taking a dog to jog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

taking a dog to jog

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a puppy. I want to make sure the dog fit my lifestyle. I love going to the park. Before my last gsd past away, I would always take her to the park to walk or jog with me. However, I had her when she was 3 or 4. I read that it is not recommended for puppies to go on hard surfaces or jogging until they are older? How much older? My house is all tiles. I will be keeping the dog indoor.

I'm also planning to get a working line dog. I read that they are a little more energetic than the showline gsd? My last gsd was a west german showline. She was pretty chill. I read on here that some people end up returning the pup because they couldn't handle the working line shepherds. I have experience with dogs, but on the chihuahuas were the most energetic ones. My uncle did had one but it had a very bad temperament. I want a black or dark sable dog. I know that that color is prominent in ddr or czech dogs. I love that coat color. I saw some videos on youtube of working line shepherds playing frisbee. They look aweosme and extremely smart.

Also can you guys give me advice on whether to get a male or female? I have always had females dog except for one. From my experience the females are more protective or alert. I wanted to buy one now, but figure I wait a while more to do some research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:09 AM

My dog Archer might run anywhere between 6- 16 miles a day, bar Sunday when I insist he takes a day off (which he secretly enjoys). He is WGSL, three and a half, and an intact male. He was fourteen months old before in introduced him to some proper short runs, and I built up the distances slowly with him. He was eighteen- months old when he ran his first 6 mile (10k race) and he's never looked back.
However he was out covering at least 2-5 miles every morning from around 4 months old, but not as a job, but rather with a pack of dogs as a daily morning hike which allowed him to stop and start at his leisure, play, chase, sprint, roll and so on. This would have been on grass mostly. He also swam daily. I think this foundation helped him hugely, physically and mentality.
I have no experiences with WL shepherds, and I imagine the temperaments vary a great deal depending on the line. Archer was a mellow pup and is a pretty mellow dog in general. After our morning run, which is off lead and through a variety of hilly terrains, he's content to snore under my desk for the better part of the afternoon which works for my lifestyle. He is taken out again for about 30-40 minutes in the evening by my husband for an on lead walk around he city. That's all he needs to be chilled in a home - well that and a few games throughout the day. Which is actually a fair amount of work, and he's not working line.
I don't know if females are more protective or not. Most of the female GSDs I know are pretty easy going dogs, affectionate and alert, but then so is Archer, so I don't really see the difference.
Best of luck with your decision, and I hope you post pictures of your new dog when you get him/her.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:35 AM

I've always been told to wait until around 2 years old, with the earliest for some very light jogging (preferably on a soft surface, such as grass), being 1 1/2 years or so.

I myself plan to do the latter soon, because it's a rural area without sidewalks, and easy for me to jog with Butters on the grass. Otherwise, I'd play it safe and wait until the 2-year mark.

To make up for not being able to jog, you can try other activities to make your puppy (literally) run off all that energy. Butters LOVES playing fetch and never tires of it, so I do ~20-minute sessions with her twice a day to help tucker her out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Butters - 10/11/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Knighted Member

what is the theory behind not jogging or running the dog before 18 months. I get the fact of developing bones etc... However, when our 6 month pup old is playing football with our 12 yr old kid he is running, jumping, leaping off the deck. Even when he and I are playing fetch or tug he is leaping and jumping about. This would seem a lot more stress on his body than jogging down the street.
Not arguing with the ideology just trying to understand. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:56 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
....even when he and I are playing fetch or tug he is leaping and jumping about. This would seem a lot more stress on his body than jogging down the street.
The ideology is to avoid 'repetive' exercise and/or on hard surfaces. For young dogs with growth plates still open it may cause issues. Truthfully, with my puppies I try to avoid leaping about and so jumping up for frisbees/bouncing balls I GENERALLY avoid the first year.

Otherwise, pretty much any OFF leash activities my pups choose to do by their own choice is fine. If you have any wooded trails that you could safely have your pup off leash on, that's should be fine because no hard surface and without the leash your pup can constantly adjust their own pace.

This article explains about the growth plates but I think a bit too cautious (last few paragraphs) particularly as the pup gets around 5 m. and older with their 'organized' exercise. My pups always had tons of energy by 4, 5, 6 months and could walk/trot/run for more than 30 min. But NOT cause I was throwing the frisbee for 30 min (I wouldn't do that) but to go for an hour long hike at that age (particularly if it was leashed) it would hardly take the edge off them.

Jogging Can Be Harmful To Puppies - Puppy Leaks

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
what is the theory behind not jogging or running the dog before 18 months. I get the fact of developing bones etc... However, when our 6 month pup old is playing football with our 12 yr old kid he is running, jumping, leaping off the deck. Even when he and I are playing fetch or tug he is leaping and jumping about. This would seem a lot more stress on his body than jogging down the street.
2 reasons behind this logic. One is that when jogging on leash, the dog doesn't get to stop and take short breaks when he feels like it. The second is because jogging is generally done on cement or concrete which is much worse for the joints than playing on grass.

I know for myself, my knees ache after a long run on sidewalks but I never have that problem after a trail run on dirt and grass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page