Has your dog ever burnt you out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Has your dog ever burnt you out?

How did you get through it if so? My thread stems from the constant input the breed needs and the exercise.

My walks are getting mundane because I don't have a car; luckily I live in town though....she gets enough out of the different routes through the town because of other dogs scents, cats living around the place etc. etc.

I find that the training is more a task than an enjoyment? If I only want to have my dog with basic obedience then what other ways should I mentally stimulate her?

I already place treats around the house and let her sniff them out but she knows all the places I can find now. I can wear her out with the tennis ball playing around for a few mins but that's getting boring for me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:19 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

How about teaching her to find different things? Hide your cell phone, pair with a treat and a word. Or use her toys, and teach her their names. Get a book on trick training and get her doing fun and complicated tricks.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:34 PM

2 things helped me, a flirt pole and urban agility....

my little dude would wear me out some days the first 6 months or so that I had him. since I average 8-10 miles of walking per day at work, I'd come home and because I have 2, would take them out seperately... so yeah, lots and lots of walking. I was so over it! we'd go on a hike if it was nice out otherwise I used the streets around me. I started off by having him perform his OB commands on every bench, wall, post, etc I could find.... had him jump on and over and under anything around us that fit the part. it takes some creativity but there's lots of things at your exposure I'm sure. unused play structures or tennis courts are always a score too

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 10-26-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Banned

When you say that you only want a dog with basic obedience, and you find training more of a task then enjoyment that is a worry to me.

I think that almost anything to expand your/her horizons is going to take training....even a new game takes training.

Is your not having transportation limiting what you envisioned doing with her? I'm in the same situation and it is limiting.

What types of things do you like to do that you would like her to be a part of? Sports, hikes anything that interests you that is an outdoor activity? Some form of any of those could probably be modified in a way that could become something you and your pup can enjoy.

There is an expansion on the "hide and find" that a trainer suggested to me here a while back and I'm going to use it in the neighborhood now that the tourists and commotion is all gone. That is to gather a dozen or so sticks or scrap pieces of wood and "scent" them with oil and hide them around the neighborhood. To let her "find" them and get lots of praise - I have an old pack that I'll put them in to plant again another day in different areas. I have some old Jasmine scented oil so I'll probably use that
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:54 PM

Urban agility is such a great idea! Definitely going to try that!!

~ Babyawn Bruno Zen (Tchaikovsky) 01/09/2014
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 AM

Music! When I take my dog for long walks I often put on music. When we go into our training room I put on music. If I am tired and don't feel like tossing the ball around, I remind myself that "I Get to do This, not Have to do This" and than realize that it is just tiredness sapping the fun out of our game.

By the way, when I listen to music during our walks I do not use headphone but my phone's speaker. I want to be able to hear who and what else is around me.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Has Your dog ever worn you out?
Yes every day

He also makes me excersise everyday, makes me play so keeps me young at heart, makes me laugh when I'm sad.

Being worn out I go to bed early so he gets me to have my healthy 8 hour sleep.!

All around Its all good
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

Yes and then some but i do enjoy it but sometimes need a break. I have to make sure we do some exciting outing that knocks him out. I take max to the park for a 2 hour walk/run through trails. I do things with him that i enjoy. Sure he took a 20 minute nap after but was ready for more. Loves playing chasing the ball and i have to put his toys away or he will torment us with putting wet slimy balls in our lap. Saturday morning he woke me up putting his kong frisbee in my face We switch it up beach, park-not dog park,walks in the neighborhood, training class, training practice at home and out, kids love playing hide n seek, we hide different things in house now -phones,going to get supplies at the pet store i bring him along. My daughter loves doing agility with our chihuahua so we bought some more equipment for her bday and also practice with max nothing formal but he loves it. Knocks me out more then him though. Its good to change things around. Look up whAt kind of events you have in your area. Sometimes they have dog walkathons to raise money for a good cause. This weekend we went to our local dog rescue adoption shelter they had a pet halloween contest. Its good to do different things so know one gets bored.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Elite Member

I know what you're talking about when you say walks are getting mundane. I've written about my experiences all over this forum. We would go for 2-3 hour walks and cover multiple miles at a brisk pace (No joke! I would come home drenched in sweat from just walking). Over time, they got very boring for me, and when I got home, the dogs would act like they didn't expend any energy. Once they were old enough to run, I would run with them which helped things, but my Siberian was just too fast for me to keep up with him. That's when I discovered "dog powered sports" also known as urban mushing: bikejoring, dog scootering, carting, skijoring, and plenty more. I already had a mountain bike, so I just needed the appropriate dog gear similar to what sled dogs wear and use. It cost me maybe $150 total for everything I needed for 3 dogs. Then I learned the commands to stop, go, and turn left and right, and the leave it command (WHOA, HIKE, HAW, GEE, ON BY). It took each dog less than 5 minutes to learn these commands. Now I bikejor or dog scooter for 5+ miles (14 miles is our record to date), 6 days a week, and it takes us about 45-60 minutes (depending on # of bathroom breaks). It's an amazing change that saves me time, and wears the dogs down much faster, plus they're learning and being reinforced on obedience commands constantly during each run, so there is both physical AND mental stimulation. They get to "run free" at their own pace, and they're pulling around 367lbs such long distances to help build muscle and burn fat. It's fun for me to get that sled dog experience when there isn't any snow on the ground too!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 AM

I find that walking in new places burns him out.
Letting him sniff the ground in new places burns him out.
Making him track treats in the yard is something he really likes to do. We started in the house but it was getting way too easy.

Making him work mentally is what I find tires him out the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page