Pros and Cons of ownership - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Pros and Cons of ownership

Hi everyone,

While I was out traveling I made a Pros and cons list of getting a German Shepherd in relation to my current situation.

Pros.

Constant companionshiop from one of the most loyal breeds.
Ranks in the top 10 for intelligent dog breeds.
Highly trainable. Might end training it for a Caine sport.
Very active. I want a pet I can do things with. Ex go jogging /biking with.
I have amp finicial means to support a dog for the long term.
I'm willing to commit 100 percent to taking care of the dog over its entire life.

Cons.
I've never owned any pet before.
Can be hard to handle for an inexperienced owner.
Hard to find landlords that allow them.
Prone to lots of health issues that can be expensive to fix.
Ideally need a large fenced yard to run and play in.
Recues might be more reluctant to let me adopt one due to lack of dog experience.
Prone to separation anxiety if I go out on a trip for work.
Rescue dogs might need training beyond what I can handle.

Anyways feedback would be good along with ways to work through the cons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

You've already got a thread in which many of us gave the biggest con of all in relation to your situation: you travel a lot for your job.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-possible.html

That, not your experience level, would be the biggest problem for some rescues, which may have a lot of experience with people in your very situation having to give up their dog.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Moving past my job would the lack of ownership experience be an issue for them as well? Or would they match me with an easy to handle dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 PM

they will match you with a dog of appropriate temperment and handling history to the best of their knowledge and for the breed. this may or most likely may not equate to "easy to handle".

I was a volunteer for the rescue and was given the opportunity (encouraged even) to adopt my first gsd from them. she was wild, crazy, energetic, large and had no or very prior obedience training. BUT she was very biddable, extremely hardy (translate forgiving), friendly and outgoing with no aggression issues towards people or animals.... therefore deemed appropriate for a first timer, not because she was easy by any means.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 11-14-2015 at 12:16 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
they will match you with a dog of appropriate temperment and handling history to the best of their knowledge and for the breed. this may or most likely may not equate to "easy to handle".

I was a volunteer for the rescue and was given the opportunity (encouraged even) to adopt my first gsd from them. she was wild, crazy, energetic, large and had no or very prior obedience training. BUT she was very biddable, extremely hardy (translate forgiving), friendly and outgoing with no aggression issues towards people or animals.... therefore deemed appropriate for a first timer, not because she was easy by any means.
I understand that this will be a very challenging endervor. And that this breed is not an easy one. Was she your first dog or first GSD?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 PM

my first gsd, first dog as an adult.....but I'd been around animals my entire life. you walk dogs for the rescue right - how do you feel about your basic handling and management of the dogs?

Last edited by Fodder; 11-14-2015 at 11:26 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
my first gsd, first dog as an adult.....but I'd been around animals my entire life. you walk dogs for the rescue right - how do you feel about your basic handling and management of the dogs?
The last time I walked a dog food someone I was a long time ago for a relative. I didn't have any imajor issues and it was a large black lab. I was a kid when I did this in doubt I'll have issues now that I'm older. I don't volunteer right now. Haven't in the past either. The only time I come into contact with animals is when I go to someone's house who has one. I would say my animal management skills are on par with the average novice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 AM

oh, I must be mistaking you with another poster. well if not volunteering - I suggest you find a gsd rescue and start working with them that way... gain some experience and see if it's even the right breed for you.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:13 AM
Crowned Member

Your Cons outweigh your Pros!

Believe me, a german shepherd puppy is no walk in the park, they are truly one of a kind! I am on my third, I do not work..my boy is just over a year, and he takes 90% of my waking day! So, if you travel for work, it may be best if you wait a few years. Volunteer at a rescue like the previous poster said, get used to the breed.

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:39 AM

Travel for work will be your biggest issue. You need to make sure you have a good 5/6 months at home before leaving the dog in care, and you will have to have a very trustworthy person lined up. Reading your full post I would go puppy rather than rescue. Much easier when you know the dog inside out. Also I would go show line rather than working line, look for a low drive dog. With those things in place, and if you want to love and raise a dog, you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page