male vs female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

male vs female

Hi, new member here, sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, I have made the decision to add a german shepherd to my home, I have done all of my research etc and will be going for a puppy rather than rescue this time - I currently have a labrador who will be 5 years old by the time I get the puppy - she has been spayed, so I am now trying to decide on which sex would be best male or female, I had assumed a male would be best with already having a female but hearing and reading all sorts of conflicting information regarding male and female - has anyone got any advice on the differences between male and female and which would be best suited considering I already have a female
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Knighted Member

Get a male. I have seen and heard of too many same-sex aggression issues with two females. Although it does work in many cases, when it doesn't work it REALLY doesn't work.
Sheilah
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Over the years I've had male/female; female/male; female/female; female/female; female/female/male; female/female; female/male; female/female. All was fine. You might have a problem if you were introducing an adult of the same sex but puppies introduced to an older dog of the same sex (as far as females go anyway) seem to do fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:59 PM

There's more risk adding another female. They may be fine forever or for some time ..even years and then same-sex aggression is suddenly an issue. The safer bet is male.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
Get a male. I have seen and heard of too many same-sex aggression issues with two females. Although it does work in many cases, when it doesn't work it REALLY doesn't work.
Sheilah
Yep....this ^^^
Moms
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Male for the reason mentioned. Also, with a male - he may give her protection comfort when she gets older as she is 5 years
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

For us, males have always been easier. I would never have two females together unless I was sure they would get along. How does your Lab react to other female dogs?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Knighted Member

Get a male! Dynamics will work out much easier in the future!

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:36 PM

I would go for a male. I have 2 females who don't get along at all. I have to keep a door between them at all times just in case. My males all get along with eah other and with my two females
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Generalizations and stereotypes aside, no difference between males and females. But since you already have a female dog in the house, I'd say definitely go with a male.

Just because some people have female/female dynamics that work well doesn't mean that is always the case.

Butters - 10/11/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page