Opinions on WD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on WD

What are everyone's opinions on wolf dogs? I don't plan on getting one, but I just love them. I love the whole wolf family in general lol. I wanted to see the thoughts of experienced dog owners on the topic. Some say they are skittish and shy, others say they had one and it was the best dog ever.
Have you had any experience with a WD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch
Many, not all of course, think they have WD when they actually don't. It's all to often used as a marketing ploy BYBs use to sell dogs. On a few FB groups I'm in, I've seen countless people try to pass off their pups as such and in reality they look like cute little husky/GSD/mal/etc mixes.

Not that WDs aren't out there, of course they are out there. The ones I have met have not made good pets to have. They require a very experienced person and someone who can manage having them. Not many people are capable of such.

My opinion is strong about WDs so I'll only say that I would not own or recommend anyone owning one for pet purposes. But, to each their own, I know there are people out there who can handle it.

~Johanna~

Baily ~ GSD x ~ (Jan 2001 - Jan 2016)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy ~ Schnauzer X Jack Russell ~ 11yrs
Merlin ~ Solid Black Cat DOB 4/5/2015 <Super Stalker Ninja Kitty>
Carrot ~ Solid Black Cat DOB (est) 7/15/2015
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post
Many, not all of course, think they have WD when they actually don't. It's all to often used as a marketing ploy BYBs use to sell dogs. On a few FB groups I'm in, I've seen countless people try to pass off their pups as such and in reality they look like cute little husky/GSD/mal/etc mixes.

Not that WDs aren't out there, of course they are out there. The ones I have met have not made good pets to have. They require a very experienced person and someone who can manage having them. Not many people are capable of such.

My opinion is strong about WDs so I'll only say that I would not own or recommend anyone owning one for pet purposes. But, to each their own, I know there are people out there who can handle it.
I thought they were pretty common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post

Not that WDs aren't out there, of course they are out there.....They require a very experienced person and someone who can manage having them. Not many people are capable of such.....to each their own, I know there are people out there who can handle it.
Since my first one in the late 1970's I have had a number of them, until my last one died in 2006. Mine were all (verifiably) wolf/GSD crosses, which makes a more biddable animal than wolf/husky or wolf/malamute. And all but 2 were no higher than 50%. I dearly loved each and every one and wouldn't have traded one second of their lives for a million dollars. That being said, I agree 100% with the statements GSDolch made above. It takes a person who can handle a large, potentially aggressive animal, who can completely provide the total pack relationship they require, a person who can sacrifice traveling vacations, an immaculately clean home, friends who would be too intimidated to visit your home, etc. etc. For me it was worth it. For most people, no.

Susan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquan View Post
I thought they were pretty common.

It's become more popular for BYBs to use the term to sell their mixed breeds for more money, or pander to the "I wanna be one with nature" crowd.

It could be location based also. Each state/area has different laws regarding owning them and in some they are legal to breed/sell/etc without having to have permits or special set ups. While it other places they are illegal without having a permit.

Around here I don't believe 90% of the people who say they have one. The ones they suspect they might have a WD tend to not say anything. They just do their thing and go on. They are actually illegal in Knoxville and can be taken away by TWRA and would be put down, so those who are in the know don't say.

~Johanna~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Since my first one in the late 1970's I have had a number of them, until my last one died in 2006. Mine were all (verifiably) wolf/GSD crosses, which makes a more biddable animal than wolf/husky or wolf/malamute. And all but 2 were no higher than 50%. I dearly loved each and every one and wouldn't have traded one second of their lives for a million dollars. That being said, I agree 100% with the statements GSDolch made above. It takes a person who can handle a large, potentially aggressive animal, who can completely provide the total pack relationship they require, a person who can sacrifice traveling vacations, an immaculately clean home, friends who would be too intimidated to visit your home, etc. etc. For me it was worth it. For most people, no.

Susan

The few I have met, have been so beautiful and one gal was actually kinda sweet (it was only a brief meeting so take it with a grain of salt lol).

Once upon a time I thought about getting the permits and even opening up my own Sanctuary, but in reality my life just isn't suited for such. So, I help where and when I can with sanctuaries/rescues. Although it's been some years since I have. Life and all that lol.

~Johanna~

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Most "ave" pet people can't even handle a "Dog" much less a WD! Those that can have my respect!

Those that can't ... have stuff like this happen:
Powerful Dogs Maul Woman, Kill Her / S.F. neighbors&#039; pets lunged down hallway - SFGate

Not saying WD's would do something like that! Just saying "Fools" should not own WD'S or "any" powerful breed. Goldfish are more than some folks can handle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Most "ave" pet people can't even handle a "Dog" much less a WD! Those that can have my respect!

Those that can't ... have stuff like this happen:
Powerful Dogs Maul Woman, Kill Her / S.F. neighbors' pets lunged down hallway - SFGate

Not saying WD's would do something like that! Just saying "Fools" should not own WD'S or "any" powerful breed. Goldfish are more than some folks can handle.
Well said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page