Made some people mad on a FB group with this post - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Made some people mad on a FB group with this post

So there is this German Shepherd Owners group on Facebook and I made a post that didn't go well with some people. Yeah yeah what a surprise water is wet ice is slippery, but I feel like this might get a better reception here.

Am I the only one who cringes when they read something like "ISO black and tan 100 pound Long Coat Male German Shepherd"? Unless you're rescuing, temperament, health, history and bloodline should be your priority when searching for a dog. Not color, coat style, size or anything relating to appearance.
EDIT: There is nothing wrong with preferring a certain look. However, say you want a Black GSD but don't know about show and working lines so you get a black GSD who is from a working line and you are then overwhelmed by how much energy it has. Or you get an Oversized 120 pound German Shepherd and it turns out to be littered with health issues and vet bills. That's what I'm getting at.

So I always saw these posts about people posting how they're in search for a GSD and always mention coat color first, no mention of bloodline or anything like that, and it makes me mad because this is why so many dogs wind up in shelters! "Oh my god this dog looks awesome, I want it!" Then later on "TOO MUCH ENERGY, WAY TOO BIG, VERY STUBBORN, TOO MUCH SHEDDING, BARKS TOO LOUD! I'm just gonna leave it on the side of the road."

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Knighted Member

Maybe, but I choose dogs based on preferences. I would however wait for the right temperament, etc... that matches the coat, sex, color. The average pet buyer is gonna buy from a BYB and doesn't know 2 licks about pedigrees, health, etc... And most don't care. They want a pet and nothing more. same reason they are so quick to breed their dog. All they know is that a dog has papers and that makes the dog top notch.
car2ner likes this.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Banned

People can and do make mistakes with dogs all the time ... nothing new there. But to actually tell others, that one is willing to abandon a dog, that one can't deal with on the side of the road ... that's a new low??? I don't do facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
People can and do make mistakes with dogs all the time ... nothing new there. But to actually tell others, that one is willing to abandon a dog, that one can't deal with on the side of the road ... that's a new low??? I don't do facebook.
That's just a generalization I made about people who abandon dogs. Never posted that part on Facebook, but it is known that a dog becoming larger than expected or having too much energy is a popular reason dogs end up in shelters. I don't know what goes on in the heads of people who abandon dogs.
Julian G likes this.

Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)

Last edited by LoboFloppyEars; 04-01-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 PM

Before Tilden, I was specifically in search of a black and (dark) red long haired male and at the time was not open to anything else. Everything else lined up after I found him, or I wouldn't have taken him. The initial criteria had to be there first tho.

Not sure why the Facebookers were upset, but in all seriousness, not knowing the rest of the story, both on the front and back end - what good is cringing? The situations that your referring to disappoint me too, but on paper, had I posted an "ISO ad", I could appear to some not be so different.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 04-01-2017 at 10:30 PM.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboFloppyEars View Post
That's just a generalization I made about people who abandon dogs. Never posted that part on Facebook, but it is known that a dog becoming larger than expected or having too much energy is a popular reason dogs end up in shelters. I don't know what goes on in the heads of people who abandon dogs.
Oh correcting the record is fair. But ... people do that sadly enough. Wrong dog, wrong owner, wrong reasons, and wrong training and the dog gets dumped.

Happens all the time and by and large FaceBook tends to be a "PO" crowd. Not a crowd that's to big on "Keeping it Real" as it were.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Master Member

I know this Facebook group. Most of the posts and comments I see in there make me cringe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Wow this thread got out of hand quickly, 3rd user I've seen get banned recently. Gonna tone down my posts now as these admins are not here to play.

Anyways Fodder said "Not sure why the Facebookers were upset..." It more or less had to do with the fact that the EDIT portion of the post was added after people were getting angry. People were like "IT'S A PROBLEM THAT I WANT MY DOG TO LOOK A CERTAIN WAY??? YOU PROBABLY PUT PINEAPPLE ON YOUR PIZZA!" and yeah insults were hurled my way. People sometimes get triggered easily when an opinion that differs from them gets thrown their way.

I said there's a difference between having preferences and just focusing on one apprarance only. For example, my favorite coat colors are Dark Sable, Solid Black and Bicolor, not overly fond of black and tan/red as they are too common. However I am not gonna go running to the first dark sable I find and ignore the rest and I might go for a black and tan if I fall in love with it.

Then there's the people who get a dog solely on looks. So many dogs get abandoned and wind up in shelters because people only look at appearances and not other traits the dog might have.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 AM

The only reason your post was received poorly was because it was written with palpable condescension. It happens with any hobby, dogs are no different, some people honestly don't care about showing a shepherd or working it or training for competitions, some people just want a pet. You're definitely not wrong, history and temperament and lineage and all that are important, but so are looks. Call me shallow, but if I'm in the market for a pet, I'd take a really striking byb dog over a dog with 7 generations of quality breeding who's just plain ugly. Like any hobby, what you're looking for is going to be different based on what you're looking to get out of it, and acting like your way is the only right way is a quick way to make people think you're a jerk.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you could present your angle in a less arrogant way and it'd be received a lot more positively.
Chip18 and Sev Arjy like this.

"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" -Voltaire
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 AM

I joined and left that group awhile ago fast! LOL

Regarding the "ISO *insert appearance here*" thing, I think the majority of that is a lack of knowledge about how important temperament and genetics is, not even necessarily that the person looking wouldn't care about temperament if they were knowledgeable. They want a dog, dream about the appearance they want, and that's all they know about it. Even explaining genetic temperament (or just basic GSD temperament) to them may not make a difference, because it often takes a poor personal experience to learn.
Chip18 likes this.

Last edited by LancerandRara; 04-02-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in