Favorite thing to chew - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Favorite thing to chew

I give my dog the braided bully sticks and she goes through it pretty quick if she's interested that day. Otherwise I seem to have trouble finding something she likes that will last. I bought a xtra large raw hide bone which I was hoping she would just naw at but she ignores it. I was looking at the deer antlers but they are expensive and I hear stories about them splintering? A meaty beef bone seems to work okay but a bit messy. Any suggestions on chews? I am not interested in giving her peanut butter in a kong btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Frozen marrow bones. They are my dogs absolute favorite and pretty cheap really. They do get messy but if you can get her used to chewing it on her bed or a sheet, it'll definitely help. Knuckle bones are good also.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:28 PM

Honestly though, there's not much out there that my dog doesn't crush real quick or that he might lose interest in. 30-45 mins of chewing at best. I wouldn't expect much more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 AM

all antlers aren't created equal... there are deer, moose, elk, etc and depending on what season they're collected - this has a bearing on grade. cheap antlers will likely splinter because they're older and more brittle. but I agree... they're quite expensive for how quickly my dogs go they them.

I give marrow bones but they can cause diarrhea in some dogs initially so I would only allow them to chew a bit at a time. I think it's the rich marrow because I don't have the same problem with other types of raw bones, knuckle, etc.

if you're comfortable with nylabone type products, my dogs don't like that brand but there is a similar type called benebone - and they're all the rage in my house right now. Keys chews it obsessively and they last about 3-4wks.

Product | Benebone Nylon Wishbone Chew

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page