Switching to a smaller car? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeoRose

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Switching to a smaller car?

I've been considering switching to a smaller car (sedan-honda civic?) vs. my current SUV (Rav4 2011) Im unsure how this will effect life with a german shepherd in terms of bringing him around.

We currently just have him in the back seat (and in the process of buying him a seat belt) He likes to have his front legs off the seat and on the ground because he likes to come up next to us. (again in the process of looking for something to either level the area or prevent him from going forward.

We never used a crate to transport him but we have had to transport his crate a couple times when someone would be looking after him. (Though I may be able to enlist help in the future for this as its not something we do often)

Was wondering if a smaller car is even feasible and if other owners do this or should I just stick with the Rav 4? He is currently 80-85lbs at 11 months old - and 1year in two weeks YAY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Master Member

I can carry a 55 pound GSD, a 48 pound mutt, and a 38 pound APBT in a 2002 Ford Taurus. Everyone wears a harness, and is buckled in. The GSD and mutt ride in the back seat, and the APBT rides in the front.
le.tetrish likes this.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
I can carry a 55 pound GSD, a 48 pound mutt, and a 38 pound APBT in a 2002 Ford Taurus. Everyone wears a harness, and is buckled in. The GSD and mutt ride in the back seat, and the APBT rides in the front.
That is reassuring! Thanks Can i ask what harness do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Master Member

Leo (GSD) uses a Bergan harness, while Ilka (mutt) and Lily (pittie) use two different styles of Kurgo harness.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 PM

I have a subaru outback 07 and a mini cooper clubman 2012. With the back seats down my 90lb gsd fit fine in the mini cooper clubman( I use a partition) and the gas mileage is much better than the outback. For longer trips I would use the outback though. I will see if I can find a photo. When my dog was a pup I was able to fit him in the back of my 73 vw ghia but he quickly outgrew that car. !

Last edited by giebel; 04-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page