Gsd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Gsd?

We've had Duke for 3 years. We've always referred to him as a GSD but he's always been small. He's around 40lbs sometimes a little above or below but always around that. I've always thought that it was because whoever had him for the first year of his life didn't take care of him. When we found him he was 32lbs and very skittish. Anyway, lately I've been wondering if he's a GSD at all. What's your opinion?

Two of those pictures are after he was splashing around in puddles in the backyard!!

Michelle

Last edited by Michelle F; 12-01-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

In the first picture, he looks like an American line. In the others, based on the shape of his head and his size, he might have something else mixed in like Samoyed. He's still a GSD. I have one on the small side that we rescued and when we are out, people are always arguing over whether she is a purebred or not. She looks like one but she's smaller than average.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

Small? how tall? How much does he weigh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Knighted Member

He looks pure gsd in the first 3 pics. The other two looks like the shape of his head is off - but it may be because of his wet fur pushed up?? How much does he weigh?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

At his weight maybe he is a kelpie mix. We have a dog on our team that is similar but of uncertain origin..similar tan throat mix. Maybe some other kelpie or kelpie mix

The two breeds share a lot of similarities though kelpies tend to be a bit more independent and headstrong.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:30 PM

I second kelpie for sure! stature and markings!

Samoyed?? they're huge and white and heavily coated.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies! I was looking into kelpie as an option. I think the ones at the bottom of my initial post are from a weird angle since I'm standing over him. Here a few more:

He's 40lbs. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to measure him but hes about 21" from the floor to his shoulder blade when he's standing.... He has a medium length coat and his tail is dense and thick.

Michelle

Last edited by Michelle F; 12-01-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 PM

I've known some older lines of Heelers (Australian Cattle Dogs) that are black and tan. He reminds me of them, and they are significantly more common than Kelpies (at least in my area, maybe Kelpies are more common elsewhere?). In fact, he looks almost exactly like a black and tan version of our Heeler from the side. I do think he might have GSD in him though, because he looks more like that from the front.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 10:55 PM

Looks like a GSD to me (and when cleaned up he looks real nice), colors very close to my girl Kyra (blanket back, black and tan).

She was 73 pounds last time she was weighed, looked lean but solid - maybe smallish for a shepherd but big head like yours (or is that from the camera position?). Maybe some working line blood? Can you up the food and exercise, or do you / your-vet think he's in a good weight range?

In any case, he's lucky you've got him now.

Last edited by brucebourdon; 12-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

His weight always worries me. We feed him more than our other dogs and we give him "treats" like chicken and veggies more than the other dogs but he still doesn't really gain any weight. I guess this is his natural weight. He's pretty active and doesn't seem weak so I'm sure that he's ok. The vet never seems worried. I still wish he would gain a little more weight though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page