That darn scale - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

That darn scale

I'm wondering why some vets have wee scales...well, I guess it's all relative lol, but, that, and they place them in the corner, so you have to awkwardly walk your dog up then try and get a sit or stand, while his head is into the front wall ...oh, and all the while the scale looks like a black abyss. I can get Phoenix onto our regular vet's scale, no problem, but I have a visit with another vet and he hates that scale, has since he was 6 months old, and by the way, when he was a great deal smaller! Now he's way too long for that darn scale lol. We don't push it, I try a couple of times with treats and calm guidance up on the scale, but it has not yet worked on that particular scale, he just hates it. I might get him partially on, then he gets concerned. I really think it looks like the pit of "H E double hockey sticks" Any other ideas of what I might try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 PM

Pick him up, put him on, hold his collar until he stops fussing... "stay buddy" "good boy" call it a day.... it's not something he encounters often, just make it happen.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Lol, sorry, should have clarified, Phoenix is almost 2years old, about 86 lbs, picking him up is not an option the last time, I did man handle him a bit, to get his bum back on, I got the two paw grab, he was hanging to my leg for dear life lol, i guess if I'm worried about his weight, I'll just stop by the regular vet afterward, he gets on their scale! It's just weird how he reacts to one negatively and not another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Lol, sorry, should have clarified, Phoenix is almost 2years old, about 86 lbs, picking him up is not an option the last time, I did man handle him a bit, to get his bum back on, I got the two paw grab, he was hanging to my leg for dear life lol, i guess if I'm worried about his weight, I'll just stop by the regular vet afterward, he gets on their scale! It's just weird how he reacts to one negatively and not another.
Our vets scale is set in an alcove. It is just big enough for my boy and he will get on it but doesn't like staying in there and squirms a bit for a really good read. The scale that our local feed and grain store has one in an open area so I weigh him there a day or two before the visit and report that to the vet.

The way I look at it is; he is good at the vets but he works hard at being good and is obviously stressed so anything I can do to minimize it is a plus.
LittleBear likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Our vets scale is set in an alcove. It is just big enough for my boy and he will get on it but doesn't like staying in there and squirms a bit for a really good read. The scale that our local feed and grain store has one in an open area so I weigh him there a day or two before the visit and report that to the vet.

The way I look at it is; he is good at the vets but he works hard at being good and is obviously stressed so anything I can do to minimize it is a plus.
Yes, very true. I have been very proud in the past of how well behaved Phoenix is when out in public, and at the vet's office in general. The tricky part really is keeping them on full-body, long enough to get a reading! Bum off...front leg off, back leg on..nope, back leg off, he just doesn't fit! I thought about bringing in a blanket he is familiar with, and placing it over the scale, just to make it more pleasant...but really, maybe I just do what works, weigh him at my other vet office where he is more comfortable and call it a day
Heartandsoul likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I'm wondering why some vets have wee scales...well, I guess it's all relative lol, but, that, and they place them in the corner, so you have to awkwardly walk your dog up then try and get a sit or stand, while his head is into the front wall ...oh, and all the while the scale looks like a black abyss. I can get Phoenix onto our regular vet's scale, no problem, but I have a visit with another vet and he hates that scale, has since he was 6 months old, and by the way, when he was a great deal smaller! Now he's way too long for that darn scale lol. We don't push it, I try a couple of times with treats and calm guidance up on the scale, but it has not yet worked on that particular scale, he just hates it. I might get him partially on, then he gets concerned. I really think it looks like the pit of "H E double hockey sticks" Any other ideas of what I might try?
Have you considered using a "climb" or "place" command? We use both- place for flat surfaces and climb for anything that's raised off of the ground that requires her to step or jump up! We practice "climb" on just about anything we can to desensitize her. That way, the weirdly placed scale at the vet seems like no big deal
LittleBear likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Master Member

Years ago I went to a vet that used one of those OLD OLD scales with one of those teeter totters at the top. The base would clank back and forth while you're trying to get your dog on their, very intimidating sound, then the clanking of the measurement teeter totter to get in the right range, takes forever for them to get it in the right spot to see the weight. Once my GSD reached full height and length it was impossible to get him all the way on that thing.

Luckily my current vet has a scale built into the ground and the space is much bigger.
LittleBear likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Master Member

Slightly off topic, this reminds me of the time we were in the waiting room at the e-vet last year, when a young man came in with his mid-size dog. The dog would not sit on that scale, no matter how nicely he asked (and he was asking, not telling). Finally the vet assistant asked him to get on the scale, first alone, then with dog, so they could determine its weight. The man actually started emptying his pockets (keys, wallet, anything that would weigh him down). I had to bite my tongue not to start laughing!
LittleBear and kenzandel like this.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Time for a little game. It requires a bath mat.

Put the bath mat in your living room. and tell your dog, PLACE! and with a treat get him to put a paw on it. Work on it, until your dog will sit every bit of his bod on that bath mat to get his treat.

Now take the bath mat outside and put it on the side walk. Put it in the garage. Put it at the end of the drive when there are people walking along, and play your bath mat game.

Take your bath mat to the park, and on the trail. Take it to a bunch of different places and play your bath mat game.

Put it in some interesting places like at the climb-ey thing at the play ground, or up on a ledge, or in an alcove. Oh, and after he has the idea, vary how long before you give a treat. You want to be able to get a reading before giving him the treat if possible.

Now take it to the vet and place it on the scale, Tell him, PLACE -- get your reading, treat your dog.

If it works, great! If it doesn't, well you had a lot of fun playing with a bath mat and your dog, spent no money and probably spiked the curiosity or humor of a couple of dozen people along the way.
Slamdunc and LittleBear like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 04-11-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
Years ago I went to a vet that used one of those OLD OLD scales with one of those teeter totters at the top. The base would clank back and forth while you're trying to get your dog on their, very intimidating sound, then the clanking of the measurement teeter totter to get in the right range, takes forever for them to get it in the right spot to see the weight. Once my GSD reached full height and length it was impossible to get him all the way on that thing.

Luckily my current vet has a scale built into the ground and the space is much bigger.
Haha, my doctor's office still has one, I'm convinced it is off, it's always 10 lbs more than I actually weigh....really
Suki's Mom and Dracovich like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page