Modern Tips & Tricks - Saving Money & Raising Great Dogs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

Some trainers let you pay per class so you don't feel it all at once.
Tj max,home goods,marshals all have great deals on pet supplies- leashes,collars,beds,bowls, shampoo etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM

when your pup is teething, rinsed juice bottles (Simply orange is best) are good for a day of crunching...and if you put kibble or treats in it first, even better.
Cardboard boxes, like the ones from Chewy's, are good for a day or two of teething. remove tape and always check for staples if you use larger shipping boxes.
Pinecones are great fun and pretty easy to sweep up once they are in little pieces all over the floor.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Knighted Member

On the socialization end: Strip malls are a phenomenal place to meet a variety of people. You can walk your puppy up and down the sidewalk in front when they've had enough shots but are at that age when they're still cute and fuzzy enough that everybody wants to meet the cute puppy. Kids, people from different backgrounds, likely people with disabilities (I call that out because someone recently commented how they appreciated that my girl doesn't fear a cane), older people.

And it's free exposure plus for a very young pup there's their walk.
dogma13 and Themusicmanswife like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Invest in a good quality leather collar and leather leash - not the ones you get at pet stores, but the ones available from internet sites that sell equipment for bite-sport training and police dogs - it will last you a lifetime!
I agree but if you do want something a little snazzier. LupinePet.com has a nice selection for a fair price and a guarantee that you can't beat. They will replace a leash or collar even if your dogs chews it to bits.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niexist View Post
Set up autoship through chewy.com, or petflow.com for 20-25% off first order. You can always cancel autoship after you get your order, but getting premium food 25% off is a big discount.
does the %25 apply to each order or just the first?
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
does the %25 apply to each order or just the first?
Just the first, but it is a big help, plus free shipping over 50 bucks on those sites.
girardid likes this.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Elite Member

Here are my tips:

1) buying non perishable items in bulk. My vet sells chlorhexidine shampoo in 8 oz bottles for $12. I can bet an entire gallon online for around $25 after shipping.

2) Don't be afraid of carbs in your dog food. Unless your dog has a health issue like allergies or chronic yeast. Most dogs do well with them. 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potatos is cheap and healthy and can stretch more expensive food stuffs out.

3.) DIY what you can. An old t shirt cut into strips and braided makes a good tug or lure for a flirt pole. A empty peanut butter jar with holes punched and treats popped inside is a free puzzle toy.

4.) An extension of number 3 - homemade treats are my BIGGEST money saver. I invested in a dehydrator and save so much money. I dehydrate chicken breast, beef tendons, chicken feet, pig ears, liver, sardines, sweet potatos and a bunch of other stuff. All of this is spendy in pet stores. Those dried tendon chews are over 2 bucks a piece. I get tendons at my grocery store and dehydrate myself. I worked it out and I ended up paying 0.68 per "large sized" tendon chew.
Opsoclonus likes this.

Last edited by voodoolamb; 04-27-2016 at 01:00 PM.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
4.) An extension of number 3 - homemade treats are my BIGGEST money saver. I invested in a dehydrator and save so much money. I dehydrate chicken breast, beef tendons, chicken feet, pig ears, liver, sardines, and a bunch of other stuff. All of this is spendy in pet stores. Those dried tendon chews are over 2 bucks a piece. I get tendons at my grocery store and dehydrate myself. I worked it out and I ended up paying 0.68 per "large sized" tendon chew.
I want to get one of these! I've heard it can save you a ton of money (plus I'm a nerd and sort of intrigued). I've heard that you can buy organs (like chicken hearts) in bulk and make your own training treats.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Here are my tips:

4.) An extension of number 3 - homemade treats are my BIGGEST money saver. I invested in a dehydrator and save so much money. I dehydrate chicken breast, beef tendons, chicken feet, pig ears, liver, sardines, and a bunch of other stuff. All of this is spendy in pet stores. Those dried tendon chews are over 2 bucks a piece. I get tendons at my grocery store and dehydrate myself. I worked it out and I ended up paying 0.68 per "large sized" tendon chew.
I have a dehydrator that i use to make jerky but have been meaning to find some good use for it for my dog. Any good sites or recipes to use?
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Heartworm meds- you can save thousands (if you have multiple dogs like me) ordering sheep drench/ivermectin directly on line and dosing appropriately. Do your research, it's easy if you passed high school chemistry or even if you didn't.

I'm spending the summer in a heartworm area, and my vet would have charged about $50 a dog for heartworm testing (unnecessary since AK does not have heartworm, but protocol) plus I'd be spending roughly $40 a month on prescription pills ordered online, which adds up fast. This is a huge cost savings.

Now to find something similar for ticks and fleas...

Read up on heartworm a bit more here: Terrierman's Daily Dose: The Billion Dollar Heartworm Scam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page