I made a mistake - how to fix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By squerly
  • 2 Post By Raisedbyshepherds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I made a mistake - how to fix?

Hello All! When our shepherd girl arrived, I decided not to be so anal, and allow her on the couch. She is 60 plus pounds of rambunctious adolescent shepherd, and the new couch is taking a beating. Plus, if she tracks poop in that we didn't scoop yet, well...you can imagine! She is not allowed up on my recliner, and she is good with that. She sleeps with me if I take a nap on my bed. How can I now teach her to stay off the couch? Clicker and treat when she gets off. OFF is the command I use when I want her to get off the bed or whatever. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Well, it's really simple. When she jumps up on the couch immediately tell her "NO", take her by the collar and mover her back to the floor. It won't take long for her to catch on.
maxtmill likes this.

Jim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:11 PM

I have used one of those plastic runners for carpet, the kind with the little pointy knobs on the bottom to hold it in place on the carpet. Turn pointy side up and leave on couch if you need to. Doesnt feel good if they try to step or lay on it. May help may not. Stopped our lab from sneaking on the couch when we werent home. Was able to quit using it after awhile. Or your dog could be like our old bullmastiff and just use it as a backscratch!
maxtmill and Chip18 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks everyone! I have coolaroo beds for each dog, and have some nice thick quilts from the thrift store I will put on hers! The problem will be , and always has been, getting my husband to be CONSISTENT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page