Reading pedigree help for potential puppy. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Reading pedigree help for potential puppy.

Well ive been looking for breeders around my area. I found one who seems pretty good. She currently has a pup that is exactly what im looking for as far as potential size, color, sex and the right price for me. The sire and dam are said to be from east german lines. So the breeder sent me the pedigree for the parents. If someone can read it and give me thwir opinions, that be great. Thanks

Sire
De Juco Gizmo

Dams sister Bacall Vom Benza Haus

Dam in paper form is the attached picture

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6424.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	332106  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Elite Member

What does the breeder do with her dogs? THe things you listed should be low on the list of things to looks for, honestly. You should be focusing on nerve strength, balanced drives, breeder knowledge (does she work her dogs, what's his/her experience, are they just buying dogs, getting them to two years old and breeding them to make puppies, maybe doing a hip/elbow cert?) what the breeder does with their dogs to prove they are breedable, etc. I just glanced at the first pedigree and it looks like some back yard breeding. There are some good resources on here as to what to look for in an ethical breeder. This is just a glance, and some suggestions. Don't rush into getting a puppy because they are available. Nerve strength (dogs the are fearful) is a real problem in our breed and little attention is paid by a lot of breeders that aren't actually testing it in their breeding stock.

"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

Good DDR breeding with pedigree depth for natural tracking , hunt / search drives.
These are not obscure dogs , or a passel of back yard dogs by any means.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
What does the breeder do with her dogs? THe things you listed should be low on the list of things to looks for, honestly. You should be focusing on nerve strength, balanced drives, breeder knowledge (does she work her dogs, what's his/her experience, are they just buying dogs, getting them to two years old and breeding them to make puppies, maybe doing a hip/elbow cert?) what the breeder does with their dogs to prove they are breedable, etc. I just glanced at the first pedigree and it looks like some back yard breeding. There are some good resources on here as to what to look for in an ethical breeder. This is just a glance, and some suggestions. Don't rush into getting a puppy because they are available. Nerve strength (dogs the are fearful) is a real problem in our breed and little attention is paid by a lot of breeders that aren't actually testing it in their breeding stock.
I didnt go to in depth. As far as breeding, she said shes been breed GSD for 25 years. With this current female i believe she said she was 3 years old and this is her first litter. She said ths female ia more of a couch potato while the male is more active. I didnt ask about activities or showing that shes done with them.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Good DDR breeding with pedigree depth for natural tracking , hunt / search drives.
These are not obscure dogs , or a passel of back yard dogs by any means.
Okay good. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Carm are you saying this based on dogs 3 or 4 generations back, or do you know the dam and sire or grandparenst? Genuinely curious.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

The sire was from a somewhat local breeder who was producing lots of DDR line puppies some years back....just looking for heads size color....lots of stuff locally from this breeder plus 2 others they traded dogs around with.....tons of dogs locally with bad hips, EPI, eplilepsy, OCD - one buyer about 2 miles from me had 5 or 6 dogs from this group....Haus Maul was one of the other kennel names used...they pop up here and there still locally.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
The sire was from a somewhat local breeder who was producing lots of DDR line puppies some years back....just looking for heads size color....lots of stuff locally from this breeder plus 2 others they traded dogs around with.....tons of dogs locally with bad hips, EPI, eplilepsy, OCD - one buyer about 2 miles from me had 5 or 6 dogs from this group....Haus Maul was one of the other kennel names used...they pop up here and there still locally.

Lee
I just noticed youre in PA. This breeder is in stoystown. Im thinking youre talking about the lady that is seling this pup. Should i stay away? And she did mention she traded a couple dogs for the dam lol
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:52 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Is that a normal amount of line breeding for a breeder on the male? I don't breed so wouldn't know whats better or not but this seems more than usual? Not sure I can figure this out ---> http://www.thedogplace.org/GENETICS/...ammill-098.asp

Linebreeding

Linebreeding - 5 generations Inbreeding coefficient
Father - Mother Who Wright's Hardiman's
4 - 4 V Duran vom Weidegang 00.78% 03.32%
↳5 - 5 ↳G Dsheta von den Gnitzer Höhen
4 - 4 SG Filou vom Kaolinsee 00.79% 03.32%
↳5 - 5 ↳V Bessy vom Kaolinsee
5,5 - 5 V Mentor vom Haus Iris 00.20% 02.59%
5 - 5,5 SG Condor von den Tonteichen 00.20% 02.54%

Remember no breeder bashing is allowed on this forum, but you can PM any information that you want to pass on, and good stuff can obviously be on the open part of the forum.

I also live in PA and I know I have to be super careful when looking at breeders to avoid all the puppy millers and Amish puppy mills that we have in the state. So if you are widening your search you need to be very careful to 'vet' the breeder. Make sure you talk to others with past puppies, go to see the home they are born in, see mom dog for sure and sire if he's on site.

REALLY make sure you learn most of the stuff on this link ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ind-puppy.html and https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-bad-one.html . Huge help when winding your way around to start finding the best puppy for the next 12 or so years.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Is that a normal amount of line breeding for a breeder on the male? I don't breed so wouldn't know whats better or not but this seems more than usual? Not sure I can figure this out ---> SUCCESSFUL DOG BREEDING, LINEBREEDING, INBREEDING, OUTCROSSING

Linebreeding

Linebreeding - 5 generations Inbreeding coefficient
Father - Mother Who Wright's Hardiman's
4 - 4 V Duran vom Weidegang 00.78% 03.32%
↳5 - 5 ↳G Dsheta von den Gnitzer Höhen
4 - 4 SG Filou vom Kaolinsee 00.79% 03.32%
↳5 - 5 ↳V Bessy vom Kaolinsee
5,5 - 5 V Mentor vom Haus Iris 00.20% 02.59%
5 - 5,5 SG Condor von den Tonteichen 00.20% 02.54%

Remember no breeder bashing is allowed on this forum, but you can PM any information that you want to pass on, and good stuff can obviously be on the open part of the forum.

I also live in PA and I know I have to be super careful when looking at breeders to avoid all the puppy millers and Amish puppy mills that we have in the state. So if you are widening your search you need to be very careful to 'vet' the breeder. Make sure you talk to others with past puppies, go to see the home they are born in, see mom dog for sure and sire if he's on site.

REALLY make sure you learn most of the stuff on this link ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ind-puppy.html and https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-bad-one.html . Huge help when winding your way around to start finding the best puppy for the next 12 or so years.
What is it to 'vet' a breeder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page