Has Anyone Ever Called the Police On Your GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Has Anyone Ever Called the Police On Your GSD?

Just got off the phone with the police dept. Freaked me out. They said they had a 911 call and asked in an officer had been to my house yet. I said no, what's going on?

They got a call that someone heard a dog in distress. Sounded hurt. I said how long ago? - about an hour.....

It was Summer - she was upset that I was outside in the shop and she had to stay in the house. She's a big vocal pup. Though, I was 20 feet away and didn't hear anything but her one or two normal cries of anguish because she couldn't come out with me.

Anyway, my last GSD was very skinny but very healthy (lived to 14.5). He had the cops called on us 5 separate times because passers by thought I was starving him. I got to meet about every police office on the force with him - until they knew about his condition.

Has anyone else had the cops called on them before because of their dog? I know I can't be the only lucky one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Knighted Member

I have not, although I did have several letters from AC until I finally figured out what the barking complaint was about and one visit from them after Newlie got into an altercation with the dog next door. This was all a year and a half to two years ago, nothing recently.

I do have kind of a funny story about my neighbor. Four or five years ago, there had been several break-ins in the surrounding area. One night, my neighbor's dog started barking as well as several other dogs in the neighborhood, so my neighbor got up and walked outside. He could not see anything, but went on and called the police and asked them to do a drive-by.

So a few minutes later, a police car pulls in his driveway. The message had evidently been garbled because the cop got out and said "We have a report of your dog barking." My neighbor said "I know, I'm am the one that called." The cop got this real disgusted look on his face and said "You call and reported your own dog?"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 PM

When my Dobe, Tess, was about 12-14 weeks old, we had her out in the front yard playing with her. At this age, Tessa looked like a little tiny fawn, LOL. A police car pulls up, and this woman officer gets out and starts laughing. Apparently my neighbor called the police and said a Doberman was loose in the neighborhood and dangerous. Apparently the crazy neighbor that called it in is known for being nuts, and this sort of complaint was par for the course.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

LOL! Both great stories. I can't imaging what the cops go thru. The officer on the phone was really nice. Of course - he has a GSD too! He's in the "wouldn't have any other breed" group too.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:55 PM

My very first dog was a GS/elk hound cross, looked like a short GS. Anyway the very day I moved to a new town my dog got out of a 6 foot privacy fence. I was frantic when I got home
because he could be a jerk and bite when he felt threatened. My neighbor across the street heard me calling for him and came out to tell me that he saw him running and coaxed him to his back yard and called animal control. I asked if he had growled or anything and he said no, he just had never seen him before and didn't want him loose. So I called the local animal control and they said they were busy so a police officer had picked him up, so I called the police station and they put me on hold. A few minutes later the dispatch asked if it would be ok if they dropped him off a little after 5, confused I said sure. A little after 5, about 2 hours later, the officer that picked him up brought him back and told me he was so impressed with him he wanted him to go with him for the rest of his shift. He said when he picked him up he was super excited to go 'for a ride' and started jumping on the car so the officer told him to sit and wait a minute, which he did. On his way to the pound he got a call so he took the dog with him, there was a domestic dispute, lots of yelling etc and the cop had to man handle the guy and when the guy hit the car my dog went ape **** and scared the guy into submission. When the cop told him to quiet down again he listened to him, so he decided he was going to play K9 officer the rest of his shift. I was shocked he behaved so well lol, and I didn't even get a dog at large ticket!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:40 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangele View Post
My very first dog was a GS/elk hound cross, looked like a short GS. Anyway the very day I moved to a new town my dog got out of a 6 foot privacy fence. I was frantic when I got home
because he could be a jerk and bite when he felt threatened. My neighbor across the street heard me calling for him and came out to tell me that he saw him running and coaxed him to his back yard and called animal control. I asked if he had growled or anything and he said no, he just had never seen him before and didn't want him loose. So I called the local animal control and they said they were busy so a police officer had picked him up, so I called the police station and they put me on hold. A few minutes later the dispatch asked if it would be ok if they dropped him off a little after 5, confused I said sure. A little after 5, about 2 hours later, the officer that picked him up brought him back and told me he was so impressed with him he wanted him to go with him for the rest of his shift. He said when he picked him up he was super excited to go 'for a ride' and started jumping on the car so the officer told him to sit and wait a minute, which he did. On his way to the pound he got a call so he took the dog with him, there was a domestic dispute, lots of yelling etc and the cop had to man handle the guy and when the guy hit the car my dog went ape **** and scared the guy into submission. When the cop told him to quiet down again he listened to him, so he decided he was going to play K9 officer the rest of his shift. I was shocked he behaved so well lol, and I didn't even get a dog at large ticket!
Great story!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 AM

I've never had the police called about any of my animals, though I did warn our closest neighbor about our peafowl before breeding season. (Their call sounds eerily similar to a woman screaming "help"!) However, when I was younger my parents had the police called on our first horse a couple of times. As he aged he lost weight (he lived to 28, I believe, and hadn't been in the best health since we bought him at 16), he had been checked out by the vet many times, and the vet felt that he was actually in very good health for his age. They also had the police called once because someone, on the road, couldn't actually see hay and water for the horses within the pasture. My parents have 32 acres, and typically feed and water in the barn which is set back from the road several hundred feet. Also, the horses (miniatures) were as fat as ticks.

My vet told me a story once about his son who lives in the mountains in Colorado. They have a horse out there. Someone once called the police because their horse wasn't wearing a blanket in the winter.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had animal control called once by a neighbor who, instead of talking to ME, called them because my dog was barking occasionally in the middle of the day. Person worked third shift and I may some adjustments to how I managed my dog during her sleep hours.

Knocking on my door would have been so much easier but it was no big deal.

I did call once on a dog when I used to deliver newspapers. The person getting the delivery wanted it in a tube but they were next to someone with a really nasty dog who would charge my car and try to climb in the window. I called animal control, the police, told the newspaper(my boss), wrote a letter to the homeowner.........all to no avail. I am ashamed to say one day I veered a little to clip the dog. He had a limp after that, still tried to chase me but was slow enough I could get done before he got to the tube. In retrospect, had I known of more tools (no stun guns back then but I think (early 80s) there were sprays even though nobody had them...or even a big stick.......But in any regard, basically UNTIL I got bit nobody was willing to help me. I did not want to get bit in order to get justice.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majolica View Post
I've never had the police called about any of my animals, though I did warn our closest neighbor about our peafowl before breeding season. (Their call sounds eerily similar to a woman screaming "help"!)
Same here. Our neighbors have learned that the spring breeding screams of our peacocks are not a woman crying for help, a child drowning in our pond, etc.

(Hooray, there's someone else on this board that has peafowl! )

Last summer I got a call from either the police or Animal Control (can't remember exactly who) claiming that our donkey was spotted in the middle of a highway, about five miles from us. I went into crazy panic mode, ran outside, and.... nope. Our donkey was safely munching hay, gates locked as usual, all was well. I explained that *my* donkey was safe, it must be someone else's. Over the course of the day, we got no less than ten more phone calls (from people who know we have a donkey) about the roaming donkey at large. Eventually they figured out where the donkey belonged, but I was getting pretty fed up with the angry phone calls....
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
I do have kind of a funny story about my neighbor. Four or five years ago, there had been several break-ins in the surrounding area. One night, my neighbor's dog started barking as well as several other dogs in the neighborhood, so my neighbor got up and walked outside. He could not see anything, but went on and called the police and asked them to do a drive-by.

So a few minutes later, a police car pulls in his driveway. The message had evidently been garbled because the cop got out and said "We have a report of your dog barking." My neighbor said "I know, I'm am the one that called." The cop got this real disgusted look on his face and said "You call and reported your own dog?"
That's hilarious!

Nobody has ever called the police regarding my dog. My hope would be they'd come talk to me. They've all known her since she was a tiny pup, though, and they've watched her grow up from a 10 lb fuzzball. I think she has more friends in the neighborhood than we do; they may not remember my name but they remember hers! Hopefully that would mean they would feel they could talk to us if she was doing something disruptive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page