1.5 year old boy living outdoors - winter conditions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

1.5 year old boy living outdoors - winter conditions

Hey all,

I have a 1.5 year old gsd, hes got two layer of coating. Just wondering how well he'll do during the upcoming colder months. We could expect -50 Celsius with windchill soon... this is the extreme of course. I live in central Alberta, relocated here for work, and the owner of where i'm renting doesn't want my dog inside.

So far, he's been a happy camper. He has a shed that he can enter for shelter, I've made the entrance as narrow as possible to prevent much wind from blowing in. Our night-time temp is currently hovering at -25 degrees Celsius.

The backyard is fenced in as well, this helps block out the chill to an extent. I wish he could stay indoors with me. But circumstances don't allow it - i live in a small town with very little options for rent without paying a fortune.

I feed him cooked hot offals with raw chicken pieces for dinner. Morning he gets kibble when i go to work. I figured i would spoil him with the best foods for more fat.

- just got advice to build a smaller shelter within the shed with some straw/insulation so he could curl up in.

I love my dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Knighted Member

He will need a house that he can keep warm with his own body heat. A shed is too big for him to do that no matter how windproof it it unless you are artificially heating it. An insulated dog house (not a dogloo) inside the shed is a good option if you are not going to heat the shed.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 PM
Banned

That's 58 below zero with wind chill. Sorry - I can't comprehend expecting a dog to remain healthy and thrive in those conditions. And your dog is never allowed in the house? Very sad.

Quote" Stay inside. Cats and dogs should be kept inside during cold weather. Itís a common belief that dogs and cats are more resistant than people to cold weather because of their fur, but itís untrue. Like people, cats and dogs are susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia and should be kept inside. Longer-haired and thick-coated dog breeds, such as huskies and other dogs bred for colder climates, are more tolerant of cold weather; but no pet should be left outside for long periods of time in below-freezing weather."

The above paragraph is from the American Veterinary Association website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Banned

That is an "insane" level of temperture for a dog to be expected to tolerate! If you can't heat the shed "propely" then you need to find him a more suitable home. Pretty muc that simple in my view.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

As suggested, build a smaller enclosure within the shed and maybe look into a heating mat. Not sure if your dog is a chewer? Found this on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Lectro-Kennel-Heated-22-5-Inch-28-5-Inch/dp/B000PSRN20
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

They actually made a law here that prohibits dogs from being kept in extreme weather(hot or cold) I'm more of a rebel and I would sneak the dog in at night and look for a doggie day care during the day to protect him. mine go out in that weather and are done within a couple minutes. I've watched my older dog, that is a major furball(will stay outside comfortably in 20 -30 degree weather for long periods--I have to bribe her to come in) collapse due to the cold. I've had to run in the yard barefoot and carry her in.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Couple of these comments make me kinda sad.

Dogs like wolves have lived outside during winter months for centuries. You can even find husky videos living in the artic curled up in snow.. i didn't post this for negative feedback. You have your opinion, but if i could he would be inside in my +23 Celsius room. Which is also an extreme temperature for a living creature with a double coat.

Telling me i should rehome my dog is a sucker punch. You need to get off your high horse. Reality just kicked in, and dogs are resilient beings that can adapt to extreme conditions.

I love my dog, and will provide for him. A dog house will be constructed and insulated before it hits -40 and stored inside the shed. I feed him the best, and he will strive wherever i bring him.. he's been across Canada with me. This is just another obstacle that we both need to overcome.

I expected much more from this board. Y'all probably want me to knit him a jumper suit too eh? While he eats a $25 steak, then he can **** on my bed.. get real people. I appreciate the first comment being constructive after reading through my post.

** Comments like this do not belong on this board. ADMIN**
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
He will need a house that he can keep warm with his own body heat. A shed is too big for him to do that no matter how windproof it it unless you are artificially heating it. An insulated dog house (not a dogloo) inside the shed is a good option if you are not going to heat the shed.
Appreciate the honest answer. My friend who owns 8 dogs also suggested that the shed would be too cold for him to heat himself up. Best bet is a dog house with some form of insulation. I do suspect him to start curling up in the snow during the day. He only jumps into the shed at night to sleep and sits on the deck most evenings.

Thanks stranger.

Last edited by Gordo Ramsay; 11-24-2015 at 10:21 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 PM

Hey, no need to get nasty. You asked how well he'd do in the upcoming colder months. You are getting opinions. That said, -50 Celsius sounds ridiculously cold for most of us and our dogs. We do have many forum members that live in Canada, and there are threads on here about dogs outside in extreme temperatures. Maybe do a search and read some past discussions.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo Ramsay View Post
Couple of these comments make me kinda sad.

Dogs like wolves have lived outside during winter months for centuries. You can even find husky videos living in the artic curled up in snow.. i didn't post this for negative feedback. You have your opinion, but if i could he would be inside in my +23 Celsius room. Which is also an extreme temperature for a living creature with a double coat.

Telling me i should rehome my dog is a sucker punch. You need to get off your high horse. Reality just kicked in, and dogs are resilient beings that can adapt to extreme conditions.

I love my dog, and will provide for him. A dog house will be constructed and insulated before it hits -40 and stored inside the shed. I feed him the best, and he will strive wherever i bring him.. he's been across Canada with me. This is just another obstacle that we both need to overcome.
One thing that its important to remember is that dogs are not wolves. Wolves have a different type of coat than dogs with more insulation (both from cold and heat) and a distinct summer and winter coat.
Dog breeds are selectively bred for certain environments. If you put a short coated breed like a pitbull or doberman in this weather, they would very obviously have trouble, and not make it in those temps. Huskies are dogs selectively bred for these types of temps... German shepherds are not, they would fall somewhere in between. -40 degrees is VERY cold

Your dog may or may not be able to tolerate these temps. I would definitely recommend finding a way to heat the shed, in addition to providing insulation, as well as maybe looking into options for what you are going to do if he is not able to handle he winter. (as much as I know it would be hard to think about) Hopefully this is just a temporary living situation, and your dog will make it through until you can find someplace where he can live inside with you!

Last edited by CaliGSD3; 11-24-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page