Thoughts on Mixing German And American Lines? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on Mixing German And American Lines?

So, Ive been looking for a breeder for quite some time now. Ive noticed some of them mix German and american lines, or German and Czech lines. Do these dogs come out with unstable temperament? very few breeders from what Ii have heard of have accomplished this successfully. Also, some breed SHOW and WORK together, thoughts on that too?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Ha! Raquan - you are following in my footsteps. I think that I innocently managed to post every hot button topic that exists in the past and you are finding them all

Good luck with this one!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Ha! Raquan - you are following in my footsteps. I think that I innocently managed to post every hot button topic that exists in the past and you are finding them all

Good luck with this one!
Lol thanks. Im cowering behind a rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 PM

while some frown on it, I myself, had an american show line x an east german PP trained male also used in the fidelco program, he was the best dog ever..I should have cloned him.

I have no objection to mixing lines, but then again I'm not a breeder and when I get a new dog, I know where to go and what I'm getting, which is normally working lines

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

The reasoning behind it is to pull the best qualities from each line. It depends on how well the breeders knows the lines being bred and the persons expertise with genetics. Breeding well is very complicated. Since you are looking for a pet, you might want to find a breeder who is repeating a breeding with the same parents. Find out how the dogs from the previous litter turned out. While I'm not a fan of American lines, I know someone who had a cross like that and the dog was astounding. Very strong worker, intelligent and excellent temperament. Father was WGSL, Mother was American.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Master Member

I can't speak to the technical details, but I had an American showline x WGSL and she was a great dog.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
while some frown on it, I myself, had an american show line x an east german PP trained male also used in the fidelco program, he was the best dog ever..I should have cloned him.

I have no objection to mixing lines, but then again I'm not a breeder and when I get a new dog, I know where to go and what I'm getting, which is normally working lines
What was his temprement, what side did it lean towards?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
The reasoning behind it is to pull the best qualities from each line. It depends on how well the breeders knows the lines being bred and the persons expertise with genetics. Breeding well is very complicated. Since you are looking for a pet, you might want to find a breeder who is repeating a breeding with the same parents. Find out how the dogs from the previous litter turned out. While I'm not a fan of American lines, I know someone who had a cross like that and the dog was astounding. Very strong worker, intelligent and excellent temperament. Father was WGSL, Mother was American.
Some told me it was an unstable temperament. Like breeding a show with a work.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

It's generally not something successful breeders do. Meaning breeders who compete successfully with their dogs in the respective venues, be it IPO, SV conformation, AKC conformation and so on.

If the experienced and knowledgeable breeders aren't doing this there's a good reason.

Again because of the way genetics works. Remember that highschool biology?

You may end up with a decent dog but you also may end up with worst traits of both or a so-so dog that won't excel at any discipline.

It's not a 'hot topic' it's basic genetic science.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Just remember, there's no such a thing as a genetic smoothie! LOL!

(and for the literalists out there, it's about stacking the odds for greater potential and positive outcome. This is why some of the experienced breeders on this forum are walking pedigree encyclopedias! )

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 10-26-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page