He won't eat until he knows I am seated - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Question He won't eat until he knows I am seated

Hi everyone,
So we adopted Shadow when he was 4 months old. He is now 1 year old. He is just an amazing dog.
Ever since Shadow has been with us he has a particularity towards food. He is not food motivated AT all, but a very high ball drive so all training is done with toys. The first week we got him when we would put his food down and said ''OK'' he would follow us, go back take a mouthful come drop it in front of me and then go eat his food. That was somewhat strange and never knew why he'd do this. He stopped doing that but when given the OK to eat he continues to follow me and will not eat unless he knows that I am seated and there to stay. If I am busy and won't sit for the next couple of hours he just lays on his bed and doesn't eat. Don't get me wrong this isn't a problem for me I rather him do that then be obsessed by food. I am just curious to see if anyone has any insight on why he might be is doing this.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Sorry

Sorry this was posted in general information, not only this is my first time on this forum but it's my first time ever on A, forum.
I am trying to find my way around and it ain't easy!confused:

Gotta start somwhere

Thanks for your understanding.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!I have no idea why he won't eat unless you are seated,maybe someone else will

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

My oldest female won't eat unless I'm sitting down. (she's 8) I "think" it's because when she was a puppy if I fed her and started to walk away she'd follow me instead of eating, so I sat down while she ate. I'd sit and say "eat...go eat"...or something similar I'm sure. It wasn't intentional but I do think it's a behavior she picked up because of me. If there's food in her bowl and I sit, that's apparently her signal to eat. If I'm not home and my husband feeds her she doesn't care what he's doing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Hi Kshadow,

I adopted Wolfgang as a 2 year old. He was underfed and a bit traumatized from having been dumped at the Humane Society due to his family having lost their home to foreclosure. The foster mom who took him from the Humane Society was a professional GSD trainer and hypothesized that Wolfgang was a grazing eater because he just picked at his food. He exhibited the same traits as Shadow when I got him home. He would grab a mouthful of food, follow me and drop it on the ground in the room I was in and eat it there. Rinse and Repeat. Gradually I found food he liked more and he more naturally wolfed down his food. The follow and drop eating behavior became sporadic over time as we bonded and he became sure of the permanence of his home. Shadow's behavior may well change over time just like Wolfgang's. Shadow sounds marvelous. Enjoy!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Banned

My dog won't eat or sleep if I'm moving. She's just a velcro dog. She is so afraid she's going to miss something interesting if she isn't paying attention. She does not have separation issues when I leave the house. She just does not want to miss anything I'm doing. I draw the line at the bathroom but she parks herself right outside and waits.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

At least two of my dogs have wanted company for dinner. It's kinda amusing but it's their preference. At least two others have scarfed the food down at any opportunity - Timmy could be in the well, either of these two would have eaten first.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Thanks for your insights. He is a Velcro dog indeed. Just uncrossing my legs makes him get up ready to do something!
He is always starring at me, makes me feel so special. lol
I guess that's why we named him Shadow.

Thanks for the understanding and warm welcome on this forum.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msklein View Post
Hi Kshadow,

I adopted Wolfgang as a 2 year old. He was underfed and a bit traumatized from having been dumped at the Humane Society due to his family having lost their home to foreclosure. The foster mom who took him from the Humane Society was a professional GSD trainer and hypothesized that Wolfgang was a grazing eater because he just picked at his food. He exhibited the same traits as Shadow when I got him home. He would grab a mouthful of food, follow me and drop it on the ground in the room I was in and eat it there. Rinse and Repeat. Gradually I found food he liked more and he more naturally wolfed down his food. The follow and drop eating behavior became sporadic over time as we bonded and he became sure of the permanence of his home. Shadow's behavior may well change over time just like Wolfgang's. Shadow sounds marvelous. Enjoy!
When given a treat, Shadow spits it out, and as if he was enjoying a great wine he sniffs all the aromas and savors the treat like he was at a gourmet restaurant. 1 treat = 5 minutes. Gotta love these dogs. Maybe he's just Fancy.
Wolfgang is is very handsome. Happy he was adopted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page