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations conducted the investigation. Assistant U. S. Attorney Daniel C. Rodriguez is prosecuting the case.

Lynn & Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

He needs jail and every bit of that two million dollar fine.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

WOW. I hope the victim pet owners are able to testify at his sentencing hearing. Counterfeit painkiller is ghastly for dogs who really need pain meds for acute pain.

Merial also makes Heartgard, so I wonder if that was in the mix too.

This is a wakeup call about the importance of buying pet meds only only from legitimate pharmacies sourcing through FDA-approved channels (i.e., Vet-VIPPS certified pharmacies, buying from the authorized manufacturer distributor -- not "some guy" who has some "really cheap" meds).
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
WOW. I hope the victim pet owners are able to testify at his sentencing hearing. Counterfeit painkiller is ghastly for dogs who really need pain meds for acute pain.

Merial also makes Heartgard, so I wonder if that was in the mix too.

This is a wakeup call about the importance of buying pet meds only only from legitimate pharmacies sourcing through FDA-approved channels (i.e., Vet-VIPPS certified pharmacies, buying from the authorized manufacturer distributor -- not "some guy" who has some "really cheap" meds).
I have a question - do you know if Amazon sources through FDA-approved channels? I've ordered tick products from Amazon occasionally.

After reading this thread (which is horrific) I went back and looked through my purchase history.... the manufacturer is listed as "Merial" (official). A variety of UPC numbers are listed on the item info page. Shipping info: "Special Shipping Information: This product may not be available for 1 or 2 day shipping due to federal regulations that require it to ship via ground ship methods only. This product can only be shipped within the 48 contiguous states."

This is so disgusting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I have a question - do you know if Amazon sources through FDA-approved channels? I've ordered tick products from Amazon occasionally.
Alas, I do not -- but it's a really interesting question. There's so much scumbaggery on Amazon with fake products that I'd avoid them for meds if this stuff is known to be going on -- it's sometimes really hard to know if you're "really" buying from Amazon, the Manufacturer, or "some guy."

Valley Vet usually has prices as least as good as Amazon (but no free Prime shipping...).

Here's the current list of Vet-VIPPS accredited sites:
https://nabp.pharmacy/programs/vet-v...armacies-list/

What's interesting here is that KV Supply is no longer on it. They used to be, and I bought a lot from them because they were great. They were just sold...so it's very interesting that the new owner isn't accredited. Hm.

ETA: I just called KV to find out what's going on with the new owners. The new owner doesn't have a pharmacy right now --they're actually filling the RX through Pet's Choice (= Lambert), which IS Vet-VIPPS accredited. So it's still a legitimate source (and one of the best priced)...but I'm annoyed that they aren't disclosing who's filling the order on their website.
Nigel likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 04-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Alas, I do not -- but it's a really interesting question. There's so much scumbaggery on Amazon with fake products that I'd avoid them for meds if this stuff is known to be going on -- it's sometimes really hard to know if you're "really" buying from Amazon, the Manufacturer, or "some guy."
They've made this much easier recently, but I still can't imagine ever buying something along the lines of medication still. Definitely not without heavily researching and vetting it.

Definitely need to string this guy up. Jeeze.

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks @Magwart - good info, I'll source elsewhere. The convenience of Prime is hard to beat, but I do not want to screw around with meds.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

Very much agree with your title...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

What did he sell in place of Rimadyl? Anyone who has ever used it knows what it looks and smells like. It was going to be noticed. What if the substitute had poisoned dogs?
NerdicEclipse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page