what to do while at work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

what to do while at work?

Right now I work from 8-5 every week day (typical american job lol) and I live about 8 min from work so I've been letting wolf out to pee/eat around 12 then back in the cage till 5.

however, in about 4 months he will be over a year old, and I will be moving into a house with a nice fenced in backyard. The problem is the house is 20 min from work, and I won't be able to go home mid day to let him out.

I've read about runs and stuff but not sure if I want him to sit outside all day because some days are freezing cold and others bloody hot.

what are some good ideas for what to do with him while I am away at work? He has never been left alone outside of the crate, I fear he would eat stuff or chew on things he shouldn't. If I simply left him outside all day he would dig and dig haha.

any ideas?

also here's some pics of my little bud lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	329521  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:46 PM

The ideal set-up would be a dog run and doggy door to the inside in a safe room or large crate.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

Pay someone to come halfway through the day and exercise him. I won't leave a dog crated or confined during the day for more than five hours. If you do crate him, buy the largest one you can find so he has room to play. Better, if you have a room that you can furnish with only his dog toys and a bed so he can't get into trouble, do that. Maybe even your kitchen if you can dog proof the countertops or keep him away from anything, including cupboards he can open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

i like the idea of a doogy door, run, and paying someone to come by to see all is well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

I would begin to leave him out alone in the house a bit now - gradually increasing the time. (To see how that goes.) Then I would also consider continuing to crate him for the work day. I've done this with dogs when I worked. The youngster is still crated when I am gone and she's two. I'm not consistently gone for 8+ hours but I am gone for long stretches from time to time.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

these are good suggestions. A dog door would be good, i'm still worried about the digging.

Paying someone to come let him out would run btwn $200-$400 a month, and is not a financial option. I have a mortgage and many other expenses haha
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryankappel View Post
Paying someone to come let him out would run btwn $200-$400 a month, and is not a financial option. I have a mortgage and many other expenses haha
What about an outdoor kennel? You can get a nice one for around what it would cost for a month of dogsitting or maybe a bit more.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM

A doggy door that leads to a restricted indoor space would be great. Even if they are safe to roam in the house you never know what they will bring in from the outside if you are not there...mud being a big one. I do not want a wet dog coming straight from their doggy pool and shaking in my living room Mine have a doggy door to the garage that I have partitioned off so they can't get to the cars or things stored in a garage that could hurt them and that also gives them access to our enclosed back porch. Someday I would love to build out the laundry room in a way that they could use that but that is hopefully coming in the future. Good luck. I understand not wanting them to be in a crate all day.

DerSieger 2010 gsd
Safari 2015 gsd
Brady 2015 Border Collie
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:35 PM

I work the same schedule that you do, and have for most of my life, none of my dogs had had problems in their crate from 7:30 to 5:30, or loose in the house if they were older and could be trusted 100%. My current dog goes in her crate after she eats breakfast, lies down and waits for me to come give her a treat and close the door....

Cam
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:49 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We have a chain link pen in the garage with a dog door to an outside run for potties. The run is down the side of the house, with a wood fence opposite, and chain link gates at either end. Keeps them out of the main part of yard, where they'd dig up plants and eat dirt all day, and from where we keep the garbage, green waste, and recycle containers. They have Kuranda beds in the garage, and a water bowl.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page