Has A Scare Last Night! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Has A Scare Last Night!

I had a scare last night. At around 4AM, Newlie started barking, jumped off the bed and ran to the bedroom door which I always keep closed. It wasn't his typical, "I hear another dog barking, Mom, let me go see about it" bark, it was a "I want to kill you" bark. I turned on the bedroom light, grabbed the gun and the phone and was getting ready to dial when I heard the sound that a chain link fence makes when somebody is jumping over it. After a couple of minutes, Newlie came back over and laid down, but needless to say, I couldn't go back to sleep. I probably should have called somebody..My neighbor has told me a number of times before to call, day or night, but you hate to wake somebody up at 4 o'clock in the morning and I am reluctant to call the police for fear that I might need them more another time and then they might think I am a crank.

It's going to be a long day today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:05 PM

Good boy Newlie!I think you should have called the police.The person may even have been running from the police through people's yards.Or maybe looking for a place to rob.I don't think they would mind sending a car over to patrol the area.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

Good dog!!! It's stunning when our loving, sweet housedogs show us that they really have a different "I mean business" sound when they perceive a real threat.

It's worth going by the police station to make a report, just so there's a record that someone has been lurking in your property. There's no telling who the police may be looking for that does that sort of thing, but it could be a datapoint that helps them realize someone is active in the area that they've been looking for.

Let all your neighbors know too -- the perp may try a different house without a dog, but the chance of catching him is higher if everyone collectively is looking out for him. See if you can get your neighbors all to join a site called Nextdoor Neighbor (nextdoor.com) -- it can create a local "neighborhood forum" where everyone can post anything going on, and it's a great way to track crime in real time. We know the instant someone sketchy shows up ringing doorbells pretending to sell fake products to see who's home and who isn't -- because people start posting, sometimes with pictures, tracking his progress, while waiting for the police, often with a description of the car and license plate. That kind of engagement makes a neighborhood very inhospitable to criminals. (I think once you set it up, you can send out electronic invites to everyone whose email address you have in the neighborhood, and they can then invite others that they know, and so on. It's usually done by a HOA, but I think anyone can do it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

My neighborhood is generally safe, but there does seem like there has been a flurry of suspicious or criminal activity around the area lately, some of it on the news and some just stories you hear. A lady I work with told me that her mother-in-law lives in the same area I do and had a similar experience recently.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

Good Job Newlie. I understand you not wanting to call the poice but it could help them find out whats going on in your neighborhood. Glad you have your Newlie alarm system.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

Good boy, Newlie!!! I'm glad he did his job and kept you safe! He has earned a juicy steak!!!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Glad you both stayed safe!! Good boy Newlie!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM

Waytogo Newlie!!!! I agree...... give him a steak and clean your weapon!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:49 PM

Glad you are safe! What a good pup (and alarm!) to keep you safe! Steaks for everyone!!

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Banned

I would call too. Things can get crazy with theives during the holidays. If police are tracking a pattern they appreciate the additional information.

As far as the "experience" you just had with your dog. I believe it is positive. My scare of a similar nature a couple of months ago made me realize that my dog was hyper vigilant to the noises going on outside but ALSO TO ME. They "read" you and see your reaction and concern too. It's training in a real situation and invaluable IMO.

Since my experience,I have set up leash and collar sets at front and back doors and also inside the shop door out back. Where ever I exit if this happens she will be right beside me and under my control. If someone is trying to break in the back door I will exit the front with my dog. I hate the thought of getting away while I'm calling the police and having her stay inside to confront the bad guy. I want her with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page