Pet Health Insurance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Pet Health Insurance

I am looking to pick up pet health insurance for our pup Jameson.

I am leaning toward Trupanion, any one on have any experience with them ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Knighted Member

We've had Trupanion for years. We first got it with our rescue pit mix. She ended up getting cancer and we've had no problems with the numerous claims we've submitted for her care. They've covered surgeries, cancer meds, supplements that our vet prescribes... everything. When we got our GSD puppy last year, we looked into other companies and almost went with Healthy Paws for him, as it would have been a bit cheaper. We stayed with Trupanion, though, because we have never had problems with them, they cover all the things we want covered, and they give you a $0 deductible option. I would say Healthy Paws likely would have been great, as well.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Trupanion. I worked in animal hospital and can say that true Pandion was one of the only ones that really paid back to the owners. I knew a dog with a congenital defect that they even paid for her thousands of dollars of care until she passed away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

Please look in the archives -- we've had lots of long, complex threads about this. There's one thread where an insurance expert member goes through the fine print in lots of different policies. It's a brilliant thread that really ought to be sticky.

ETA: the summary of the threads is that PetPlan and Healthy Paws tend to be the winners of the analysis. I'm not going to go over why, as it's all right there in those threads and has been hashed through multiple times.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Please look in the archives -- we've had lots of long, complex threads about this. There's one thread where an insurance expert member goes through the fine print in lots of different policies. It's a brilliant thread that really ought to be sticky.

ETA: the summary of the threads is that PetPlan and Healthy Paws tend to be the winners of the analysis. I'm not going to go over why, as it's all right there in those threads and has been hashed through multiple times.
I figured there had to be and I even searched but was unable to find anything.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

German Shepherd Dog Forums - Search Results

This is one of the very good ones:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-opinions.html

Last edited by Magwart; 11-17-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Master Member

I use Healthy Paws and have been very pleased with how they have handled my claims. They do not offer a "wellness" plan for yearly check-ups but that is what helps to keep their costs reasonable.

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Elite Member

The only ones I would use are PetPlan (have it now) and HealthyPaws (possibly next time). I have put in about $5000 to PetPlan since June and they always pay within 2 weeks not questions asked. I'm very pleased with them.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 PM

I am looking into health insurance as well. I would also be interested in people's experiences and preferences. Based off that thread, which I read a while back, Healthy Paws and Netplan sound like the best options.
Does anyone have experiences with either of these covering hip dysplasia?
I've heard that Trupanion will pay their side of the balance up front rather than you having to come up with the thousands of dollars on the spot and getting reimbursed later. So that would be a benefit of Trupanion.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 PM

I have Trupanion and I have been very happy with them. They have paid out thousands of dollars and are very quick to pay. They do agree to pay the vet directly but my vet won't do that as it appears to be a lot of extra work for the receptionist. I did do that one time and it did seem to be a lot of work for the office manage. They will pre-approve proceedures so you know that it will be covered. I have had only one real increase in rates, my dog will turn 6 in January, the rate increase was this year. They have made some changes, (good changes) in the policy as well this year. There are options to cover things the general policy doesn't cover. They have a per incident deductable, once met that condition is covered for the life of the pet.

Be careful with any pet insurance, best to get it while still a puppy as pre-existing conditions are not covered. Always read your policy closely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page