Working line Gsd as family pet?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Working line Gsd as family pet??

Can it be done?. As most if you know I am researching whether my next dog should be a Gsd or Boxer. (bare in mind I'm in the Uk) Several people have recommended to me to look at 'show line gsd' but during the course of my research I have noticed the show dogs exhibited at crufts have prominent sloping backs and a distinctly lower rear end. This (in the long term at least) does not look healthy to me. So I ask,can a Wlgsd given correct training and exercise be a loving family pet and get along with children and other animals?.
Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this.
Kind regards, Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:26 AM

yes they can. We have a few working line dogs in our club and one is a family dog with a golden and a rescue GSD and the occasional foster dog, and a Mom and her son. Great dog.

When you talk to a breeder let them know that you want a family dog. They can be a very valuable help choosing the pup that has the right temperament.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

For a pet I would look to lines known for biddability and genetic obedience. Some working lines are highly independent and, while they may have great working drives and be great working partners can be a little more aloof than you may like, even with the family and a lot more active than you may want as well. But WL dogs vary a lot in this regard.

My current dog's idea of cuddling with me is incessantly trying to initiate play. The idea of laying at my feet by the fireplace does not register. ........ but I got him for work. Find a good breeder and give them a realistic view of your future dog's day / weekends so they can help make the best selection. A good breeder will help you find what you need even if they can't provide it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

I got mine as a rescue--the best move I ever made. I can not say enough good things about him. He can take or leave other people(except kids, he loves all kds), but loves his family and friends of the family. I don't think I could get his temperament ever again, but it would be my goal. He loves being by me, has a super high ball drive, and higher prey drive. It took me a while to understand the difference between him and my female. Now I see it even more between him, the female, and the younger male. He is a special dog. It blows my mind that he was dumped at a shelter, sat there for a couple months and was close to being put to sleep. I just wish the fools that gave him up because he was mouthing the kids could see him now. Their loss and definitely my gain

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Master Member

oh yes!!!

My female, BH, IPO3, FH, AD, SG and .... couch potato

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Master Member

Lobo Is our family pet, lives with 6 people (4 kids). If we had wanted a lower key dog than we would have chosen a different puppy from his litter, but we wanted a higher energy dog to go on hikes and be my jogging partner and Lobo is great for that. I do wish he was more biddable because he is a very independant creature which makes training more of a process. It is definitely possible to find a WL who will make a great family companion

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
—Ann Landers
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

Absolutely, find a good breeder and be honest with your plans. Hopefully they'll have a match for you

Delgado is a fantastic dog, my first GSD and it's been a real learning curve but he's been a joy to have and train. Smart as a whip and he keeps me laughing constantly

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Absolutely, find a good breeder and be honest with your plans. Hopefully they'll have a match for you

Delgado is a fantastic dog, my first GSD and it's been a real learning curve but he's been a joy to have and train. Smart as a whip and he keeps me laughing constantly

What Shanna said, replace Delgado with Hans, LOL.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Knighted Member

I have had several WL GSDs, the current two are both rescues, a male and a female. Maybe it's just the males-bonding-with-female (human) and females-bonding-with-male (human) thing, they were all good companions, but the males seemed more affectionate, more of a velcro dog. My current male has taken on the job of unofficial service dog, helping me with my sister, for whom I am a caregiver. Not long ago he absolutely saved her from what could have been severe injury, and a number of other times he has prevented potential injuries. And, yes, he is high drive, goes mad outdoors, and occasionally gets the "zoomies" in the house. But he is a good, good dog. My female is also a good dog, but not as attentive where my sister is concerned. But definitely has her affectionate side.

Susan
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Master Member

Absolutely! Just be honest with the type of drive you need and can handle. I have a DDR/Czech intact male (20 months) who I do IPO with. He lives in a home with two other dogs (sometimes three) and a 10 year old boy. Very stable in temperament and has had a good foundation training since he came home at 8 weeks. Providing you're able to properly exercise the dog both physically and mentally, a working line can thrive in an active companion home. There are some great breeders who sometimes produce companion homes pups! Some pictures of my guy with my other dogs, "his" boy, and out in public with children.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0610141735.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	326122   Click image for larger version

Name:	10374021_10205531653187508_4141902986360751036_n.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	326130   Click image for larger version

Name:	11009107_10205440117179165_7594990319648875359_n.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	326138  

Deanna

SG Isen Vom Kavallerie IPO2 AD BH CGCA CGCU TC (GSD)
Devka von der Felsenstadt (GSD)
Red CGC (GSD)
Gypsy BH CGCA (lab)

At the Bridge....Charlie and Shiloh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page