Migrating microchip - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Migrating microchip

I had my dog microchipped nine years ago. I ask to have it scanned at every check up. A few months ago, the vet could not find it. Last week, same thing, no chip found.

So beware. Your dog's microchip is not as secure as we are led to believe.

Anyone else have a lost microchip?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

run a magnet over the body, it may re-activate the chip....and be sure to scan down the legs, chest and neck area for possible migration.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:25 PM

Eboni's chip was put in above left shoulder at 10 months (per shelter vet records at time of spay ) When I took her to the vet after we got her ,she is 3 1/2 years now ,her chip is low on left shoulder now just above her elbow ,so apparently her chip is sliding down her .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
run a magnet over the body, it may re-activate the chip....and be sure to scan down the legs, chest and neck area for possible migration.
The vet scanned all her legs, neck, back, chest. Her entire body. I could try the magnet.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Karlo's chip didn't detect at our trial last weekend, luckily the judge allowed his tattoo to prove who he was...though I do know the chip has migrated down the shoulder, judge didn't want to waste time for me to find it. Tat was enough.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Elite Member

When I showed my male last year at 2 years old they had trouble finding it. It's migrated down to right about his front legs. I can feel it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Faith's chip also migrated to her shoulder. I don't know about Ledgie and Bruiser, the vet hasn't mentioned if their chips have migrated or not.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

I asked the question about migrating chips on a working dog FB page and they say it happens all the time and is 99% of the time no concern. My pups is in his lower shoulder area now.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 PM

My dog's chip has migrated down to the middle of his back...thank goodness the vet that did his prelims knew he had been chipped and the staff thought to double check to see if the chip was still readable....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 09:19 PM

Where is the standard injection site on dogs or is there one? Do vets and shelters know to check in different places?

My GSD is smarter than your honor student.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page