Little Tracking Device for my new Buddy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Little Tracking Device for my new Buddy

Hi everyone,

I have a 2 month old and I adore him greatly already. However, he has a bit of an adventurous side that scares me at times.
In order to give me more comfort, I have looked into buying little tracking devices such as this one. This is my first dog, and it almost seems like a given to me to to have something like this to protect him. Can anybody think of any negatives of having him wear one?

Looking forward to any advice.

-thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

How about if you put him on a long line and teach him to come back to you instead of letting him roam?

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

Train and bond with your dog so that he doesn't stray from you. Teach him the recall...it might save his life one day.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

My main concern is having him get out of the house some how. I have a 4 year old and 7 year old that tend to leave the door open from time to time.

Really, anything could happen. I just want to have to not worry about it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

It would do nothing to actually protect him. What if someone removes his collar? The negative is a false sense of security. Now is the time to train him to be offlead and to come when called - a 2 month old should not be THAT adventurous. Your dog should not be loose at that age if YOU can't watch him. I raised a GSD with a 3 year old and pregnant, and another with a 6 year old and 3 year old. You crate the pup when you can't watch him or tether him to you. Your kids are old enough to learn some rules.

It really does not look that useful-bluetooth range is nothing. Relies on others to have the app and to have bluetooth one. If it got popular it would be annoying like waze.
TrackR Bravo Review: Hands-On With a Coin-Sized Bluetooth Tracker for Lost Items - Mac Rumors

Now I do have a Garmin Astro Collar/GPS for a working SAR dog. but he is supposed to be out of visual range at times and I use it to track coverage. I think right now they are about $600. Dog only wears it when he is working though.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Banned

It looks like the cheap one's only have a 100 foot range.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:20 PM

This one would not be too helpful if your dog actually ran away because of the range being too small. Like others have mentioned though, training and being careful are much better options than getting a GPS tracker so you don't have to worry about it.
Being able to track your dog won't necessarily keep him from harm. For example it doesn't take very long to get hit by a car. Also he's at a prime age for people to want to keep him for themselves if they found him loose... removing a collar would not be difficult.

That being said I have new a rescue dog who is extremely shy/terrified-of-strangers and very flighty. If he ever did get loose, the odds of anyone being able to get near him are very low. So I have looked into long range trackers to have in addition to tons of daily training and always extra safety precautions. (Especially because being a GSD/Husky people are always mistaking him for a wolf!)
A 2 month old GSD raised and trained right should not have these issues. Its a perfect age to use a long line and work on recall.

Definitely crate the pup or have him in an ex pen if he's loose in the house unsupervised with young children who may leave a door open. At 8 weeks, being unsupervised while having free run of the house isn't a great idea already.

But anyways, I haven't been able to find any that would be effective for a dog that has gone very far out of sight. One tracker called TAGG used to be good but then got bought out by another company recently and is not very functional anymore.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:23 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryYT View Post
My main concern is having him get out of the house some how. I have a 4 year old and 7 year old that tend to leave the door open from time to time.

Really, anything could happen. I just want to have to not worry about it.
Simply crate the dog when you're not around to supervise, and put a lock on it if you have to keep the kids from opening it. And teach the kids the importance of locking doors.

This device has a 100ft range, using regular Bluetooth. It is not a GPS tracker, but rather a useless gimmick. Don't waste your money or (worse) actually rely on it for your dog's safety.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Maybe a cheap battery operated alarm to sound when the door is opened.

It is one thing if a puppy gets out but if a fully grown GSD charges out the door there could be real trouble and legal liability so building in control mechanisms now is important.

I guess there might be some utility in the devices that tell you your dog has left a containment area but you should be watching them better than that anyway. Anything electronic like that can fail anyway. Even a $600 GPS .

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It would do nothing to actually protect him. What if someone removes his collar? The negative is a false sense of security. Now is the time to train him to be offlead and to come when called - a 2 month old should not be THAT adventurous. Your dog should not be loose at that age if YOU can't watch him. I raised a GSD with a 3 year old and pregnant, and another with a 6 year old and 3 year old. You crate the pup when you can't watch him or tether him to you. Your kids are old enough to learn some rules.

It really does not look that useful-bluetooth range is nothing. Relies on others to have the app and to have bluetooth one. If it got popular it would be annoying like waze.
TrackR Bravo Review: Hands-On With a Coin-Sized Bluetooth Tracker for Lost Items - Mac Rumors

Now I do have a Garmin Astro Collar/GPS for a working SAR dog. but he is supposed to be out of visual range at times and I use it to track coverage. I think right now they are about $600. Dog only wears it when he is working though.
Unfortunately you are correct. I already bought it, so I'll just give it to my wife to put on her keys because she is always losing them in the house haha.

I'll hold off on the dog gps for now since they cost quite a bit of $$. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page