How big should my dogs be? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

How big should my dogs be?

Hello, I have two GSD's, both are 18 months old (both brothers from the same litter), and they just seem to be smaller than all the other dogs I see. Are they supposed to be getting bigger?

Shadow's chest is getting bigger (from the bottom of his chest to his spine), but that's all that's happening now lol. Shadow is currently around 82-85 lbs, and Dargun is 87-90 lbs (hard to get an accurate measurement because they keep moving, but between the 2 scales I've had them on this is the info I got).

I don't know, to me they just look like darker coyotes lol. I still love them none the less, just wandering if they will get bigger.

1 year ago:

Within the last month.

Dargun is the darker one, and Shadow is the lighter one. Shadow stands a little bit taller than Dargun, but Dargun weighs more than Shadow. You can also see Dargun has an enormous head compared to Shadow lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:26 PM

The standard for the breed is 66 to 88 pounds. Though there are certainly many who are bigger.

I've heard that it can take up to 3 years before a GSD is fully grown.

But if you have a male GSD around 90 lbs... that's a pretty normal weight I think. If anything, it's on the bigger/heavier side.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

How tall should they be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Male dogs height at the withers: 60cm to 65cm (24in to 26in)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys very much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Elite Member

Coyotes on average (and depending on what part of the country/world you live in) are only 20-50 lbs, so a GSD nearing 90 lbs would be almost double the size of the largest coyote. I interact with coyotes almost daily here in Idaho. These guys look like small fluffy dogs, and are only 25-30 lbs. My GSDs have chased them, and the size difference is obvious and clear. A GSD is much, much larger than a coyote. Remember, GSDs are the dog size/shape that most closely resemble the average wolf, and wolves are a lot larger than coyotes.

Also, most of these "large" GSDs you see wherever you live are usually overweight (FAT!!!) because most owners of oversized dogs are proud to tell you how BIG their 125 lb dogs are. I have an oversized male and female, just slightly over the breed standard, and I'm constantly being told how small they are for a GSD. Sad to say, but these people who pass comments don't even know what the breed standard is. Also, most people who think their dog is 125 lbs find out later that their dog is really 80-90 lbs. It all goes back to that bigger is better mindset. They convince themselves that they and their dog are better than you and your dog because their dog is HUGE and yours is puny. Measure the dog by height, not weight. A healthy dog should look like a slim and toned, muscular pro athelete, not a sumo wrestler.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Master Member

I think your dogs look great at the size they are! They will gain a bit more weight as they mature and continue to fill out. Just don't let them get overweight....so stressful on their joints. HANDSOME dogs....absolutely love the black faced male!

Deanna

SG Isen Vom Kavallerie IPO2 AD BH CGCA CGCU TC (GSD)
Devka von der Felsenstadt (GSD)
Red CGC (GSD)
Gypsy BH CGCA (lab)

At the Bridge....Charlie and Shiloh
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
Hello, I have two GSD's, both are 18 months old (both brothers from the same litter), and they just seem to be smaller than all the other dogs I see. Are they supposed to be getting bigger?

Shadow's chest is getting bigger (from the bottom of his chest to his spine), but that's all that's happening now lol. Shadow is currently around 82-85 lbs, and Dargun is 87-90 lbs (hard to get an accurate measurement because they keep moving, but between the 2 scales I've had them on this is the info I got).

I don't know, to me they just look like darker coyotes lol. I still love them none the less, just wondering if they will get bigger.

1 year ago:

Within the last month.

Dargun is the darker one, and Shadow is the lighter one. Shadow stands a little bit taller than Dargun, but Dargun weighs more than Shadow. You can also see Dargun has an enormous head compared to Shadow lol.
Two 18-month-old brothers and this ^^^ is your main concern???

I'm impressed! Handsome dogs by the way and Welcome aboard.

Last edited by Chip18; 11-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Here in Washington coyotes are a nuisance so every year we go deer hunting we kill all the coyotes we see lol. Our dogs (mainly Shadow) looks really close to a coyote to me, and the other day I was thinking, why are people scared of these dogs? I know they love me and aren't growling and barking at me, but still, just struck me as odd lol.

Thank you! We're trying to get them the right amount of exercise, but out issue right now is their jealousy towards each other. If we take one of them on a walk and leave the other at the house, when we get back they want to fight. Beings that it's usually just me home, I don't like to walk them both. They are fairly trained, but if Shadow sees a rabbit bolt into the woods, he's gone, then Dargun will chase Shadow, and we have a whole new mess. They really like playing with water from the hose, so that's been their exercise for a while. Now that it's winter, my brother and dad are home for a few months so we will be able to get back on regular walks. I would like to be able to take one out on a walk and them not fight when we get back. Any tips on how I go about fixing this issue?

Here is Shadow with the hose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPONlnA7jw
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
Here in Washington coyotes are a nuisance so every year we go deer hunting we kill all the coyotes we see lol. Our dogs (mainly Shadow) looks really close to a coyote to me, and the other day I was thinking, why are people scared of these dogs? I know they love me and aren't growling and barking at me, but still, just struck me as odd lol.

Thank you! We're trying to get them the right amount of exercise, but out issue right now is their jealousy towards each other. If we take one of them on a walk and leave the other at the house, when we get back they want to fight. Beings that it's usually just me home, I don't like to walk them both. They are fairly trained, but if Shadow sees a rabbit bolt into the woods, he's gone, then Dargun will chase Shadow, and we have a whole new mess. They really like playing with water from the hose, so that's been their exercise for a while. Now that it's winter, my brother and dad are home for a few months so we will be able to get back on regular walks. I would like to be able to take one out on a walk and them not fight when we get back. Any tips on how I go about fixing this issue?

Here is Shadow with the hose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPONlnA7jw
Well, it is double trouble that you have. Yes, GSDs can be jealous. They can resource guard anything: food, toys, you. They are a lot of dog to pull apart when they are going at it.

Your boys are 18 months old. They need training, lots of it. And you need to be a leader. Still keeping littermates is generally frowned upon by people who know, for a number of reasons, one being the pups can be the same power and then fights ensue. If one is significantly higher in dominance than the other, the one might be a bully and the other might not reach his potential. So, if people keep litter mates, they generally separate them fairly young. They train them separately, and they work them separately. And, any time where they allow them to be together is supervised and limited.

Or you neuter the lesser of the two in dominance, and jack up your canine leadership skills.

Some people will let males figure it out. Boys rarely kill each other. unlike females, who will if they are not separated when fighting. Others think that is barbaric.

The thing is, if you let boys figure it out, you had better be on the same page. You can't go treating the one like the superior if he is actually the inferior or you will create issues.

Other problems with raising two at once is that they (hopefully) grow old together, and you have two geriatric dogs at the same time - twice the vet bills. And they get so attached to each other, that if one is gone, the get depressed, or anxious, and if one dies, they generally follow soon after, so it is double the grief.

Water under the bridge though really, because you have litter mates. Now you need to take them in hand, because they are only getting bigger and stronger. Walking them separately is your best bet, because what if they decide they want to eat each other a mile away from home, and you have to try and get them home while keeping 170# of dog muscle and fang from eating the other.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page