Driving long distances - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Driving long distances

So I'm about 3 weeks out from moving from Virginia to Florida and I am trying think about ways to make my 14-16 hr drive easier on my 14 month old GSD. I've taken him on a good amount of short drives up to 30-45 mins and he does fine, but I'm worried that on a drive that long that he'll whine a bunch or even worse potentially get car sick and throw up everywhere. I had a friend recommend sedating him so he sleeps the whole way. Would that be safe, and if so what would/could I give him?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by dhaney81; 11-15-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Elite Member

I would not sedate unless he really hates driving. I would just plan for breaks and stretching his legs. If he hasn't gotten car sick in 45 minutes I doubt he will. You could also just fast him that day or cut the food back but give plenty of water. I would not think this would be a big deal.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:52 AM

Lloyd does better on long trips. After about an hour, he figures out we aren't going to BassPro and falls asleep. I usually keep a bowl with water an some toys in the car for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:01 AM

I never put much thought into it and all of my dogs have always been on the road with me a bunch. I've never sedated (and wouldn't), as Karin said if he doesn't get sick on 45min drives then he should be fine. if you're planning on doing a straight shot in 1 days time - that would be about 3-4 potty & stretch stops for me... otherwise I think you'll find him sleeping most of the way. a bone to gnaw on never hurts tho

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Stop about every 3 hours at a rest stop. He should be fine. Be vigilant on I-95 as it is in very poor condition in SC and GA and there are many wrecks. Don't sedate!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

My advise. Get a Buddy Bowl for water, have your food and food dish along. Load the dog. Stop at rest stops and offer water and a toilet break. Feed at the time you usually feed.

So basically, load the dog and go.

I think the internet gives us the ability to overthink everything. I've moved with dogs long distance several times (8 as I just added them up). Even the dog that had once had reservations about car rides and the other dog of the pair who had never been on an overnight trip were real champs on the move from Arkansas to Oregon. To see them, you would have never guessed that this had never happened before.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:11 PM

We drive VT to FL with Rocky with no problems. We stop about every 2.5 to 3 hours for a break,not just for him but us. At the rest areas I never go to the "dog walk area" as I find them too dirty and nasty.I take our poop bag and head off in a different direction.Depending on the area we have stopped at, we'll head off to an area where I put a long line on him , and toss the ball for him.If you are in a parking lot, make sure there are no oil or anti freeze spills. Just getting out at your rest stop, make sure there are no anti freeze spills.Good luck and have fun!

Cindy ~ Mom to

Matey Lab 4/02- 9/22/14
Davit GSD 5/05
Dock GSD 7/10/03 - 7/31/12

Dock vom Kavallerie 11/3/12 (AKA Rocky)
Orwell vom Kavallerie 10/17/15 ( AKA Hemi)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 AM

I drove from CA to FL with my pup. She is 4 years old. I stopped about every 2 hours or so to take a break and let her pee. She was quite nervous the first hour, but after awhile she got use to it and she fell asleep with her toy. Like what everyone else said see how well he will do the first 45min - 1hr. If he is calm, then you should be fine to stop 3-4 hours for a small rest.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 AM
Banned

Don't feed in the hours leading up to or during the trip. If your dog is sick, bile is easier to deal with [take an old towel] than half-digested food AND bile.

Just put him in the place he has the most room and plan for breaks to give water/short walks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaney81 View Post
So I'm about 3 weeks out from moving from Virginia to Florida and I am trying think about ways to make my 14-16 hr drive easier on my 14 month old GSD. I've taken him on a good amount of short drives up to 30-45 mins and he does fine, but I'm worried that on a drive that long that he'll whine a bunch or even worse potentially get car sick and throw up everywhere. I had a friend recommend sedating him so he sleeps the whole way. Would that be safe, and if so what would/could I give him?

Any other advice would be appreciated!
I just drove from PA to KS this past summer with Seger. It was no big deal. If your dog does not get car sick now, he won't then. Or get some motion sickness meds from the vet if he currently gets carsick (Cerenia is what I used when Seger was a baby). If he whines, give him a chew when you get going to keep him busy in his crate. Roll the windows down a bit so he can smell, get air and look out. When I did the same trip with Jax, she whined for 3 hours all the way to the Ohio state line. Ugh.

Sedation will not work. It's short term.

Stop whenever you want to stop. I only got Seger out a couple of times. It was beastly hot out. High 90s-100s so it was better in the car.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training

Last edited by Jax08; 11-23-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page