5Likes
  • 2 Post By selzer
  • 2 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Animal Control

You can keep your dogs secured in kennels or in your home, never once having one run "at large" and still be implicated in a dog bite. Just having a dog of the same breed, similar appearance, and living in close proximity is enough to make you the prime suspect.

I understand AC questioning neighbors, especially those with dog(s) fitting the description, but once a person with a finger pointed at them is able to produce verifiable evidence that it was not their dog then why continue as though it is?

I have to keep this vague as it is currently happening to someone we know. watching what they're going through is an eye opener. Though it is unlikely to happen again as it has in this case, it's still a little unnerving to know it's possible.

Property crimes are rarely investigated here so video won't help with that, but if video footage can help verify your dogs whereabouts at a given time it might be worth it. Video can also help identify potential problems with your dogs themselves while you're away. Anyone else using cameras? or can think of any other ways to CYB if need be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Crowned Member

Wow that's scary.

I came out one day to find our dog warden at my house. She had gone around my house (not an easy feat), and counted my dogs. She told me someone said someone in a silver car was trying to dump puppies down at the netcher road covered bridge. I had a silver car, and a sliver SUV at the time. And Netcher Road Bridge is about 3 miles away.

It sucks to be suspected. I asked her how old the puppies were, and she said they were about 8 weeks, she thinks. I had a couple of 14 week old pups and some 4 week old puppies. I told her that they were line bred on a double world sieger and I wasn't dumping them, but she was welcome to come in and see them if she wanted.

She then said she would just fall in love with them and did not. That was maybe 2-3 years ago, so that was the end of that. She checked up, called in to find out how many dogs I had licensed and if I had a kennel license. And she told me I had all the correct licenses. Good to know. Why would I not know that? But whatever.

The idea that someone might think I would dump puppies is terrible though. I can just imagine if someone was accusing your dog of getting loose and biting someone.

Animal Control, or the dog warden has actually a lot of power. Maybe a little too much power in some instances. Without a warrant, they can come into your home to look at dogs if they are looking for a lost or stolen dog, just like the game warden can come into your home to check your freezer to see if you have an poached game in there. Everyone else has to convince a judge that there is reasonable cause to believe that you have stolen property or committed some crime for which evidence can be obtained.

If you get the wrong person in that job, it can be really bad.

Our local shelter is not funded by the government, but the government pays if the dog warden picks up a stray and houses it at the shelter. I was down there a couple of weeks ago dropping off a bag of food and some unused enzymes, and the dog warden was there. There was a notice on the door about high intake and excuse the odor, etc. Look, I am not Ms. Susie home-maker and my house generally needs a good scrubbing. But I walked into that shelter, and walking into a hoarder's home couldn't have been much worse. The stench of urine nearly knocked me down. This wasn't back in the kennels, but up at the front desk. It was terrible. The idea that if the dog warden was going to confiscate dogs, they would go to that place, that is horrific. The dogs living in the out-door kennels over there, definitely have it better.
Nigel and Chip18 like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Elite Member

That sounds like a nightmare to have to deal with. When out walking especially around town, make a point to say hi to a shop owner, ask the time text who and time info to yourself after leaving the store. Bring your dog into town hall when doing necessary quick business if your in a small town. Chit chat about how much training you do and make certain your dog is well behaved while there.

Neighbor references are all good but it will be the casual acquaintances that have a prominent position in the town that will carry some weight with a good word if needed.

I never heard of this happening, but animal control is one dept I wouldn't want to cross paths with.

I also make it a point to stop and say hi if I see a foot patrol officer. Not for the same reasons but just so they at least know of us.
Nigel and car2ner like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
That sounds like a nightmare to have to deal with. When out walking especially around town, make a point to say hi to a shop owner, ask the time text who and time info to yourself after leaving the store. Bring your dog into town hall when doing necessary quick business if your in a small town. Chit chat about how much training you do and make certain your dog is well behaved while there.

Neighbor references are all good but it will be the casual acquaintances that have a prominent position in the town that will carry some weight with a good word if needed.

I never heard of this happening, but animal control is one dept I wouldn't want to cross paths with.

I also make it a point to stop and say hi if I see a foot patrol officer. Not for the same reasons but just so they at least know of us.
That is a good idea if you live in and are active in a small town. In fact that is exactly what my husband and I did. We got known more by our dog than anything else. It's harder in a small city.
Nigel likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page