Is it possible - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Is it possible

Hi everyone ,

I've been giving it a thought and have strongly been considering getting a GSD in the nearish future. I've done a lot of research on the breed but have one lifestyle issue I was looking to see if anyone has a practical solution for. My big concern is my job's travel requirement. I can be sent anywhere in a moments notice. This doesn't happen often but I do travel regularly on planned trips for anywhere from 1 day to 5. I was thinking of adopting an adult since raising a puppy would be too time intensive given the unpredictable nature of my job.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtraveler View Post
Hi everyone ,

I've been giving it a thought and have strongly been considering getting a GSD in the nearish future. I've done a lot of research on the breed but have one lifestyle issue I was looking to see if anyone has a practical solution for. My big concern is my job's travel requirement. I can be sent anywhere in a moments notice. This doesn't happen often but I do travel regularly on planned trips for anywhere from 1 day to 5. I was thinking of adopting an adult since raising a puppy would be too time intensive given the unpredictable nature of my job.

Thanks in advance
Whats your plan for the dog when you leave on a trip? Are you the only one in the household?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Boarding the dig would be an option but wouldn't that be streasfull on him? Would hiring a dog walker to come by a few times a day while I'm gone be better? My othelr concern is how all this would effect the adjustment period after coming from the resecue? Lots of questions that are not in a book or online FAQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 AM

Unless you have a top knotch boarding facility or really really good friends to walk you dog, if you travel often...I'd suggest a cat instead.

If you get a GSD that has a large work drive, it won't be happy just being visited by a dog walker a few times a day.
Rescue dogs tend to have more separation anxiety. Leaving your buddy at boarding facilities can be tough for them.
It might be a good idea to wait and rescue your GSD when you life is more settled.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

GSD's bond very strongly to their owners so seeing you leave constantly would be a strain on them. I'd wait until you're more stable in your routine personally before considering a dog, especially a GSD

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

How often do you actually travel? How often are the unplanned trips? Like once a month? 2x a year?

I don't think it's undoable. People travel. But if you are gone a few weeks out of a month. I agree a cat would be a better option. But if it's like a couple weeks out of a year and maybe 1-2 unplanned trips a year. Then I don't see that as a problem.

But I would ask you job for a break from trips for a month or two to settle the dog and find a good support system and/kennel and/pet sitter. I would hate for you to get a job and then the next day have to travel. That would not be fair.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Is it just you in your household? My husband is an airline pilot, he travels regularly and is gone for 3-6 days at a time. I am home with Brando, but he still gets mopey when daddy puts on the uniform and leaves. I have a friend who is also a pilot and she leaves her golden with her parents when she is gone. The dog is well cared for and loved and secure knowing these are her "other people." If you don't have anyone that close to care for a dog when you are gone I think you should wait to get one until you don't travel as much, it is hard on them. It would be hard on you to leave him, too.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

I would wait. Let work settle down.

In rescue, we had a great adopter whose job suddenly went from a normal 9-5 to having to travel 5 out of 7 days a week. The dog lived in boarding more than at home. It was great, high-end, fancy, vet-supervised boarding, but...still boarding. In the dog's mind, the boarding place became "home." The dog was a young one, too. When we got him back, he was a wild-child with no manners, since he had not been in a real home enough recently to understand or remember boundaries. We had to start over with him, before we could rehome him.

All the love, money, and good intentions in the world won't make up for you not having time to spend with the dog.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtraveler View Post
Boarding the dig would be an option but wouldn't that be streasfull on him? Would hiring a dog walker to come by a few times a day while I'm gone be better? My othelr concern is how all this would effect the adjustment period after coming from the resecue? Lots of questions that are not in a book or online FAQ.
No, I wouldn't recommend you get a dog at this point.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

As of right now its just me. I think that is going to be a big issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page