Coated GSD Owners - paw fur/traction - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By LittleBear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Coated GSD Owners - paw fur/traction

Our boy has a lot of extra fur on his paws and between his toes. No big deal, except on hardwood floors. On wood floors the poor guy has no traction at all because of those fury paws.

Do any of you trim the fur at the bottom of their paws for this reason? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Also, any other suggestions, observations, etc. related to coaties are welcome. Best brushes, shampoos, and what not. This is our first one. He's coated, but does have an undercoat (I know many coaties lack the undercoat).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:46 PM

I don't have a coatie GSD, but I do have a fluffy Keeshond (a double-coat breed) - and I trim her toe hair regularly. Not too short, just short enough to be flush with her pads. It definitely helps her to have better traction, and we have 90% wood floors with some rugs throughout our house. I used to trim it less regularly, but as she's gotten older, I'm much more on top of it than when she was a youngster.

ETA:
As far as brush recommendations, you may get better/different ideas from GSD people, but I'd highly recommend a good undercoat rake, standard slicker, and a nice-quality pin brush. All part of our regular grooming routine!

- Kayla

Dover von Ziegeln Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 PM

My boy is still growing in his adult coat, but the fur on the bottom of his pads grows like weeds. I regularly shave it off using relatively cheap basic Andis clippers (#10 blade) that I got from Chewy. I also use some grooming scissors to pull up the hair from in between his paws and clip that. Helps give him traction on my hardwood/tiled floors and he tracks in less mud and dirt overall.

I second Mesonoxian's recommendations for brushes. I would also just get a standard metal comb for tangles - I've found that works better than my slicker and pin brush for combing out his butt/back leg area. I brush him once a day just to maintain, and probably shave his pads and clean up his feet every couple weeks or so.

Rocket (pomeranian) - 01/2002 - 03/2016
Hircine vom HausReid "Sawyer" (GSD) - 11/24/16

-Alyssa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Ranger has so much longer hair around toes we call him dr Seuss feet. We trim them more often during the winter for traction and to keep the "ice balls" from forming. I think summer hiking on dirt and rocky terrain helps keep it at bay just a little. We use a good comb for most of the grooming on both our coaties.
LittleBear likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Ranger has so much longer hair around toes we call him dr Seuss feet. We trim them more often during the winter for traction and to keep the "ice balls" from forming. I think summer hiking on dirt and rocky terrain helps keep it at bay just a little. We use a good comb for most of the grooming on both our coaties.
Oh I forgot how much fun those ice balls were! Shadow used to stop, lay down and pick them out some of them were the size of golf balls lol...yup, trimming the Dr. Seuss feet is a must! And the pantaloons, that's what I used to call the excess leg fur...he'd get dread-locks of frozen ice and snow, good combs and getting the pup used to daily brushing, and regular trimming that's what I'd recommend.
Nigel likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the responses! We will be trimmng those paws!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Don't forget the pantaloons lol, they can get a bit matted, easier to brush out if they aren't too shaggy and long, so give them a trim too...and for sure they get a bit clumpy near the hind, I could have made a scarf with all the excess hair off the hind :grin2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page