If only I would have listened.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

If only I would have listened....

I post this as a warning to prospective buyers. Please take heed and don't get a puppy from a back yard breeder. I couldn't justify paying 1500$ for a dog when I could bring one home for 500$. So that's what we did. Now he is a year and a half and has moderate hip dysplaysia. It's so sad watching him bunny hop around the yard. In a couple years we will have to make a decision on what to do. 5000$ for a hip replacement will probably not be an option. I wanted a German shepherd since I was a boy. It has been a dream come true having him. But I will have to put him down when his hips totally give out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The good news is there are lots of things you can do short of surgery to give your dog a long happy life.

Several of us have had dogs with SEVERE HD live long happy lives without surgical intervention. We have a lot of posts on this and can help steer you in the right direction.

It is a good warning, but even a well bred dog can wind up with a severe problem. Good breeding just stacks the deck more in your favor.

Please hang in there. Stay around and don't lose hope.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Master Member

Sorry to hear about your pup. Look into supplements - MSM may be of help; it does wonders for people with similar joint issues, and I've heard of some dogs having huge improvements, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Why not look at a FHO instead of a THR? That should be well within your range. Start saving now. Or talk to a rescue.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

Have you talked to the vet about Adequan? The sooner it's started the better to keep the joint lubricated and preserve the cartilage.

Agree that HD isn't a death sentence -- even severe HD. I know lots and lots of dogs who were diagnosed young with moderate or even severe HD who have led full, active lives, without surgery. One of them is now 7 and still going strong on hips that her vet said were the worst he'd seen. She's been on Adequan since she was adopted at 3.

Also, don't assume a pup bunny hopping is necessarily due to HD. Some young dogs just do this behavior for no particular reason when they're young. Have you had an appointment with a good ortho vet yet to assess range of motion, management, and possible physical therapy while the pup is growing?

Last edited by Magwart; 11-25-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Elite Member

Good for you for coming to that conclusion and being a big enough person to post your regrets. Hopefully people will take note when researching the GSD and breeders. I always defer purchases till I have the money to buy what I REALLY want, not what I can afford today.

Good luck with your dog.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

We have him on a supplement regiment of 1000 mg of glucosamine and msm. He has good days and bad days.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

What are you doing for inflammation and pain?

Have you talked to the vet about FHO's? is it both hips? Is one worse than the other?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I will say this. Mine really struggled when she got cold. Other than that it was not so bad. I would definitely focus on comfortable warm dog bed. All dogs are different but I know my own arthritic ankle does not like it cold either.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

I'll recommend finding a chiro/accupuncturist. They do wonders. So do lazer treatments. All short of surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page