Meet Rango! (non GSD with a GSD sister) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Meet Rango! (non GSD with a GSD sister)

Hi Everybody!

I want to share my new buddy, Rango! He is a Australian cattledog and is as cute as a button! My partner and I have been causally looking for a second dog for some time now, but things have never quite worked out for us, such as when we would inquired about a dog, something would prevent us from adopting them ( in process of be adopted already, or would have issues we wouldn't be able to handle at this moment etc.). Long story short, we went on a vacation to the east side of Oregon, and on a whim, walked through the animal shelter. Well, we saw Chaz, as he was called there, and knew we had to take him home. He is goofy and sweet, and extremely friendly. A HUGE selling point for us was when we did the meet and greet with Vega, who is not the biggest fan of other dogs, they were instantly best friends. He follows her around the house, they love to play together, the whole nine yards. We cut our vacation short so we could have him be in a home environment and enjoy him more!
We don't know much about Rango, all the shelter knew was they he was chained up as a yard dog for most of his life, he as absolutely no leash manners or OB skills, and hasn't been fixed. But he is housebroken! YAY! He has a neutering appt later this week and OB classes start next month, so we will work on what we can until then. Lastly, he has NO IDEA what to do with the cat. I think Rango thinks the kitty is some sort of realllllly little puppy, because he keeps trying to play with her. So for now, they are being kept separated until he can control himself a bit more and the cat stops trying to claw his face.

Anywhoooo, we are so in love! Even though he needs some work, he is the best dog for us and for Vega.
I'm hoping the photos I attached work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151123_121901-1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	331666  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega-gurl View Post
My partner and I have been...
Off topic, but I wanted to ask, why do I constantly see people referring to their significant other as "partner"? Back in the day, if you said "partner" it meant that you were gay or a lesbian. I have no issues with that. But nowadays, I see people calling their husband or wife or boyfriend/girlfriend in a heterosexual relationship their "partner." I just don't understand. I have never called my wife my partner. Of course, she is my life partner, but I would call her my wife before calling her my partner verbally or in a public forum. Am I getting so old in my ways that this might be a new PC thing I missed out on? I'm not very PC, so if I missed it, it's OK. I still try to respect everyone, regardless of what they believe. I've been fighting for human rights, animal rights, and environmental rights longer than most of my peers have been alive. I try to remain balanced and gain an understanding of both sides, without siding with one or the other, PC or whoever.

And back on topic, my Nara's best friends at the dog park when she was a pup was an Australian Shepherd named Aussie. Aussie's human later got her an Australian Cattledog for a sister, named Opal. Nara loved playing with both of them. Cute dogs. I'd take a Cattledog in a heartbeat.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:58 PM

First love the name Rango (Johnny Depp lizard movie right?) second: oh boy will you have your hands full with this breed but that face in the picture will definitely worth it. Love him....
Now to the " Partner" part I agree with counter, I see and hear it a lot now-a-days and everytime feel like it should be preceded by "Howdy" lol......maybe I'm just too old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:10 PM

I don't really see what is wrong with calling someone their "partner", or why some people think it's weird. People have been doing it for at least a good decade or so now; it's really not a new thing.

I myself prefer the term "partner" because it implies an equal standing between the two of us. (because there are still many people in this world who think their wives/girlfriends are below them) And if I'm in a serious relationship, then my partner IS going to be my "partner" in almost all things. Kind of like how people refer to their partner as their best friend/soulmate/etc. It's just another term some people like to use.

It's also a neutral term, which is great for referring to people who are non-binary (neither male or female, or people who are both but still prefer neutral terms/pronouns). I know some people are used to using gendered words like wife/husband/etc. but people often forget that the gender binary doesn't apply to everyone, and therefore, the need for gender-neutral terms arises.

Non-binary people have existed since the dawn of time, but the reason that the usage of neutral terms is being more common is because our society is slowly becoming more open-minded, so people feel comfortable expressing themselves and their identities.

Well, that and some people just prefer the term, like me. :P

/ end LGBT+ lesson

Anyways, back on topic: what a sweet looking dog! Butters' first and arguably best friend was an Australian Cattle Dog. Some of them are a bit high-energy for my taste (Butters isn't a super high drive/energy dog so I'm not used to dogs who are), but they're such fun, and in my experience friendly dogs.

I'm hope things continue to go well for you guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Butters - 10/11/14
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

Great looking pup. Love the name .It was a great movie. Glad Vega gurl likes her little brother.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

What an adorable dog! Glad you rescued him ... Look forward to more pictures of him & his sister.

Garrison - GSD
Cupid - terrier mix (shelter rescue)
Stella Artois - lab/boxer (?) mix (shelter rescue)
Saranac - Siberian Husky
3 kitties, 1 goldfish, 1 cockatiel
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
I don't really see what is wrong with calling someone their "partner", or why some people think it's weird. People have been doing it for at least a good decade or so now; it's really not a new thing.

I myself prefer the term "partner" because it implies an equal standing between the two of us. (because there are still many people in this world who think their wives/girlfriends are below them) And if I'm in a serious relationship, then my partner IS going to be my "partner" in almost all things. Kind of like how people refer to their partner as their best friend/soulmate/etc. It's just another term some people like to use.

It's also a neutral term, which is great for referring to people who are non-binary (neither male or female, or people who are both but still prefer neutral terms/pronouns). I know some people are used to using gendered words like wife/husband/etc. but people often forget that the gender binary doesn't apply to everyone, and therefore, the need for gender-neutral terms arises.

Non-binary people have existed since the dawn of time, but the reason that the usage of neutral terms is being more common is because our society is slowly becoming more open-minded, so people feel comfortable expressing themselves and their identities.

Well, that and some people just prefer the term, like me. :P

/ end LGBT+ lesson
Thanks for the explanation. I get it. I do. I just don't agree with it (for me), probably because "partner" in my life's history and experience was a sure sign that you're LGBT, which I'm not, so I don't want there to be any confusion on any level. My wife IS my equal (well actually, I view her as being superior to me in most ways...MUCH RESPECT for her and what she does for our family/kids!). I don't need to call her something other than "wife." I've never seen myself above any girlfriend. I also have never seen myself over minorities just because I am a white male. But I get it, like I said. I understand that I am in the minority when it comes to my open-mindedness, being anti-racist and anti-sexist. I've fought for equality ever since I was a kid, and this was while I was being raised to be racist. Glad I trusted my own instinct instead of what my parents were trying to brainwash me into believing about other humans. But trust me, I work with a bunch of racist (both white and black people), sexist, close-minded people everyday in the military and around the civilian sector. So again, I appreciate this explanation.

I guess it's like the Google Doodle on this past Veteran's Day, where a bunch of people wrote to complain about how it was a misrepresentation of the race ratio in the military. Supposedly 60%+ of the military are white, yet in the Google Doodle, it looked like none of the 8 or so people, possibly maybe only one, were drawn to resemble a Caucasian. With 100% honesty, when I looked at the Doodle, I never even caught the color of the people, and it did not offend me that the military was represented as such. It didn't dawn on me until I read about the complaints, and then had to go back and look to see what I missed. I just don't see color I guess, just like I don't see gender when it comes to inequality or roles at work or in a family. Yeah, I guess I am a rare breed.

Last edited by counter; 11-24-2015 at 02:34 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I use partner for most of the reasons posted, however, I most use partner because it seems to best fit our lifestyle. At some point, Colton and I assume we will get married, but we aren't at that point, nor do we know for sure if that is the right choice for us. But we are more serious then what boyfriend/girlfriend implies. So partner works for us in the way that it means we are very committed to each other and the life we are building, but since we are not married, husband and wife feels inappropriate.

Also, thanks everyone! we know we have lots of work ahead of us, but we are excited for the challenge!

Last edited by Vega-gurl; 11-24-2015 at 03:19 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishkasMom View Post
First love the name Rango (Johnny Depp lizard movie right?) second: oh boy will you have your hands full with this breed but that face in the picture will definitely worth it. Love him....
Now to the " Partner" part I agree with counter, I see and hear it a lot now-a-days and everytime feel like it should be preceded by "Howdy" lol......maybe I'm just too old
Haha, we only realizes the "rango" connection until after we named him. Mostly, we were trying to think of a name that sounded vaguely cowboy-ish and Rango just fit him really well. We got a good chuckle once we thought about the movie, which we both liked alot, so it works out well!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Aren't they cute together?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151123_121827.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	331730  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page