Lengthening a 4ft fence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Smile Lengthening a 4ft fence

I want to get a German shepherd but I don't think I will be able to afford a new 6ft fence. I have an existing 4ft chain link fence. Do you think I could safely contain the dog if I put an additional 2 or 3 feet of hardware cloth and t-posts on top of the existing fence. I have never had a large dog before so I don't really know how high they can jump and climb. I currently have a beagle mutt rescue and he has never escaped before. I wanted to get a puppy from a breeder, but I'm worried about being rejected because of the fence. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Were you planning on leaving him in the yard unsupervised for long periods?Not a good idea!Gsds get bored and destructive,digging,chewing hoses and house siding,etc.IMO your money would be better spent on a six foot high welded wire kennel placed in your yard.I also wouldn't leave him alone with a smaller dog.Gsds play way too rough and in the event of a little squabble over some possession the beagle could be seriously hurt.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

This fence would not be for long periods of time. I just don't want to be in the kitchen Cooking and have the dog run out. And my current dog is larger than a traditional beagle. I have no clue what else he has In him. He stands at 2 and a half feet tall and weighs about 40 pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

It rather depends on your circumstance whether you will need a six foot fence or not. When I lived in town, I had the part facing the street (not but maybe 6 feet) and about 50 feet down each side done in 6 ft privacy fence. I had four foot chain link the rest of the way around the place. The only time the dogs left that yard was when someone left the gate open. When I lived on an acre outside of town (different state) I had very little 6 foot fencing. Most of it was four ft. The dogs knew that they went out on lead so although plenty capable, they never jumped the fence.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Okay!Sounds good.Another solution people have used for a fence topper is attach small diameter pvc pipe inside of larger pvc pipe( so it rolls).It's attached by rope or cable threaded through the small pipe to fence post extensions or tall t posts.Just another idea to consider

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 PM

My old house had a 4'chain fence also. My then Great Dane would jump it without hesitation. I added a 2' topper that leaned inward towards our yard it worked perfectly.

I didn't leave him out there for long periods, but i would open the back door on a cool day and give him free rain.

Google instruction videos on how to make them. You can buy a prefab type or make you own do it yourself.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:19 PM

We have a 4 ft chain link around our back yard and I have yet to have any problems from either side. Granted LJ is a homebody and likes to stay around us and we never leave him outside unattended for a while. We have also never had any problems with people bothering him from outside the perimeter. Everyone around here is very respectful of each other, plus we all have large dogs so I think they know not to push the boundaries
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Master Member

OP, I don't know your situation, but I'd kindly suggest that if there are financial limitations before get get a dog, then you're not in a position to get a dog. Large dogs come with large expenses, and you don't want to be in a situation of not being able to afford an emergency vet bill.

As it stands, a 4-ft chain link fence will be okay with 100% supervision. I wouldn't leave a dog there alone for even a minute. Being able to see through the fence will give your dog an opportunity to react to strangers outside, and will give foolish strangers an opportunity to reach over and attempt to pet the dog. Both scenarios can be a problem.

A solid, 6+ ft fence is the only way to go if the dog will be unsupervised for any length of time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
OP, I don't know your situation, but I'd kindly suggest that if there are financial limitations before get get a dog, then you're not in a position to get a dog. Large dogs come with large expenses, and you don't want to be in a situation of not being able to afford an emergency vet bill.

A solid, 6+ ft fence is the only way to go if the dog will be unsupervised for any length of time.
I would like to strongly 2nd both of these points.

I think if you have a bored and/or determined dog, a 4ft fence wont offer much resistance. If he wants to get out, he will find a way.

In addition, any chain link fence doesnt offer as much resistance as you would expect. I learned this the hard way. McCoy figured out pretty quick that he was strong enough to push the bottom of the fence out enough for him to scurry out. I had to reinforce the bottom of the fence with rebar. This in addition to forcing into his head that he isnt allowed to touch the fence at all. This all took time to figure out and teach.

Extending your current fence, training him that touching the fence is bad, and limiting his bored/alone time outside will limit his opportunities to bolt. Its not 100% and every dog is different.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Knighted Member

As stated abone. I would check the bottom of the fence and if it isn't already done, weave a cable through the bottom. Pull it tight so the dogs can't push the bottom out. As far as 4 foot fence being high enough. You will have time to add or extend the height. An 8 week old pup won't be able to jump a 4 foot fence. My dog is 6 months old and while I doubt he would be able to jump a 4 foot fence it wouldn't be long. My fence is 54" and I'm confident it will be fine. My opinion with any chain link is that just because your dog can't jump 54" or higher, a dog that wants out bad enough will just climb the fence and get out. Supervision is key. It took my dog about a week and a half of watching us push the latch on the gate to figure out how it works. Sometimes I think gsd's are too smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page