over excited greeting to strangers - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 12
Question over excited greeting to strangers

My one year girl is from Czech working line. She has really high drive and we love that. We did a lot of obedience training with her and she is doing really well. The only thing that we have trouble with is to train her to greet guests and strangers appropriately. She get aroused easily when there are guests coming to our house-- wagging her tails crazy and making noises. We have to put her to the crate so our guests can come in. We tried different things but so far not much improvement. Any suggestions or useful training tips?
smby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 980
The standard response to the standard question - teach her the "place" command, and place her while guests are coming in until she's quiet. Then release her to say hello, get some initial excitement out of her, and back into place to calm down again.
yuriy is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 12
Thanks, you mentioned one thing that I didn't do, and I think that might be very critical. I've never released her after asking her down and stay. She pretty much break the stay every time after 10-20 secs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
The standard response to the standard question - teach her the "place" command, and place her while guests are coming in until she's quiet. Then release her to say hello, get some initial excitement out of her, and back into place to calm down again.
smby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Moderator
 
dogma13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: michigan
Posts: 5,785
Put her on a leash and enforce the stay.Stay calm and release when she's calm and holds the stay for a minute.The more you practice the easier it gets

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
dogma13 is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by smby View Post
Thanks, you mentioned one thing that I didn't do, and I think that might be very critical. I've never released her after asking her down and stay. She pretty much break the stay every time after 10-20 secs.
My turn.

Down and Stay are "similar" but not the same. I was kinda surprised that I "did not" see Michal Ellis teaching this??

Most likely you've been doing a variation of what I'd call the Cesar thing?? Where you kinda sorta have the dogs "approve" of guest first??

I found that approach worked like crap with my Boxer and American Band Dawg (people crazy) and was not approach an I was willing to take with my OS WL GSD and his "people issues."

So that said ... GSD tested and Boxer approved (if you have friends with Boxer's) and they aren't on BoxerForum you can test it out.

At any rate I think "Place" and "Sit on the Dog" will give you the "control" your missing.

Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD
Chip18 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 12
Thank you, Chip. I learned this technique from this column and being practice it for a little while. I do see some improvement but the over excited issue still remain unsolved. Maybe I should do it more often...

A follow up question-- is it normal that my girl always be happy and excited to see strangers/guests? I sometimes wish she can be a little bit more suspicious to the strangers. I don't necessary need her to be a guard/protection dog, but maybe she can be more watchful? Would this temperament change as she gets older. She is still a quite young dog right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
My turn.

Down and Stay are "similar" but not the same. I was kinda surprised that I "did not" see Michal Ellis teaching this??

Most likely you've been doing a variation of what I'd call the Cesar thing?? Where you kinda sorta have the dogs "approve" of guest first??

I found that approach worked like crap with my Boxer and American Band Dawg (people crazy) and was not approach an I was willing to take with my OS WL GSD and his "people issues."

So that said ... GSD tested and Boxer approved (if you have friends with Boxer's) and they aren't on BoxerForum you can test it out.

At any rate I think "Place" and "Sit on the Dog" will give you the "control" your missing.

Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD
smby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome