Help please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Help please

Have a question. Evetytime I give Max, our 7 week old puppy, something to redirect his biting onto, Scout comes right up and steals it from him. Do I let this continue or how do I curb this without Scout thinking I won't let him have anything. I will take it from Scout and then give him another toy but he wants the one I gave the puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 PM

intervene before he steals it and tell him no!! aside from that maybe I'm not sure of what you're asking? not wise to let it continue - will lead to further bullying and conflict between the two later.... besides, it's not fair to the puppy, defeats the lesson you're trying to teach him and the toys belong to you more so than either dog.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 11-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

I do intervene and tell him no or leave it in which he does for about 2 seconds and goes back for it the second I take my eye off him. He doesn't usually steal it and run. Away either. He takes it and lays right down nose to nose to with him like he wants to play. I just don't know if I let them figure out there own situation or if I intervene as I have been doing. I also don't want Scout to think I'm taking all his toys from him and just giving them to the pup. I'm thinking they will work it out hopefully but would like to refrain from future issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 PM

Does Scout know the leave it command?If so enforce it.If not,teach him.He will learn quickly that bullying is not allowed.Scout doesn't want the toy,he just doesn't want the puppy to have the toy

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 AM
Crowned Member

May I ask how old Scout is?

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Crowned Member

How about "put scout up"?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Does Scout know the leave it command?If so enforce it.If not,teach him.He will learn quickly that bullying is not allowed.Scout doesn't want the toy,he just doesn't want the puppy to have the toy

He does know it slightly when he wants too. It has been reinforced a lot more now and i think he is slowly getting it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
May I ask how old Scout is?
He will be 9 months old on Tuesday. He is still just a pup himself.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Puppy competition! Not a trained dog so you will have to work on this before you have a rivalry/ territory dispute. Give scout some loving time, play and food and or treats, then give the new puppy a toy to play with. This will help his ego and let him know he is first. Once he is attended to, do not let him take her toys and make sure there are plenty around. I think that if you give them the extra attention before treating the other pet they will chill out and be less territorial. I'm no expert but I have had very good dogs. Good luck!

My GSD is smarter than your honor student.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODINsFREKI View Post
Puppy competition! Not a trained dog so you will have to work on this before you have a rivalry/ territory dispute. Give scout some loving time, play and food and or treats, then give the new puppy a toy to play with. This will help his ego and let him know he is first. Once he is attended to, do not let him take her toys and make sure there are plenty around. I think that if you give them the extra attention before treating the other pet they will chill out and be less territorial. I'm no expert but I have had very good dogs. Good luck!
Thankyou. Yes, my mission is to not have Scout feel like he is being left out. They actually all get treats together, all three of them, with Dozer getting his first, Scout second, and Max third (with the exception of Max doing his business outside, he always gets one for that). Scout really does love him, but its that "whats mine is mine and whats yours is mine" mindset. There are tons of dog toys around constantly so they definitely have enough other options. If I let Scout have it and give the puppy a new one he just takes the new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page