Nerves , drive, and your dog, - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Nerves , drive, and your dog,

I wouldn't be surprised if this article is on here somewhere. But, I will post anyway just in case. I have learned a lot from reading this. In regards to possible GSD dogs I may purchase in the future and dog behavior in general. Hopefully others will find this just as informative. I would also like to hear others opinion on this article.
http://www.germanshepherdguide.com/temperament.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I always say that Joy Tiz's article on Temperament should be mandatory reading for all GSD owners, would-be owners, past owners, trainers, and breeders or would be breeders.

If your breeder or any wanna-be breeders out there do not have the same level of GSD experience as the author, and cannot discuss drives and temperaments in their dogs in the same vein as this article, they have absolutely no business breeding.

Glad you found it interesting! Go back and read it again as your experience and knowledge grows, you'll get even more out of it.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

I always like the article but I have always questioned Joy Tiz's qualifications to write it and the lack of any supporting documentation.

Does anybody know anything in this area regarding this article?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Master Member

Thanks for sharing. Will read later today.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

MAWL -- Did a web search - the woman's credible. An attorney, went into dog law, and, I guess you could say "gone to the dogs." Tried to copy the info here but Foxfire crashed on me & lost the text.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
MAWL -- Did a web search - the woman's credible. An attorney, went into dog law, and, I guess you could say "gone to the dogs." Tried to copy the info here but Foxfire crashed on me & lost the text.
I wasn't trying to discredit her, I do like the article. I am just saying if you were trying to use this article as supporting documentation yourself, I know the next statement would be: "she's nothing but an author, dog lawyer, etc." Did she just randomly research this and pull it together? Did she consult with dog breeders / trainers/ behaviorists? And if she did, who are they?

I want to know where, or from who, did she get this information or was it from personal experience.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

The only research for this kind of stuff is real world experience. You cannot learn this in class. There is no science experiment that you can do to prove this. You understand after you own, train and work many dogs.

I dont usually say this about articles but this was pretty spot on.

people need to stop looking at theoretical science based on hypothesis derived from something a researcher witnessed when they watched a pack of wolves at the zoo or a rat in a maze and instead look at what matters.

RESULTS. What has this person done, produced and trained. Thats it.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
The only research for this kind of stuff is real world experience. You cannot learn this in class. There is no science experiment that you can do to prove this. You understand after you own, train and work many dogs.

I dont usually say this about articles but this was pretty spot on.

people need to stop looking at theoretical science based on hypothesis derived from something a researcher witnessed when they watched a pack of wolves at the zoo or a rat in a maze and instead look at what matters.

RESULTS. What has this person done, produced and trained. Thats it.
That is my point. Does she have real world experience, if so, what is it? If not, and she put this article together based on other's real world experience, who were they?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Scroll to bottom of page. http://www.germanshepherdguide.com/
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

And her Facebook page says that she does own 2 german shepherd dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page