Tell me about your first GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Tell me about your first GSD

Hey all. Getting a GSD for the first time(THAT I HAD LEGAL OWNERSHIP OF). I thought I would amuse myself with some of your past experiences. When was your first gsd? Which was your BEST GSD? I really am curious how you guys were brought up into the world of k9s.
Thanks For Sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Also, if your first dog wasnt a GSD, then still tell me about it
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 PM

My first GSD experience was when we rescued 3 littermates when they were at 6 months of age. It was intense, and none of us would do multiple GSD pups at the same time again -especially siblings, but it was an unforgettable experience. They lived until 12+ years of age, I'll never forget them

ETA: the rest is history! Been addicted ever since.

~ Babyawn Bruno Zen (Tchaikovsky) 01/09/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Banned

My background was Bully breeds 10 years with American Band Dawgs (BullMastiff/APBT/Lab), Boxer/APBT and Boxer's didn't mean crap or not enough when I got my first WL OS GSD or at least not enough. Just a big furry dog with a for me "funny face."

It worked out in the long run just fine.

Rest of the story is here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-dog-do-2.html

Welcome aboard.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

My first GSD was Riley. My heart dog, my soulmate dog, he was amazing and I miss him so very much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Banned

My first GSD was not mine at all. I was 5 and he belonged to my Dad's army buddy. My parents spent many days over at this friends house out on their covered patio BBQ, beer and war stories and my play companion was this huge GSD.

I was mesmerized by him. He was aloof and a very stoic soul. I'm quite sure he was bored to tears but he hung out in the lower yard with me. We dug holes and hunted bugs and I put leaves in his collar to dress him up. I didn't know he was just "guarding the little one" until one day some guy was running up their alley and jumped on the back fence and made it about half way over. I think someone was chasing him and he had planned to hop over a fence to hide - wrong move - my dad and his friend had to "detach" Smoke's jaws from the mans rear.

Anyway, I spent so many days with that dog. Told him all my deep and burdensome 5 year old problems - he was a good listener
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Master Member

Well, I guess there's really not much to say about my very first GSDs...sometime in the early 70's, Daddy came home from a fishing trip with two puppies he'd found abandoned in the river bottoms. Whole family fell in love with them, and they died from distemper after $100 worth of vet bills. Um, those were 1970 dollars, by the way, roughly equivalent to $600 today.

Fast forward a few decades, and in April of 2012, due to a broken washing machine, I went to a local Laundromat with dirty clothes. I came home with clean clothes and a half dead GSD puppy. Quite frankly, neither I nor my vet thought she would even survive the weekend, and if she did, she was being turned over to a rescue group, because I already had two dogs, and didn't really want a third. Um, yeah...

2015-7-5 Dogs & morning glories DSC_0585 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Best guess on her lines is "WGSL by way of a BYB". Not the brightest bulb on the tree, and stupid friendly, but I love her.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 AM
Elite Member

I was 4 when we got Cubby. She was that once in a lifetime dog. She lived to be 14. Woke up one day to my dad carrying her in. She was a great dog. She was our backstop playing street hockey and protected us a few times from loose dogs.
Then I had a mitt who was stolen from my backyard when I lived in Vegas. Moved back to NY and got a boxer. He was smart but a typical clown boxer. He was a good dog.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai View Post
My first GSD experience was when we rescued 3 littermates when they were at 6 months of age. It was intense, and none of us would do multiple GSD pups at the same time again -especially siblings, but it was an unforgettable experience. They lived until 12+ years of age, I'll never forget them

ETA: the rest is history! Been addicted ever since.
Wow! You bought three as your first GSD? Bravery my friend..Lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
Well, I guess there's really not much to say about my very first GSDs...sometime in the early 70's, Daddy came home from a fishing trip with two puppies he'd found abandoned in the river bottoms. Whole family fell in love with them, and they died from distemper after $100 worth of vet bills. Um, those were 1970 dollars, by the way, roughly equivalent to $600 today.

Fast forward a few decades, and in April of 2012, due to a broken washing machine, I went to a local Laundromat with dirty clothes. I came home with clean clothes and a half dead GSD puppy. Quite frankly, neither I nor my vet thought she would even survive the weekend, and if she did, she was being turned over to a rescue group, because I already had two dogs, and didn't really want a third. Um, yeah...

2015-7-5 Dogs & morning glories DSC_0585 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Best guess on her lines is "WGSL by way of a BYB". Not the brightest bulb on the tree, and stupid friendly, but I love her.
Touching story. What destiny your machine broke down the same time the pup was there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page