Toy Drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gsdsar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Toy Drive

I have some questions and curiosities about toy drive. My guy has an absolutely insatiable toy drive, for all of his toys. He will play fetch or tug for hours on end if you engage him. I try not to leave them on the floor so we have defined play times. Is there something more constructive I can be doing with this drive? Or are his toys it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:41 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemi45 View Post
I have some questions and curiosities about toy drive. My guy has an absolutely insatiable toy drive, for all of his toys. He will play fetch or tug for hours on end if you engage him. I try not to leave them on the floor so we have defined play times. Is there something more constructive I can be doing with this drive? Or are his toys it?
Use the toys as a reward for training!! If he sits, play tug! When he comes when called, play with a toy! but make the toys interactive. Dont just give him a toy and let him go, make the toy come alive when you have it, teach him to want to play WITH you and the toy.
RZZNSTR likes this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Use the toys as a reward for training!! If he sits, play tug! When he comes when called, play with a toy! but make the toys interactive. Dont just give him a toy and let him go, make the toy come alive when you have it, teach him to want to play WITH you and the toy.
Yea I have pretty much focused his training around his toys. Although he seems to have an equally high food drive. Needless to say I have many ways to get him to do what I ask. I just want to teach him more but I guess I really don't know how to go about doing that. Or rather what to teach him. I have never had a dog that is so willing and able to learn and to please. I am sure he could pick up nearly anything I tried to teach him.

Archer

Last edited by BigHemi45; 04-11-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Use his toys in search games. Great way to use his mind and wear him out. Also do obedience for thrown toys. Start on a long line, ask for a down/sit, throw toy, release. As he gets better at it, you can ask for fronts, heeling before sending, or release and ask for a down/sit/stand before he gets to the ball. I do this and then the dog gets to search for his ball in the tall grasses once released.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page