Found abandoned dog (non GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Found abandoned dog (non GSD)

Hello all, first things first, I apologize if this comes off with the wrong tone as I'm a bit frustrated by this whole situation and the info I've been given from local sources.

On to the subject at hand now. I went on a camping trip to Ocala National Forest about 1.5 hours away from where I live and found a beautiful abandoned, relatively young female hound just roaming the woods, thirsty as living **** (been very dry/hot here in Central Fla). She was roaming around without a collar and had absolutely no idea what she was doing which rules her out as far as being a hunting hound as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, we scooped her up and stopped by the local fire department who let us in on how regularly this kind of thing actually occurs (ended up upsetting me even more honestly).

The fact of the matter is​ that we can't keep her. I live in a 3 room apartment on a 3rd floor with Kojak, my 90 lb German Shepherd, who takes up most of my time as is. Not to mention that I, unfortunately, can't afford another dog.

What kills me is how sweet a dog she is. We picked like 30 ticks off her yesterday while bathing her and she didn't let off so much as one whimper. She slept like a baby in an extra crate we had and lined with some blankets. She hasn't had one accident either in her crate or where we're keeping her currently (shaded balcony).

Honestly, reading this over seems like I'm just ranting but I'm just looking for some advice if anyone has ever been in this situation. So far, local no kill shelters have all said they can't take her because she wasn't found in their county. I'm just trying to give her the best shot at finding a good place.

Thanks again everyone and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Elite Member

Good on you for taking her in.
I did a quick search.
https://www.houndhaven.org
Is in your area.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned

If you can offer to foster in place??? That would go along way towards helping her.
Stevenzachsmom and Mudypoz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM

And if you haven't already perhaps bring her somewhere to have her checked for a microchip. If you are lucky she might have one.
LeoRose, Chip18 and Mudypoz like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Knighted Member

Love the hound face, so sweet. Hope all works out and thank you for being so good to her.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Just left my local vet and unfortunately no chip . I did contact HoundHaven as mentioned above and am waiting to hear back from them. Just spent some time with her on the balcony and she jumped on me licking​ my face which almost brought me to tears haha.

Really hoping to find her the right spot!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionAvs View Post
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Just left my local vet and unfortunately no chip . I did contact HoundHaven as mentioned above and am waiting to hear back from them. Just spent some time with her on the balcony and she jumped on me licking​ my face which almost brought me to tears haha.

Really hoping to find her the right spot!
Keep us posted.

Snitches get stitches.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Master Member

I'm pretty lucky to have good local no kill shelters. The last dog I brought in was there maybe 2 weeks and went to a good home with an elderly woman.

What's worse is when you find the owner and they are worthless human beings who don't deserve that pet, but you have no legal rights to the animal. The specific dog that brought me into that situation had a wonderful personality, I wanted to keep him so bad and he kept running away from his home to be with me and my dogs. He would sit outside the gate until someone came out to let him in. I originally found him dodging cars in the street and he was COVERED in feces. The owner kept him at his marijuana farm and would leave him there with employees while he went back home to California, I had the dog maybe 2 weeks before the owner knew he was gone, and again for another week and a few days off and on when the dog kept running back.

Sorry now I'm ranting. I sympathize with you, some dog owners suck
Chip18 likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for rescuing her. Just as a precaution, you have to be careful not to get your self in legal trouble like I once did (almost) by taking in a found dog. Call your AC agency to make sure you are doing the right thing. Hounds travel when given the chance so she may have a home. She looks lovely. Rooting for her.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Thank you for rescuing her. Just as a precaution, you have to be careful not to get your self in legal trouble like I once did (almost) by taking in a found dog. Call your AC agency to make sure you are doing the right thing. Hounds travel when given the chance so she may have a home. She looks lovely. Rooting for her.
Just got off the phone with them they said I'm doing right by them. Apparently, I just have to try and find the owner but if I can't find them within 30 days, she's legally mine. If I find a home for her then the same condition applies, they have to have her for 30 days. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page