Crotch sniffer!s - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Crotch sniffer!s

Hello All! My shepherd routinely sniffs my crotch as a greeting, which is understandable. She will even come into the bathroom after I shower and try to stick her nose up my butt - YIKES! So far, we have had few visitors, but when they come, is there a way to discourage her from doing This? Yikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 AM
Knighted Member

You can try to teach her the command 'no sniff'. Start by using it on walks, when she stops to sniff something.

I had a GSD rescue that was a very dedicated sniffer. When you took her into a strange room, she wouldn't settle until every square inch of the room had been sniffed. She was also a crotch sniffer, and we were never able to break her of the habit. I think I might have been able to do it on my own, but I was married at the time, and my husband was more, um, forgiving of her behaviour than I was.

He often commented about how accurate she was when she sniffed his crotch. She'd almost always touch him right on the end of his penis, even if he was wearing several layers of clothing.

Later, I wondered if she was trying to tell him something. He was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2004, and died in November of that year...
giebel likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

I taught a good solid "leave it" and use that.
giebel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Knighted Member

Another thing is, ALL crotches must be off limits. If you let the dog do it to you, you can't expect her not to do it to other people! (And that's probably why the 'no sniff' command failed in my household...SOMEBODY wasn't on board with that!)
maxtmill and LBethO like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sounds like ... "Bonker Time" to me ... I can provide details if required.
LBethO likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:00 PM

A good "leave it" for all people butts, and they get it eventually!

A woman visited our house wearing a long dress back when my dog was a puppy, and the first thing he did was fling her dress up with his head and stick his nose on her butt... it was embarrassing LOL.
Slamdunc, maxtmill, Chip18 and 1 others like this.

While they might not always be right, and you might not always agree, you can still find lessons to be learned from just about everyone.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Knighted Member

My husband learned about teaching the 'no sniff' command when Tasha did exactly that to an off-duty police officer! Talk about EMBARRASSING!!
Chip18 and Coleen like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM

Years ago I was in Niagara Falls on a business trip and I had my male GSD with me. We stayed at a hotel and one morning I was walking through the lobby to our car. I stopped to get a cup of coffee and my dog was on a 6' leash. There was a tourist bus filled with Japanese tourists and the lobby was very busy. As I was pouring my coffee a young Japanese woman was stnading next to me getting breakfast. All of a sudden she screamed and jumped and yelled something in Japanese at me. I looked and my dog had his head under her skirt and was sniffing her butt. Initially, the woman thought it was me and was yelling something at me. I turned and looked at her and said "I'm sorry, but why are you yelling at me?" I pointed to my dog, which she never noticed and said "he did it." She saw the dog and jumped even higher and yelled even more. I tried to apologize but there was a clear language barrier.

I will never forget the look on her face when she saw the dog.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Another thing is, ALL crotches must be off limits. If you let the dog do it to you, you can't expect her not to do it to other people! (And that's probably why the 'no sniff' command failed in my household...SOMEBODY wasn't on board with that!)
Good point. I have a new puppy who sticks her nose in our business. I need to nip that in the bud.

LEAVE IT and or Bonker it is!

Love Mercy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Years ago I was in Niagara Falls on a business trip and I had my male GSD with me. We stayed at a hotel and one morning I was walking through the lobby to our car. I stopped to get a cup of coffee and my dog was on a 6' leash. There was a tourist bus filled with Japanese tourists and the lobby was very busy. As I was pouring my coffee a young Japanese woman was stnading next to me getting breakfast. All of a sudden she screamed and jumped and yelled something in Japanese at me. I looked and my dog had his head under her skirt and was sniffing her butt. Initially, the woman thought it was me and was yelling something at me. I turned and looked at her and said "I'm sorry, but why are you yelling at me?" I pointed to my dog, which she never noticed and said "he did it." She saw the dog and jumped even higher and yelled even more. I tried to apologize but there was a clear language barrier.

I will never forget the look on her face when she saw the dog.
I am officially a terrible human being.

I cannot stop laughing at this story.
Slamdunc, maxtmill and Sunsilver like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page