Could anyone recommend a crate to suit my needs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Could anyone recommend a crate to suit my needs?

I am really disappointed in my VariKennel. Pretty much because they are not very variable. I mean, they can have castors. But castors won't work in my vet's parking lot. I need knobbies.

What I want is a large travel crate, Maybe 42" (+6"/-0") long by 28" (+0"/-4") wide. Having the option for castors below would be ok. But an option for knobbies is a must. ( am afraid that knobbie castors would make it too high. Has to be about 30" (+2"/-0") high. I suppose the option could be to install a wagon-like cart so that the knobbie 6-8" wheels will run along side the crate with the front either being a little less wide or farther from the sides, so you can still have the ability to turn the thing. Maybe, you can have 8" knobbies in the back and four inch knobbies in the front with just a slight wheel well to allow clearance.

I want one that has an option where you can install a handle that allows you to push it like a stroller, or install a handle that allows you to pull it like a wagon, or install carting rails so you can hook up a dog and let it do the pulling -- that would be cool, but the wagon -- handle would be the must have.

And it has to both have a door on the front, and be a top loader.

An option for a snap-on storage container (for bowls, food, treats) on the top with cup holders, would be worth a little more. And a clip or two on the side where you can attach your lawn chair would also be a nice touch.

A hitch on the back so you can couple the crates like a train would also be really nice.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 06:30 PM

Is this a crate you keep in the car/truck/suv all the time? Something with wheels that you can move it across a parking lot?

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Is this a crate you keep in the car/truck/suv all the time? Something with wheels that you can move it across a parking lot?
Well, yes, but I'd probably load it in the car with baby puppies and take them to the vet, and then leave it in the car for when I want to take adult dogs to classes or to the show.

I am trying to figure out how to do the walk through at the show this weekend. Usually, I do the walk through and then run out to my car to get my dog. But I am first, all four days. So that means Moof will have to be inside with me.

But I have to work afterwards, and I don't want to drag a whole crate around with me. Which means, I need a colapsable thing that I can put over my shoulder and carry in, while hanging onto the dog and dragging my lawn chair etc. If I had this master variable crate, that can act like a stroller, dog carrier, junk carrier, wagon, puppy transport, and go over pavement or gravel, it would work awesome.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM

Could you make something similar to a mechanic's creeper out of wood,then screwing in brackets to hold the crate,and clips and holders meant for tools to organize the garage?Handle from an old wagon?
Don't know about a hitch.
Edit:Maybe too much to do by this weekend

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

Last edited by dogma13; 11-29-2015 at 07:31 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I can probably put a 42 inch crate in a wagon, I just thing it will be too heavy to easily manage. And, my 42s don't have a top loader. Ah well.

I was hoping someone made something for dog shows.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:43 PM

At the shows, we use a dolly. If I was just needing the one crate, I'd bungee it onto the dolly. Everything else is bungeed on top of the crate, and on the sides too. This is the dolly we use, and it's super easy to maneuver. I've dragged that thing, loaded to the gills, over gravel parking lots, dirt floors, up and over thresholds. You could walk Moofie and drag the dolly if you needed, or put him in the crate and give him a ride.

http://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Homes-for-Pets-45/dp/B0002AT3C4

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks, but I would still need to buy a top loading crate, too. I think I will just get the wagon with the knobbies. Ah well. That thing looks light enough not to add much to your overall load, but it wouldn't go through my vet's parking lot, it is not just gravel, it is more like stone/gravel/mud and ruts. The wagon from TSC has 8 or 10 inch knobby pneumatic wheels.

I'll keep looking.

I heard there are top loading wire crates -- big ones somewhere.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

It won't get done fast enough for this show, but look for metal fabrication places in your area. You can draw up your idea and material type, probably aluminum I'm guessing and they can make it up for you. We do this for custom fit deicing skids using mild steel and it's not too bad price wise. Or you can have them modify something existing like the dolly dogfaeries posted earlier.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have a wagon from TSC with knobby tires and I hate the darned thing. It allows too much travel of the turning wheels and is not particularly stable as a result.

GroundWork Garden Utility Cart, 800 lb. Capacity - For Life Out Here

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I have a wagon from TSC with knobby tires and I hate the darned thing. It allows too much travel of the turning wheels and is not particularly stable as a result.

GroundWork Garden Utility Cart, 800 lb. Capacity - For Life Out Here
Phooey! I have been considering buying this thing for some time now, now I have to look for something else. Thanks for the heads-up!

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page