Side by side crates in SUV - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Side by side crates in SUV

Does anyone of you have these crates? http://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Side-Double-Plastic-Inches/product-reviews/B000ZLY0KU/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
I wonder if they are big enough for my GSD (60 lbs) and the other a Rough Collie.
If I win the lottery I will get the Variocage double but that is not an option now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Master Member

All it shows you is the home screen for Amazon....not the product.

Deanna

SG Isen Vom Kavallerie IPO2 AD BH CGCA CGCU TC (GSD)
Devka von der Felsenstadt (GSD)
Red CGC (GSD)
Gypsy BH CGCA (lab)

At the Bridge....Charlie and Shiloh
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

I'll respond a bit later. I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge... erhhh...taking on the debt.... and getting one of these. My Dutch is 65lb. I'm going to measure my Subaru Forester for one today and I'll share that info.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well the ones that are side by side for SUVs are normally 21" wide which is pretty narrow. I always would set a platform over the wheel wells when I had an SUV and sit my crates on top --so they could have more floor room. Gives you storage underneath as well. Of course you have to have the headroom. Platform easy enough to do - plywood and 2x4s takes a few hours.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM

I found that it's really important to measure your specific vehicle as it was hard to tell from the websites which crate fits which car and which dog.

I've got a Single XL which fits in my SUV, but there wouldn't be room for a double without compromising on the room for each dog. Our supplier also said that it's important to fit it behind the back seat and to not try it with the rear seats down, as that could endanger people in the front seats, so that limits the depth of the cage too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 23.00.25.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	329058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 23.01.23.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	329066  

Amanda
Elva GSD - 19 May 2015
Maxi and Mignon, the long-suffering rescue cats!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amshru View Post
I found that it's really important to measure your specific vehicle as it was hard to tell from the websites which crate fits which car and which dog.

I've got a Single XL which fits in my SUV, but there wouldn't be room for a double without compromising on the room for each dog. Our supplier also said that it's important to fit it behind the back seat and to not try it with the rear seats down, as that could endanger people in the front seats, so that limits the depth of the cage too.
Use tie-downs to secure the crate to the car and it won't be endangering anyone. I positioned my crate as far inwards (on top of folded rear seats) as possible to keep it away from the car's crumple zone. I'd do the same with the "crumple tested" Variocage, too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

OK, these are the ones I ordered today: https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Side-...+crate+midwest
They are the same inside width as the Vari Kennel she uses now. Deja is only 60 lbs

Last edited by wolfy dog; 11-10-2015 at 01:55 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
OK, these are the ones I ordered today: https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Side-...+crate+midwest
They are the same inside width as the Vari Kennel she uses now. Deja is only 60 lbs
I have these. (2010 Ford Escape) It's a comfortable fit for two of my dogs. My oldest female is the larger of three, (25")...she fits but I wouldn't want to take her on a long trip in there, she takes up the whole crate. Love the two doors, real handy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is EliteK9 that has on their websites custom crates/configurations for assorted vehicles. They are spendy but they will protect your dog much better than the wire cages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page