What do you do when you are REALLY sick ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

What do you do when you are REALLY sick ?

So 3 days ago I got this Super Bad Cold/Flu! I haven't been able to get out of bed and only been taking my 18 week old pup to potty in the backyard. We usually go 1-2 walks a day, sometimes the dog park, beach, and we do short training sessions during the day and all that mental and physical stimulation. But for the last 3 days I can't get out of bed. Been eating and sleeping in bed only. I tried to take him on a walk this morning but I really couldn't move as my fever has taken over me. You can tell he is frustrated and just wants to go out for a walk or somethin. We did a couple in-house training sessions but I couldn't last more than 5 minutes before getting dizzy and chilly. What do you do with your GSD when you are really sick?
georgy girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston12 View Post
So 3 days ago I got this Super Bad Cold/Flu! I haven't been able to get out of bed and only been taking my 18 week old pup to potty in the backyard. We usually go 1-2 walks a day, sometimes the dog park, beach, and we do short training sessions during the day and all that mental and physical stimulation. But for the last 3 days I can't get out of bed. Been eating and sleeping in bed only. I tried to take him on a walk this morning but I really couldn't move as my fever has taken over me. You can tell he is frustrated and just wants to go out for a walk or somethin. We did a couple in-house training sessions but I couldn't last more than 5 minutes before getting dizzy and chilly. What do you do with your GSD when you are really sick?

I get up and do it anyway.
karladupler likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Banned

LOL ... and I say sometimes ... life just sucks! But ... a possibly useful suggestion and like many things I stumbled unto it by accident. If you happen to have a tug toy ... and if you have the strength you could play tug with him from the bed.

I did that with my friends typically, hyper constantly, moving full grown Boxer! I did not want to get him in trouble by having the owners tell him ... "NO, NO, NO! So I grabbed a tug toy and just held pressure ... I did nothing save for offer resistance ... after about 15 to 20 minutes of substance resistance ... the dog wore himself out??? I was stunned ... just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

Most important to get your rest and get better. Lots of chew toys will keep your pup busy. Hide some toys or treats around the house if you are up for it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Master Member

Mostly cry and whine.
LeoRose and Chip18 like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

I have 7 dogs and I can honestly say they have proven over and over (when I'm sick, a family emergency, etc) that they are completely awesome about it. They expect nothing and are on their best behavior. When my dad passed away a couple months ago I was there for 12 hours everyday for the first week. No accidents, no fights, just complete acceptance of the situation. It was almost like they knew something was wrong. If I cried they would come make sure I was ok and then just lay by me. When I'm sick I'm more likely to drag myself out of bed because I feel bad, but it's not required. Just great dogs.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

About 1 month after I got my recent puppy I got the flu. I could NOT move. I could not be more than 10 feet from the bathroom. I used the crate. A lot. I felt bad, but I was sick as heck, I could not handle a puppy. It was better to NOT handle the puppy with the way I felt, than to try.

Get better, in the end run its a short period of time. Your pup will survive not getting all the walks.
Cassidy's Mom and LeoRose like this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 PM

In response to the title:
I do what every gown @$$ man does when immobilized by illness...I call my mommy and ask her how do I stop dying. lmao

For your pup, try calling a friend or family member to give him so play time & a walk, if you live near enough to anyone. I imagine most would be excited to. On good terms with your neighbors? Do they have a young teen that would play with your dog in your yard, while you just sit down & watch/supervise? Or post on the dreaded Craigslist and see if you can find a local college student who would do the supervised in your yard thing. "Entertain my pup for 40 minutes for $20."

Try looking up a local dog walker? Not sure how I would feel about that, though.
sebrench, ausdland and Erica0629 like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Master Member

Think of it this way, the more you push yourself the longer your sickness will last! Get rest and get well as fast as you can so you can get back on your feet! Calling someone is a good idea, but I personally don't trust most people with my dogs.
LeoRose likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Knighted Member

I agree that my dog has seemed on his best behavior during an illness or after the death of someone close to me. But here are a few simple things. Maybe a Kong stuffed with treats he could play with or just scattering a hand full of kibble around the room and telling him "Go Find." A personal favorite of mine is to hide his ball in my bed and ask him "Where's Ball?" Newlie has great fun trying to flip me over if I hide it underneath me.
HolyFriedFish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page