How does everyone view their relationship with their dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

How does everyone view their relationship with their dogs?

Curious as to how everyone feels about the dog/owner relationship and how they view their dogs. Do you see them as partners, furry children, workers etc? My wife views them more like children, I view my dog more as a partner ( not an equal ) . I watch his back he watches mine. I take care of him and try to be worthy of the dogs loyalty and obedience and he provides me with companionship and a measure of protection. My dog is tasked with watching things around the property, sort of a security guard, and letting me know if I need to attend to something, helping watch out for livestock predators etc. How does everyone else feel about it?
squerly and astrovan2487 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I think of my dogs as a combination of "Partner" and "Employee".

The relationship changes as the dog ages.... I think of my older dog as a partner/companion. My younger dog (who is in training/trialing) is more of a partner/employee. Both are loved very much, and I don't use that word lightly.
car2ner and LBethO like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Master Member

Like a dog not a child, they are dependent on me and I keep them because they provide me with emotional stability, a hobby and companionship. I expect no back watching because they are not trained to do that task, I do my very best to care for them because I find it irresponsible to take a lesser being into your care if you're not willing to provide the optimal care you can. I don't expect much in return for my care except their loyalty and affection.

I very much see my pets as an extension of myself, I would say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

"Partner and employee" said it better than I did. Perfect description for how I feel. Definately more partner as they age. For me 6-7 years of age seems to be when they really start showing some good wisdom. Its nice to have a dog and it doesnt feel so much like babysitting lol
semcat66 and LBethO like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

" an extension of myself" fantastic!
During the short periods where I have been between dogs it feels like a part of myself is missing... Anyone else feel that way?
semcat66 likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
During the short periods where I have been between dogs it feels like a part of myself is missing... Anyone else feel that way?
Yep. When I left my family dog with my parents and moved into a college dorm, I felt that way. Going for walks without a leash in my hand felt very strange, like I was constantly forgetting something. My childhood dog used to sleep under my bed, and it took me a while to get used to the absence of quiet dog sleeping/dreaming sounds in the middle of the night.
car2ner and semcat66 like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Lol!I've posted before about feeling my dogs are extensions of myself.Now to change it up a bit,I think we are a team.We each have different skill sets and positions within our little group.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Its too bad they dont live alot longer.... Half jokingly told my wife I was gonna have my last dog cloned.... Didnt go over very well lol. I guess the short time we get them is part of the magic though.... I was going through a bad time in my life then and that dog really helped me through. And then when I was through that bad time she passed away very shortly after at 8 years old... Almost like that particular dog was there at that time for a reason....
Sabis mom, semcat66 and LBethO like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Master Member

With my 9 year old WL girl, MacKenzie, I view her as more of a partner. She runs with me a lot when I train for marathons and she comes with me when I go on hikes and travel, so it's kind of like two close friends enjoying life.

With my brand new 8 week old puppy, Wolf, it's definitely more of a mother relationship. I'm in full on mama bear mode around him. But as he gets older, that may change like it did with Mac.

I definitely see them as the older, annoyed but humoring sister and the young goofy obnoxious brother.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
There will never not be a dog in my house. I don't know how I would survive. They make the house feel like a home and they keep me healthy by running with me. I'm single, so they are my family. They give me a kind of purpose and something to come home to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
astrovan2487 and semcat66 like this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page