More holistic options - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

More holistic options

So after reading about the new neutering method of injecting another chemical into a dog to essentially kill part of the body, I started to look at more holistic things I can do.
What vaccines do I really need? I know some are required by law, but the ones that aren't seem like overkill.
Also, anyone have experience with 2 unneutered makes together? Pushing my gf to forgo neutering her lab mix....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

I have a spayed female and 3 in tact males. No issues. We go to a holistic vet. The dogs only get rabies shots every 3 to 5 years. No other vaccines. Not sure where you live, but I would find a holistic vet near you, even if you have to drive a ways. It's worth it if this is how you want to raise your dogs. I'm like you and definitely trying to minimize any unnatural chemicals that get put into my dogs' bodies. We are ultra-responsible dog owners and would never allow for an oops litter or dog fighting or any other behavioral issues that are normally associated with in tact dogs. Our dogs don't escape. They don't roam. They don't hump. They mark outdoors, which is fine by me. They don't mark when I don't allow them to, like on walks, etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:33 PM

I was currently looking up Holistic approaches with the vaccines as well because I came across it with Leerburg articles........def something to think about and research more about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

Do not skip puppy vaccines -- it's flat out negligent dog ownership. Whatever else you do, parvo and distemper are terrible, terrible ways for a puppy to die -- I don't think any responsible holistic vet is going to tell you to skip puppy vaccines.

I met a distraught lady at an adoption event whose GSD had just died of Leptospirosis. She didn't vax because she'd read somewhere to be afraid of the Lepto vaccine. She should have been more afraid of Lepto itself. Her dog might be alive if she'd made a different choice. That's a very hard thing for her to live with now.

Please be smart about these choices. You can reduce vaccine load where titers show the dog is protected. Skipping them entirely is not okay.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

3 Puppy Vaccination Mistakes: Too Early, Too Often, Too Much - Dogs Naturally Magazine
This article got me thinking too. I totally get not putting my dogs at risk. But definitely want to explore my options
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Wanted to add: we bought Nara at 8 weeks old, and there were no holistic vets where we lived in VA. I also didn't know much about the holistic approach, so I found the vet with the best reputation and went to them. She had all of the normal puppy shots. We rescued Paw Paw at 7 months old, so he came with all of his shots already. We rescued Beowulf at 14 weeks old in Oregon, where we were already going to a holistic vet, and he got whatever the basic shots were that were supported by the holistic vet. Kaze was 2 years old when we rescued him, so he already had his puppy shots too. I know a lot of people seem to vax every year. That's what I meant when I said we only do rabies now. Didn't want to confuse anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page