ASL vs WGSL - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

ASL vs WGSL

Not trying to start anything I'm honestly not 100% sure if I have this straight. I know each breed has there own strengths and each person has their own preference BUT...... Can someone explain the difference in appearance, temperament, value $$, intelligence (biddable) , suitability for pets, between the 2. Is one easier to train, better at obedience, longer, shorter, fluffier. , different snouts, calmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

There is no black and white answer. Different lines of both are just that, different. You have to look at each individual dog and see what that ONE in particular brings to the table.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomlittlehaus View Post
There is no black and white answer. Different lines of both are just that, different. You have to look at each individual dog and see what that ONE in particular brings to the table.
Seriously LOL. You're answer is.... "there is not answer". I'm sure there are differences that ARE black and white or should I say black and tan or black and red.
Chip18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Elite Member

It is going to vary wildly from breeder to breeder in regards to temperament, biddability, suitability as pets, obedience, etc. There are awesome breeders of each line, and sucky breeders of each line.

American dogs tend to be lighter in bone, more elegant and refined looking. You'll also see a wide variety of colors in ASLs sables, blacks, black and tans, by colors etc. WGSL dogs tend to be a bit heavier, more bear-ish, and tend to come in the saddle back black and red variety.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomlittlehaus View Post

I just found this.... I'm sure this will answer my questions
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...confusion.html
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

What is probably going to answer your question is going out and meeting the dogs...people who are writing the articles are going to have their own opinions and biases...I have owned a show line and probably an American line....but I don't think its black and white. I also don't have much knowledge of either of those lines
sit,stay likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

I have had both, but one was female and the other male, and currently only 5 months old. The german was dog reactive while on a leash. Also, skinnier as a puppy but likely larger as an adult. INCREDIBLE with our kids. She was literally my babysitter while i showered in the morning. Samson, our puppy, is ASL and non reactive on the leash. Also very good with ALL kids (but he's growing up with 2 and a backyard full on weekends). I would say they are equal in intelligence with Samson being a little less driven, and more laid back (not lazy). That's also a trait we asked for, and we were matched accordingly.

I will say that Samson came from a very good breeder that really did her homework to find the perfect stud. She still keeps in touch even though we picked him up on 12/3. Her puppies that stayed local even get together from time to time, but we are 3 hours away.

Bottom line, a good dog is a good dog, and you're most likely to get a good dog from a good breeder.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy girl View Post
Not trying to start anything I'm honestly not 100% sure if I have this straight. I know each breed has there own strengths and each person has their own preference BUT...... Can someone explain the difference in appearance, temperament, value $$, intelligence (biddable) , suitability for pets, between the 2. Is one easier to train, better at obedience, longer, shorter, fluffier. , different snouts, calmer.
I *think* WGSL are going to be generally more expensive for a puppy. I believe they often go for 2500-3000 per puppy. I don't know what ASLs go for.

When you say "better at obedience", I don't know if you mean competition obedience, like AKC obedience? If you do, and that is a goal, then buy a dog from a breeder who is titling parents in that venue. I have a dog whose sire competed and did extremely well in AKC OB, and my dog, I swear...it's like he was made for it.

If I were going to buy a showline dog I'd want to see titles or progeny doing something other than conformation. Because I don't get the sense that conformation tests much if at all for temperament. And temperament is awfully important.

I think most people would agree to try to avoid conformation extremes that occur in showline GSDs, in WGSL you'll see a roached back that looks like an arch with the highest point halfway down the back. ASL you will see excessive angulation where the dog is walking on their hocks. There are breeders of both types who are breeding much more moderate dogs, and if I were shopping, I'd be looking for those moderate dogs.

I have a white GSD who I consider to be equivalent to ASL, in that his breeder does a lot of conformation, most breeding dogs have conformation CHs. She also titles her dogs in lots of other things. He is so biddable it's ridiculous. I am having a blast with him, just enjoy him so much. I think whites are cool because they don't seem to suffer from either of the conformation extremes, although I am starting to see the more dramatic rear leg angulation like the color ASLs but on the whole they seem much more moderate to me which is what caught my interest in the first place, since I did not want a working line this time.

@Jenny720 on here has an ASL she is happy with, I think. And there have been many threads on recommending WGSL breeders if you search. They look pretty different once you know what you are looking at, and you will probably prefer one to the other.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Master Member

American lines of any type have bad reputations, but if you look pass that at the screening that should be done with any German Shepherd in order to be qualified to breed, it's pretty simple. The basics to me are health screening (OFA/PennHIP), registration and appealing pedigrees. Titles in a sport or show they compete in is ideal. Many people are looking solely for a pet, in which case a CGC and/or TTS is important as well.

Comparing two breeders, one ASL and one WGSL, assuming they both have been through all the proper screening and have all the right paperwork, the difference is origin and appearance, they look pretty different. It's just about personal preference. Temperament varies between every dog, and for drive it depends on the lineage, some SL dogs will be higher drive because of their lineage, others will be low drive.

Not all breeders of similar lines will have alike dogs, keep that in mind.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsontheGSD View Post
I have had both, but one was female and the other male, and currently only 5 months old. The german was dog reactive while on a leash. Also, skinnier as a puppy but likely larger as an adult. INCREDIBLE with our kids. She was literally my babysitter while i showered in the morning. Samson, our puppy, is ASL and non reactive on the leash. Also very good with ALL kids (but he's growing up with 2 and a backyard full on weekends). I would say they are equal in intelligence with Samson being a little less driven, and more laid back (not lazy). That's also a trait we asked for, and we were matched accordingly.

I will say that Samson came from a very good breeder that really did her homework to find the perfect stud. She still keeps in touch even though we picked him up on 12/3. Her puppies that stayed local even get together from time to time, but we are 3 hours away.

Bottom line, a good dog is a good dog, and you're most likely to get a good dog from a good breeder.
I used to work at a horse farm where there was a wgsl bitch who lived as a barn dog. She would attach herself to whoever was in charge that day and "help". I was the weekend manager. I had told a working student girl to move a horse from point a to point b. Horse was usually easy to handle, so I went into the back barn (50 stall facility). This dog came peeling after me a few minutes later acting like Lassie, trying to get me to follow her. So I did. And I came around the corner just in time to see this horse just walking all over this poor kid, about to either hurt her or get loose or both. I was able to intervene and get the horse under control. Never would have known is was happening if not for my "Helper" who knew that I was the person to tell, and that someone needed to be told. Incredible.
selzer and Daisy&Lucky's Mom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page