Modern Tips & Tricks - Saving Money & Raising Great Dogs - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Costco has $20 beds, with covers that be taken off and washed in washing machine, they are big beds too,super comfy and they look nice. they also have toys that common bulk if you don't want to offline.
This thread is awesome, love all the ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:13 AM
Elite Member

I bought a used airline crate and saved $350. Magic erasers with methylated spirits removed ALL the permanent marker writing and sticky label residue, with no damage to the crate.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

Re vet costs:

Develop a relationship with a great vet who offers good value (i.e., reasonable prices on diagnostics, not pressuring staff to "up-sell" elective services, getting good outcomes with lowest-cost interventions instead of always recommending highest-cost interventions, etc.). By develop a relationship, I mean this: don't "vet hop" constantly, or chase coupon deals on annual exams, or only show up when your dog is very sick, etc. Don't berate the staff over the cost of the bill. Don't let your dog try to bite them. Become a client they all know and like. Take your dog there frequently just to say hi to the reception staff and get a dog-treat from them (and sometimes take a plate of people cookies for the staff, just to thank them for putting up with your frequent visits).

Some vets have "good client" discounts (mine gives 10%), for people who've got multiple dogs, and are "regulars" who've been with them for years. They sometimes also do valuable "extras" for such clients, like stay past closing time on a Friday night, so that you don't have to take a sick dog to the emergency vet that costs twice as much, or even giving you their personal email or cell phone number so that you can call them over the weekend when you've got a sick dog--things you have absolutely no right to expect or even ask for, but that save you a lot of money and stress. Mine even did a house call for me at the end of my senior dog's life, and sent his vet tech to my house to help me (I live close), and he didn't charge anything extra for that level of service, even though they don't normally do house calls at all.

How do you find those kind of wonderful vets? Ask the staff at your city shelter or better yet, ask your local breed rescue. Chances are they know which vets they wouldn't send any animal to even for free (due to a history of incompetence, missed diagnoses, botched surgeries, or harsh handling), which vets are "best of the best" for hard-to-treat cases (high cost, but worth paying extra for when a life is on the line or no one else can figure out what's wrong with the dog), and which vets are trustworthy low cost/high value leaders (and worth having a long-term relationship with for general-practice vetting). If you find out which vets they use for their personal dogs, you'll probably uncover some hidden gems in your community who don't advertise much but are much beloved by clients because of reasonable prices, wonderful staff, and really great care.
ugavet2012, car2ner and sebrench like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 04-29-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
My dog beds are thrift store and Garage Sale blankets, folded and piled up. Bonus is that they are completely washable.
We started out using old towels; rather than donating them as planned, we repurposed them for dog bedding. I'd pad her crate with four or five of them (they were still thick and fluffy). Later we did buy her an orthopedic crate pad, but the towels were already owned, not in use for humans, and were a good starting point. I'd use them again when traveling without thinking twice.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

If you combine some of these ideas, you can really start to compound your savings....

- Use a promo code and/or discounted Auto-Ship option, AND -
- Do this during a month when your credit card's cashback category includes online purchases (Discover will be 5% cash back on Amazon purchases from October - December 2016, which I'm planning to use to my advantage). Of course, you must pay it off monthly to stay ahead, but I'll happily take another 5% "discount" on top of other potential savings.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Whoops, too late to edit, but -

I'd second the recommendation to form a relationship with a vet. I have two vets, one for dogs and cats, and a separate large animal vet. I've been very honest with both. They're willing to discuss importance, priorities, options. My large animal vet taught me how to do a number of things for myself (knowing full well that I would no longer need to pay him for these services). He has made honest recommendations for what I should pay him to do, and what I can buy at Tractor Supply and save a few bucks.

It took a few hits & misses to find the right doctors, but I value them very much. I also pay my bills immediately and thank them for their time, every time.
Dunkirk likes this.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

Another tip about vets: if you live in the city, consider driving an hour or two out towards the boonies. Often time the prices of rural vets are half of their city counter parts.

Good for multi dog homes especially if you have everyone on the same schedule for check ups and vaccines.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

As for training, after I took a few classes at our training facility ($110 per class), they put us on their friends and family plan. Now we pay $60 for six weeks of group-classes, one class per week. We don't go out to movies or go to expensive restaurants so I think it's fairly affordable. Maybe other trainers offer similar incentives, or even payment plans...

Last edited by sebrench; 04-29-2016 at 02:02 PM.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:36 PM

When I change the pillows on my bed, which is only when they become hopelessly flat, they go to the dog's crate. They are small enough that our dogs move them around depending on if they want to lay on them or not. And of course, pillow cases can be inexpensive and easy to wash.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Grooming & bathing a dog yourself is a huge money saver. Clean the ears, keep 'em brushed, the occasional bath, clip their nails, and all that good stuff.

Unless your dog is going into show soon, just do it yourself. If the dog is simply a pet, no excuses to not do this stuff yourself. When I'm at dog parks I'm flabbergasted at how much I hear people end up paying. If your dog isn't fond of the bath tub, there is another option (though not free like your own bath tub). At least where I am, it is becoming more and more common to see car wash places having a separate doggy station that you can wash your dog yourself. I've heard some pretty much have a full blown set up similar to that the dog grooming places have. Most run about $5-10 per dog. Which is still waaaayyy cheaper than what a dog groomer costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page