Getting used to E Collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Getting used to E Collar

So i have watched a few videos on trainers training their dog to ignore the E collar being on. I understand that you dont just put the E collar on and start correcting right away, i understand that you let the dog wear the E collar for a few weeks before u actually use it. My question is do let him wear it for a few weeks straight or do you take it off when they are in the house or whatever. I keep my dogs regular flat collar on at all times. My dog isnt outside without supervision and could never get his collar stuck on anything. He doesnt play with other dogs so he doesnt have the chance of getting stuck with another dog. When we are not home my dog stays in a plastic crate like the ones for travel so he could never get it caught on anything in there. Basically he's safe with his collar on. So do you leave the E collar on when you are getting him used to it or are you supposed to take it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 AM

Why are you resorting to terrorizing your dog? Imagine somebody shocking you everytime they deemed you were inappropriately behaving. That would change a dogs mental state immensely. Their personality would never shine, and you'll get a robot, docile, scared, a what could've been dog..

And some people frown on a little physical correction. This is also a last resort. Me being vocal and assertive usually gets the job done. Even when my boy is in 100% prey drive. He usually snaps out of any nonsense when I show him I mean businsss.

I feel bad for some of these dogs. Really consider that youre messing up your dogs genetic make-up. Can't handle a strong dog? My advice would be a lap dog or a cat..

Hope things work out for you, and you're able to work out any problems you think your dog has.

G
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

Uh oh...here it comes...3...2...1...

I would never use e-collars on my dogs unless it was a last resort, but I trust in my training abilities to know that we could work through just about anything before it ever came to having to use an e-collar. I didn't want to say anything because I knew others on here, from both sides who have experience, would chime in.

I see a storm brewing. It's only a matter of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

There are plenty of folks who use ecollars as training tools.

Old ecollars may have been harsh shocking tools, new ones can be adjusted to very low levels, lower than most TENS units.

I think the best approach is to work on on one with a trainer because for some methods, like low stim, you don't want the dog to associate the collar with the stimand tend to leave it on much of the time or at least randomly and for higher stim methods it may not matter.

Folks who do not use an ecollar should probably not be giving advice on the same. The OP did not ask whether or not to use the tool but how to use it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:04 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, let him wear the collar around the house and on walks for a few weeks before you start training with it - otherwise if it only goes on for training, he will get collar wise.

The main thing about having the collar on is to move it around every few hours to prevent the contacts from causing pressure sores, and to let the skin breathe where the points contact the skin. When people talk about e-collar burns, they are NOT electrical burns, they are pressure sores, allergic reaction to the metal, or other issues due to moisture being trapped under the collar and not getting a chance to dry because the collar is left on too long.

I would not leave the collar on him when you are not there to supervise. Okay to put it on and off several times a day, it will become like just another collar to him.

Appropriate, low-level epcollar stimulation training is very humane and effective, and is even better for some very sensitive dogs who can shut down from being yelled at by their owners - no learning occurs when a dog is this stressed. So Rants about shocking the dog and not being able to control a strong dog are completely off-topic, and such attacks are un-called for.

Please all, post HELPFUL and RESPECTFUL advice - this is not a public forum for rudeness.

Thank you!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Crowned Member

No one really "has" to use an e collar. It doesn't have to be a last resort either. Hey Airman, I've never seen a dog dumb enough that they don't know exactly what you've put around their neck. Its all about how you use it, whether its a prong, e, flat, or choke.

You don't start correcting right away, but there are steps you can go through to teach them what electric is. There's some basic info here, you can read:

Dobbs Training Libraries: Obedience
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM

My posts aren't attacks. Please dont be like the few people who posted on the thread I started. Jumping to conclusions and only reading what they want to see.

I love animals, my pops owns a farm, i slaughter rabbits for meat. My pops has shot a horse right infront of me.

You can sugar coat it anyway you want, allergic reactions to the metal.. if i was allergic, i avoid the cause. Simple denominations, you know? If this is a last resort, I'd like to know why your dog is going to be emotionally traumatized. Cause' you know, this is an internet discussion board... i am not being negative. My suggestions were clear. Be an assertive leader with clear decisions.

Somebody mentions adding stress to your dog. The ecollar itself should be indicating enough after he realizes what's going on. For some people to say 'unless you've used it, you cant post feedback' - baloney.

The dog genetic make-up has been known to mankind for 100,000's of years when we decided messing with their gene pool. Shocking your dog is a new thing, just like shocking people.

G
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

I don't use E-Collars myself not my thing but I don't spread "misinformation" either, these days most of the "Pro's" train dogs with the use of E-Collars.

Lou Castle is a member here and this is his site:
Home

Those should help??

And Jeff Gellman says he can help people find a "Balanced Trainer" local to them:
Free Advice – Solid K9 Training

Look under the heading "free advise" for E Collar stuff.

And Sean O'Shea these days seems to use "everything" to teach his clients to train there dogs:
FAQ - The Good Dog
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo Ramsay View Post
I love animals...i slaughter rabbits for meat.
This confused me. Maybe an attempt at humor, like "I love (to eat) animals"? I've seen bumper stickers like that. Not sure though.

"Last resort" for me would mean that I'd probably never use them. I've thought about it and researched them at times, but after doing some investigation of the pros and cons, I've chosen to avoid them. But that's just me. There are plenty of people on this forum who use them and find success, and they're already starting to chime in which is awesome. I'll just never be one of those people I guess.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo Ramsay View Post
I love animals...i slaughter rabbits for meat.
This confused me. Maybe an attempt at humor, like "I love (to eat) animals"? I've seen bumper stickers like that. Not sure though.

"Last resort" for me would mean that I'd probably never use them.
Im just stating the reality of the spectrum and the world we live in. My info is based on simple research. If we only started incorporating shock elements just recently. There must be an easier and more humane method, or was our ancestors wrong in dividing the wolf gene pool and only selecting the most suitable companion?

Sure some 'experts' can write books, have a decent following, but that doesn't change the facts or the reality of the situation. Cults and hate groups also have a large following - dont be a sheep.

I don't and won't shock my dog. If i cant control the beast, i move on to something a bit more docile. Just like buying a Ferrari - its too fast!! Lets change the internal mechanisms so I can have it. I dont suggest anyone giving up their animals either, that's also a last resort. Fine-tune your animal like you would for a car, but don't replace its soul integrity.

I'll go out on a limb and say majority of the people who own Gsds arent vegans. I love my dog and only kill-harm animals for a greater purpose - feeding myself and revenue(feeding others).

Don't be so naive..

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page