Obedience Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Obedience Questions

I have stated in earlier posts that Jameson (4 month old) has been great so far , he plays well with our 2 yr old male, gets along with family and guests. He is very well behaved when on individual walks thru our local town he is great with strangers, children and other dogs.

The two problems so far are:
1) When at obedience school he barks the entire time, which I find odd because he is primarily silent when he is at home.

2) During yesterdays walk, my 2 yr old male was walking ahead of us (myself and the pup). The pup began to bark and pull like I have never heard or felt from him. The minute we caught up and he was in the lead the barking and pulling completely subsided.

Just looking for opinions on what steps I can take to improve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

Find an obedience class with an instructor that can help you with your issues youre wasting money and time with the one you are with
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Agreed on the wasting time and money. Bear's obedience trainer had the barkers quiet by the end of the first class by putting barriers in front of them so they couldn't see. All was rather quiet for a room full of dogs who don't know each other after that.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amburger16 View Post
Agreed on the wasting time and money. Bear's obedience trainer had the barkers quiet by the end of the first class by putting barriers in front of them so they couldn't see. All was rather quiet for a room full of dogs who don't know each other after that.

Have you ever heard an obedience instructor suggest holding the snout together - and give the command quiet ?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson23 View Post
Have you ever heard an obedience instructor suggest holding the snout together - and give the command quiet ?

I personally have not, but this is the first time I have gone to a formal obedience class. I feel as if that isn't appropriate for a professional to be teaching... That is a good way to get bit if you do it to the wrong dog.

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amburger16 View Post
I personally have not, but this is the first time I have gone to a formal obedience class. I feel as if that isn't appropriate for a professional to be teaching... That is a good way to get bit if you do it to the wrong dog.
Of course you pay up front, and the fee wasn't that much for 8 weeks of classes but i figured it was a beginnig class

there have been a few things so far which have definitely made me think

1) She uses her own dog as an example, and then says dont let our dogs get near hers casue he doesnt like other dogs.. that alone seems odd tbh

2) Then there was the issue with the barking.

Our third class is tonight - i will keep you posted !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Of course you pay up front, and the fee wasn't that much for 8 weeks of classes but i figured it was a beginnig class

there have been a few things so far which have definitely made me think

1) She uses her own dog as an example, and then says dont let our dogs get near hers casue he doesnt like other dogs.. that alone seems odd tbh

2) Then there was the issue with the barking.

Our third class is tonight - i will keep you posted !
She brings her dog who doesn't like dogs into a class full of untrained dogs... Yeah.. I would run for the hills. Maybe post your location and someone in the area could direct you to a good trainer

Bear - 02/26/15
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Knighted Member

What correction have you used for the barking? It is obviously not working. You will likely have to step it up.

We had a reactive WL GSD in our beginner I class in the beginning of October. It took a strong pop on the prong to get him to stop barking at everything (other dogs, people, his reflection in the mirrors, dust floating in the air). Now he's getting ready to graduate from his second set of classes (beginner II) and is a model dog. He needed his owner to understand that positive only wasn't going to work on him. He needed his owner to step up and be a leader who would enforce their rules and MAKE him do what she wanted him to.

PS. Does her dog not like other dogs, or does her dog not like rude dogs getting in his face? Rude dogs with clueless owner that let them get in each others' faces is pretty common on the first day. Neither would bother me though. Dogs don't have to like other dogs. It's a training class, not a dog park. The dog's shouldn't be interacting with each other anyway and shouldn't be within leash reach of each other. I just spent the weekend with a GSD that WILL NOT tolerate other dogs being jerks and getting in her space. Does not mean she didn't deserve to be in the top 10 (all-breeds) rally standings and shouldn't have been out trialing. Her own just makes sure to let others know to respect her space.

Last edited by angelas; 11-19-2015 at 05:34 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

What correction have you used for the barking? It is obviously not working. You will likely have to step it up.

So far we have only tried what our class instructor has told us, which was to grab hold of snout

We had a reactive WL GSD in our beginner I class in the beginning of October. It took a strong pop on the prong to get him to stop barking at everything (other dogs, people, his reflection in the mirrors, dust floating in the air).

As stated he only barks in class, and we were advised against the prong color.

Now he's getting ready to graduate from his second set of classes (beginner II) and is a model dog. He needed his owner to understand that positive only wasn't going to work on him. He needed his owner to step up and be a leader who would enforce their rules and MAKE him do what she wanted him to.

Hopefully we will get there very soon

Does her dog not like other dogs, or does her dog not like rude dogs getting in his face? Rude dogs with clueless owner that let them get in each others' faces is pretty common on the first day. Neither would bother me though. Dogs don't have to like other dogs. It's a training class, not a dog park. The dog's shouldn't be interacting with each other anyway and shouldn't be within leash reach of each other. I just spent the weekend with a GSD that WILL NOT tolerate other dogs being jerks and getting in her space. Does not mean she didn't deserve to be in the top 10 (all-breeds) rally standings and shouldn't have been out trialing. Her own just makes sure to let others know to respect her space.

No dogs are getting in her dogs face, she told us her dog is not friendly and keep our dogs away. Her dog is a Dalmation
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:

So far we have only tried what our class instructor has told us, which was to grab hold of snout

That's not a correction.

A leash pop and loud "KNOCK IT OFF!" would probably work better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page